Stalking Jacket - recommendations?

JustFieldsports

Dear All,

Currently contemplating the purchase of my next shooting/stalking camouflage jacket.

It appears that Realtree is the way to go and I would be interested to hear in others' experiences; good or bad.

For a change, budget isn't the primary concern, but rather comfort, and functionality.

Uses ideally to range from rabbit and pigeon shooting to woodland stalking. Whilst it's something I'd like to be able to use all year, I'm also quite happy to ramp up the warmth using layering rather than relying on a big thick jacket, so medium weight would be ideal. And, he says, looking out of the window, I suppose waterproofing should be a factor to consider! :rolleyes:

Recommended brands and jackets, any one?

Many thanks in advance,

Graeme

Harkila Prohunter would be my choice. Ive used it for everything you stated, plus, as its a nice plain green I can wear it for other activities without looking like a nutter. Its 100% waterproof, comfortable, lots of pockets in the right places and very hard wearing. Its a bit warm for the summer though so I use an old mil surplus jacket or a realtree jumper instead. On the subject of mil surp, they actually make a very good allrounder if you buy one and nikwax it, plus they are cheap as chips!

I dont buy into the necessity for cammo, Ive shot in all sorts of different clothes and its not made much difference. But if you want realtree there are a lot of nice jackets out there, you are spoilt for choice really!!

Hi Graeme I use and have found the deerhunter tempest smock very good nice and light yet warm and dry. I have been in some horrendous weather in scotland in it and I kept warm and dry. I bought mine from Marsh Farm Country supplies. which I would highly recamend it cost me £130. The smock has got a very handy binocular pocket on it.

Anyone got any views on Rivers West?

I've had a Rivers West smock since January this year and really rate it. I've walked the dogs in it, been beating in it, shot clays in it (Including last Thursday in the heavy rain at the Classic), stalked in it, been out all day in heavy driving snow and rain on the Yorkshire Moors.....and it hasn't let me down once.

I am a definite Rivers West fan now.

I also own Harkila Prohunter jacket and trousers and to be honest they also have never let me down.

Pound for pound I will go for Rivers West in future.

Edited by Browning

realistically the pro hunter should be the best at the price as lets face it they are horrendously expensive.

Interesting to hear the feedback on the rivers west as thats more my kind of budget, I have had deerhunter gear for a while and its hard to fault for the money. But it is a different league to the Harilka gear

realistically the pro hunter should be the best at the price as lets face it they are horrendously expensive.

Interesting to hear the feedback on the rivers west as thats more my kind of budget, I have had deerhunter gear for a while and its hard to fault for the money. But it is a different league to the Harilka gear

Maybe one day, when I have infinite amounts of time; I'll write a gear guide with different price bands! Sounds like that would be useful! :)

Some others to consider:

I use this when a lightweight but highly waterproof outer is required.

This is breathable & having compared it to Rivers West Smocks and the Ridgeline Monsoon when dragging beats etc this one doesn't get too hot inside. The Rivers West and Monsoon were particularly "boil in the bag" and there was more water inside than out!

Country Covers (ARKTIS) Field smock

http://www.countrycovers.co.uk/products/11/field-smock-waterproof

When out in the colder months for the Hinds and Does

Montane Extreme Pro Smock

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/extreme/extreme-smock/99

In olive, this is by far THE best buy I have ever made for a cold weather outer, great hood, good ergonomics, not as long as the buffalo which frees up the legs that bit better if tramping over deep snow/heather/rashes etc.

It isn't 100% waterproof (similar to the Buffalo equivalent) but the pertex dries fast, the pile liner is superb, just add a merino base layer and bobs your uncle. Ive never been soaked wearing it is the nastiest of weather. The pile keep the heat and the cross ventilation is superb too.

I try to stear away from realtree/camo, I don't think there is much (if any) advantage to be gained. Movement, watching the wind and stealth are the key factors to get in close and drab clothing suffices.

Sad but true that public perception can can also be a factor for some guys if they stay in a more urban environment, green/olive/loden/drab colours doesn't bring as much attention as DPM/Realtree IMHO

There is a newer jacket on the market which has had very positive reviews, The Lowlander by Thistle.

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/10164/Lowlander-Jacket/

I'm considering one of these if I get the chance to try one for size.

Never easy is it....

I know what you're saying there Fister. I find my Ridgeline Monsoon smock to be the worst of the lot for breathability.

Having said that I am not convinced about breathability in clothing anyway. It doesn't matter whether I'm wearing my Harkilla, Rivers West,

Ridgeline or Deerhunter kit, I always get sweaty when walking hard.

The thing is to have good moisture wicking underlayers so the dampness gets wicked away from your skin, then when you eventually

do stand still you won't get cold.

Thanks, Browning!

Can you remember where you bought it from?

I have got the rivers west smock too, I got it off evilbay for about £150, I really rate mine. Could maybe do with adjustable cuffs or make them neoprene so they stretch better but thats been picky also you soon get a sweat on if it turns warm but other than that I can't fault it :good: they do them in olive drab which I went for or two types of realtree.

You can treat yourself to a new scope with the cash you save by not getting the harkila too :yes: