Single Trigger Side by Sides

Pillower

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a side by side shotgun and after playing around with a friend's gun collection (armoury) I think I have a preference for a single trigger. Obviously these are far more scarce than their double trigger sisters and I was wondering if anyone could make me any suggestions or share some experiences. My budget is £2,000 maximum for a second hand gun.

Many thanks in anticipation,

William

Whatever you decide to do don't buy an English single trigger gun, most of them are notoriously unreliable and prove impossible to regulate, trust me. I know. aya no 2 are superb value for money, single trigger examples also tend to be a little cheaper, don't spend your budget though, if you are patient you will be able to get a mint one for circa 1200, I think.

I have a Beretta silver hawk and it's bomb proof, made by Beretta, multichoke, I'll be able to sell it quickly if I want to and it comes to the shoulder nicely (like all Berettas).

If you buy something else you will always have it in your mind you should have bought one of these.

Am already beginning to go that way inclined as there's so much more choice. One can't seem to go too far wrong with an AYA No 2!

Didn't want to say that as it's not what you asked; but for sbs/live quarry double triggers are much faster and possibly less confusing. If you don't need ejectors - in reality, most people don't for live quarry and you only have then to pick up the cases - your budget puts you into a very nice English boxlock ballpark should you wish.

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a side by side shotgun and after playing around with a friend's gun collection (armoury) I think I have a preference for a single trigger. Obviously these are far more scarce than their double trigger sisters and I was wondering if anyone could make me any suggestions or share some experiences. My budget is £2,000 maximum for a second hand gun.

Many thanks in anticipation,

William

Hi i have a Union Armera 12g side by side shotgun with a single trigger that will be up for sale soon if you are interested. Here are a few pictures.

PM me for more info.

shootingcharley.

post-19992-0-11795200-1339835698.jpg

post-19992-0-00049400-1339835720.jpg

I have a Beretta silver hawk and it's bomb proof, made by Beretta, multichoke, I'll be able to sell it quickly if I want to and it comes to the shoulder nicely (like all Berettas).

If you buy something else you will always have it in your mind you should have bought one of these.

:good::good::good:

i now have an AYA No2 and i love it, but i did have a silver hawk, and over all i would say the later was the best, but thats just my view.

Edited by viking

One has to wonder why a S/S ST?

A S/S is a game gun, and the reason 99% are D/T is because its quicker to select the appropriate barrel ( and therefore choke and load), for the quarry in sight than it is to fiddle with a selector.

Good use of a S/S is to consider it as two single guns joined together. One has tight choke and is loaded for larger and more distant quarry - say no5 32g thru a 3/4 and good for a 40yd rabbit or larger bird at range

The other may be 1/4 choked and loaded 30g no7s for an overhead pigeon at 20yds.

With D/T you simply choose the barrel to optimise the shot - theoretically, its not BANG BANG, as the second barrel is not loaded / choked for the shot. Miss the distant rabbit with your 5's and the open choked barrel with 7s will wound not kill, while the No5s will blow a 20yd pigeon to smithereens and there will be no breasts for the pot.

S/T S/S are good for S/S clays, but if its game work, stick to D/T and use the gun to maximum effectiveness by using two loads and choosing the correct barrel quickly and easily by finger placement.

If the reason you are considering S/T is because you are consistently taking two shots at everything, invest in lessons so the first shot counts. There's a fair premium on S/T S/S's, while S/S D/Ts can be had for 1/2 the money like for like. Use the saving for some lessons.