Painting decoys

the X is tipex look at the white neck and wing bar not the same is it this was taken under uv light which pigeons are supposed to see in

I think there eyes use more of the ultra violet spectrum...NOT...see in ultra violet...there 2 different things...

Some-one shoot me down if im wrong..

I think there eyes use more of the ultra violet spectrum...NOT...see in ultra violet...there 2 different things...

Im not 100% sure on the answer, but I use tip-ex and it certainly doesn't put them off.

mayby but you can see its not the same as the white on the dead pigeon :hmm:

You dont have any probs with it do you????..

If you do a search on the forum there are loads of people who touch up decoy neck bars using Tipex

I've personally never seen any adverse effects using Tipex.

mayby but you can see its not the same as the white on the dead pigeon :hmm:

Do pigeons actually see in colour..If they dont,then the purple wouldnt be an issue...each to there own i s'pose...

but if it works for Motty and Cosd...then count me in...

Do pigeons actually see in colour..If they dont,then the purple wouldnt be an issue...each to there own i s'pose...

but if it works for Motty and Cosd...then count me in...

according to the experts they do see in uv and if thats the case the photos are correct if tipex was the same in uv light it would be the same colour as the neck and wing bars ? but its not. answer that one :hmm:

Edited by linny

according to the experts they do see in uv and if thats the case the photos are correct if tipex was the same in uv light it would be the same colour as the neck and wing bars ? but its not. answer that one :hmm:

There are people on here that use tippex and shoot 100's of birds a week....EXPLAIN THAT!!!!..

They see in the UV SPECTRUM...NOT UV LIGHT..they dont have a purple flouresant tube in there claws do they...

Your seeing the real feathers through your eyes...how do you know what they look like to a bird..They might be purple..????

I was posting proven advice....Forget it.. :no: :no:

Edited by smig4373

whats up does the photo lie i dont think so. Eyesight: Pigeon eyesight is excellent. Like humans, pigeons can see color, but they also can see ultraviolet light—part of the light spectrum that humans can’t see. Pigeons are sometimes used in human search-and-rescue missions because of their exceptional vision.

Taken from the college of ornithology...

Pigeon eyesight is excellent. Like humans, pigeons can see color, but they also can see ultraviolet light—part of the light spectrum that humans can’t see. Pigeons are sometimes used in human search-and-rescue missions because of their exceptional vision.

They can see ultra violet light...NOTsee in ultra Violet....

whats up does the photo lie i dont think so. Eyesight: Pigeon eyesight is excellent. Like humans, pigeons can see color, but they also can see ultraviolet light—part of the light spectrum that humans can’t see. Pigeons are sometimes used in human search-and-rescue missions because of their exceptional vision.

Your looking at a photo through YOUR eyes...

Your correct they 'SEE' ultra violet light'....They DONT see in ultra violet...

Why is this so hard for you to understand...

and ? /is the photo wrong :hmm:

THE PHOTO IS BEING VIEWED THROUGH YOUR EYES...

The tippex is painted onto a piece of veneered wood...hardly scientific..

Forget it...You clearly having problems understanding the 2 concepts of vision...

You stick to your way and ill stick to mine...

Edited by smig4373

No one actually knows for sure what pigeons see.

Does tip-ex attract more? .... who knows, but it doesn't put them off. Like most, the decoys soon get replaced with dead birds anyway.

If your that convinced that UV is a must, then colour in the tip-ex with a UV pen and see what happens :good:

Edited by chrispti

Does tip-ex attract more? .... who knows, but it doesn't put them off. Like most, the decoys soon get replaced with dead birds anyway.

If your that convinced that UV is a must, then coler in the tip-ex with a UV pen and see what happens :good:

Exactly...

If your that convinced that UV is a must, then colour in the tip-ex with a UV pen and see what happens :good:

thats a good point

You dont have any probs with it do you????..

I've painted both normal shells and flock coated shells using tipex and I haven't noticed any problems with the birds not liking them. I'm not saying it attracts the birds any more by any means, but it hasn't done any harm.

People have used the decoy UV paint and I haven't read any review where anyone has noticed them being any more effective.

• 2 years later...