BOSE WAVE PLAYER

THE MEK

The wave radio is really good, I've had one in the past. However, if you're after something to really enjoy, get the Bose SoundDock Portable (Must be the battery version)

The SoundDock kicks out the volume and for the size of it, you'll be really surprised. Along with that, the battery lasts about 7 hours. So it's great for picnics etc.

Avoid the non battery one, as the speaker arrangement is different and the bass response isn't nearly as good. (I took it back, when I ran it side by side with the battery one)

You can pick one up off eBay for a lot less than a Bose retailer.

Invest in an Apple AirPort express and if you've got an iPhone, you can wirelessly play to the Speaker from anywhere in your house.

Oh and if you're after headphones, the Bose QuietComfort 15 are incredible and come highly rated from me.

Edited by Billy.

Yes, I have had a music centre wave for ten years now never missed a beat, they come with a cd multichanger now, the music centre one has a base unit in the middle. The sound is really great.Take trip to York designer outlet they have a Bose outlet shop where I bought mine,they sell cheaper, also have the full range and the Bose experience is good.

Atb figgy

Edited by figgy

Have a look at Sonos. You need a wireless network to use it, will play from your phone or computer. Once you have the first one up and running you can then choose to have more in other rooms, that will play the same or different in every room. I only have one unit but always have the option to expand.

I looked at the Bose systems, almost bought a sonos five but ended up ( as billy suggests) with an airport express plugged into the back of my exisitng speaker system.

I too looked at Sonos, but the speaker plus the wireless connection box totalled more than £450, so it seemed a tad silly, especially as the wireless bit didn't act as a repeater or print server. I've not heard the sound out of those systems, but the reviews were good.

Edited by Billy.

Don't know if Bose still do it, but they used to do offers where they send you the system for thirty days trial and you could return it if you didn't want it. Obviously there is an exchange of money involved but you could listen to the system in your home where the accoustics are completely different to a big shop.

Nice sounding system up to a reasonable volume, obviously not designed to run a party but load enough to wake the missus when you get home half cut and decide to have a boogy at 4 in the morning.

Bose Wave, IMO not great, Sonos is good (at what it does) but it is a different system to the others its a multiroom system and as such is expensive as single room solution (but nit expensive in real terms of music playing gadgets infact pretty cheap) The Bose wave systems are an oddball idea (used to only be sold direct from bose) although they updated them i still don't rate them for sound, are you after sound or convenience?

B+W Zepplin is good as is the B&O dock if your budget is £200-£300 then there isnt much else around its V cheap and nasty or a lot more money.......

Billy as for sonos not being a print server etc you've sort of missed the point of it. I saw the oddest system going the other day based on sonos.... but it was several grands worth.

Edited by HDAV

obviously not designed to run a party

I've seen it done successfully ;)

Billy as for sonos not being a print server etc you've sort of missed the point of it. I saw the oddest system going the other day based on sonos.... but it was several grands worth.

What I mean is that the Apple AirPort Express offers you AirPlay wireless music (supports optical audio too), Print server and a Cat5 port for anything that needs hard wiring to the network. Along with that, it'll work as a repeater, so pound for pound, you get a lot in a device the size of a cigarette packet.

AppleAirportExpress_size_10.jpg

What I mean is that the Apple AirPort Express offers you AirPlay wireless music (supports optical audio too), Print server and a Cat5 port for anything that needs hard wiring to the network. Along with that, it'll work as a repeater, so pound for pound, you get a lot in a device the size of a cigarette packet.

billy is it worth getting an airplay extreme ?

But it won't actually play music........... You can piggyback Ethernet off sonos as it uses a proprietary mesh network AirPlay isn't amplified doesn't have any speakers.........

billy is it worth getting an airplay extreme ?

That doesn't exist ;) AirPort Extreme is the main base station which doesn't have an audio output and AirPort Express is a smaller, but with fewer ports, but does allow AirPlay.

But it won't actually play music........... You can piggyback Ethernet off sonos as it uses a proprietary mesh network AirPlay isn't amplified doesn't have any speakers.........

When I looked at the Sonos systems when they first came out, you had to buy the speaker and a separate wireless base station to play to. I'm guessing times have moved on and they've integrated the whole system now.

The AirPort Express doesn't have a speaker or amplifier, but it can be seated next to any sound system and connects via the audio or optical output to the sound system. This is good if you're not keen on running a load of wires around the house. However the only downside is that AirPlay isn't instant as it buffers the audio, which takes a second or two, so changing tracks can take a second to kick in. Apple are apparently looking at changing this to use Bluetooth for instant streaming, but Apple being Apple, it's only speculation.

what about about a brennan jb7 its a mini jukebox, i have one and its excellent :good:

Ah the poor mans audio server neat idea but very limited, cheap though Sonos now have integrated units with speakers but the line out players are ideal for adding to a standalone system and the amplified ones perfect Dow powering speakers 20cm away or 20m away

Airport on Bluetooth ??? Bluetooth isn't the right medium for audio at a decent quality...... But it is apple do they will probably do it conveinice over quality every step of the way...........

That doesn't exist ;) AirPort Extreme is the main base station which doesn't have an audio output and AirPort Express is a smaller, but with fewer ports, but does allow AirPlay.

har har, I ment the airport extreme. was wondering if you have had any experience with using it plus the express to create a larger wifi network.

Edited by artschool

har har, I ment the airport extreme. was wondering if you have had any experience with using it plus the express to create a larger wifi network.

I've got a nice setup here. All nicely visualised in the AirPort Utility App ;)

gJqEg.jpg

The Extreme serves as my main router, but as it lacks an ADSL modem, it's hardwired into the ISP's router. Four further connections join this; Time Capsule, Apple TV (doesn't show up) and two Express routers.

I'd usually hardwire the Time Capsule, as the backups can take hours over wireless, but recently my backups have only been 100mb max, so it's a quick sync.

The Express routers are set to join the network and not extend, as annoyingly the iOS devices seem to like to join them, rather than the Extreme, which means they get a significantly lower bandwidth, as it's hopping twice.

The Expresses have Sound Docks connected to them and the Living room one has a printer connected to it, oh and the PS3 connected too.

Edited by Billy.