Browning double auto

Steve72

Have been looking at the browning two shot auto in the for sale section, and have been doing a little reading on them. I unfortunately am not in a position to aquire one yet but think I may in the near future. What are people's thoughts on them.

I love the looks the hand finishing, and weight, ease of loading and I think they could be very sought after in years to come.

The fact that it only holds two rounds is not a problem for me as I tend to eat carts bing banging when I go pigeon / shooting with a three shoot semi.

Any experience comments welcome . The one currently for sale I think is a bargin.

Edited by Steve72

I've had a ponder over this shotgun myself a few times.Seems a very nice gun,and like you say,at a bargain price.It appears to have a hard rubber or 'bakelite' butt with the FN logo,which dates it from the late '50's to early '60's I think.Get it bought!

Mate of mine has one, they handle really well but the recoil is quite strong. A lot of the examples I've seen have a cracked fore end, but if you can get one in reasonable nick they're a good investment. Nice looking gun too

• 4 weeks later...

First encountered a Browning Double Automatic about 45! years ago ...eventually began a search for one last December(2011)..the one currently advertised appears to be the same one that I just missed at that time and is now up for re sale. After nearly 6 months researching the model and internet searching I've actually acquired two.. Pity I didn't buy one sooner they are a light, well balanced auto , a pleasure to shoot, handle more like a double barreled gun. Recoil is no more a problem than any other sporting gun. Points to note :- operates on a short-recoil action, does NOT need any adjustment for different loads; designed for and will ONLY cycle 70mm (2 3/4) cases although you can load 65mm as the first round; barrels are fixed choke only NOT TO BE USED with steel shot; the trigger safety can be a nuisance when shooting clays, although not automatic it is easily and inadvertently engaged; although only a 2 shot feeding in another round is extremely quick; an obsolete design produced between 1955 -1972; parts available but only obtainable from the USA; knowledge and some skill required to dismantle;

When buying, in particular, look for forend cracks (view my post here- http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=294975 ),the metal U plate in the rear forend can become detached causing damage; barrel removal/replacement DOES NOT require ANY FORCE but amateurs who haven't read the manual may have incorrectly adjusted the barrel lock-up which leads to the forend being hammered and a serious crack develops; the forend pin is not removed to take down the barrel but only withdrawn for a full dismantle, it should only require a firm push out but neglect can seize it in...

Any more info/advice look on http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=256346#p2170764 etc or feel free to contact me

Edited by border reiver

Very interesting thread this, I have one of these guns in the cabinet and to be honest I have never shot it :blink:

Think I might get out and give it a try before cleaning and putting away as a possible investment :good:

Be interesting to see who can add more info, especially those with personal experience....

Edd

Suggest you clean/lubricate before the trial, particularly if its stood unused in a cabinet for years. Details for starting a strip-down here - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=107555 . I have dismantled completely and rebuilt three DAs including - removal of the forend, the recoil spring and bushes, and the inertia block and springs housed in the stock. I have a pdf copy of an owners leaflet/parts list should anyone require one also happy to provide further info on a dismantle. A warning ...ignore any advice concerning moving the friction rings to adjust for different loads. This is not a Browning A5 ..the DA assembly is designed to cycle any 2 3/4 (70mm) cartridge without adjustment. I have used 32g and 38g target loads without problems. The alloy regulating cap screwed into the front of the recoil spring tube is used solely to adjust the barrel lock-up as explained in the manual.The mechanism is designed to cycle 70mm cases; a 65mm (2 1/2) cartridge can be fed in as the first round to close the action but the next one must be a 70mm (or at least of 2 1/4 unfired length)otherwise it won't depress the cartridge feeder sufficiently to unlock the carrier to feed the second round and the block will remain locked to the rear.

My 'Twelvette' is in use here -

-

using 28g loads, a 65mm is loaded 1st, then a 70mm. Non auto users shooting one would notice the shuffle as the barrel/block recoils back but its nothing like the long recoil effect of an A5. If you're concentrating on the target you're not really aware of it. The action will still operate even if fired slightly off the shoulder. Ideal gun for skeet/sporting clays but would not be popular on a DTL layout! Good for in a hide too.

Don't know if DAs will become desirable collectors investments in the UK. During my search I encountered a couple of extremely over optimistic asking prices which I wouldn't even consider paying. They are really only worth the price you are prepared to pay and bear in mind a dealer would not offer you much for a trade-in. Private sellers tend to overvalue; auction prices are a better indicator and successful bids I have seen are quite reasonable. Pristine examples appear to attract high inflated prices in the States and there are sufficient variants over there to attract some enthusiastic collectors. For myself they offer a unique unusual design, are well assembled, were built in comparatively low numbers, and are a good handling gun to shoot.

I would be interested in details of your own ...? steel or alloy action, vent rib or plain barrel length/choke , ser. no.

b.r.b.

Edited by border reiver

• 7 months later...

Recently, I received an enquiry about the need to use 70mm (2 3/4") cartridges to enable the D.A. action to feed the second round .... I've taken a couple of pics which illustrate my description above and should make it easier to understand ....

post-52945-0-52879900-1362475706_thumb.jpg

post-52945-0-91897300-1362475771_thumb.jpg

post-52945-0-59665900-1362476721_thumb.jpg

The longer case pushes the cartridge feeder forward to unlock the lifter. To close the action on an empty chamber simply push in the feeder (plunger) with your thumb, hold the bolt cocking lever to prevent the bolt slamming forward particularly if the barrel has been removed and mind your fingers. As I mentioned in my earlier post, to load a 65mm first just push it further forward to release the lifter ....(I should add that at the time I had a stock of 65mm cartridges to use up, now I just feed it 70mm, my old gas operated Winchester 1500 devoured anything)

Edited by border reiver

Completely agree with the comments above ... they handle well, are of quality design and construction but would be too expensive to re-introduce. With an unusual mechanism they had limited appeal and apparently only 65000ish were manufactured over 17 years of production. You occaisionally find them appearing for resale in varying condition ... with cracked forends/stocks, replaced butt plates,lapped out chokes, cutts compensators and other horrors, some examples can be good to very good.

I have two Twelvettes in the good category but still keep an eye open for a Twentyweight and/or a standard steel action in good order. I'm also looking out for another quirky design of recoil semi auto, a Winchester Model 50 or 59 .......

Edited by border reiver

Owners handbook .. Follow this link if you want to download a pdf copy of a Double Automatic owners booklet .....

https://workspaces.a...fMSKlRwa8DvoC8g (if it doesn't work just pm an email address and I'll send it direct)

The original document was a single folded sheet to give 6 pages on one side and an exploded parts list on the other. Jigsaw the parts pages together to form the diagram (one page was copied skewed). I also have a copy of another version but this one is better.

and for the technical minded here's the 1952 U.S. Patent documents ...

https://workspaces.a...HkcE*qlHsT95D*g

I'm surprised by the interest in this topic (gun) with 1000+ views ....

Edited by border reiver

I had 2 in the 70's and did a heck of a lot of clay's with them , got one from Elderkins & Sons Spalding when you could get shotguns posted , sadly my last one went missing from Shaw & Crompton Clay Pigeon Club in the late 70's .

Always had a soft spot for them , found them quick to load and thanks to posters putting up pics and info .

Shot mine for the first time today, well all i can say is what a great gun, seriously i did'nt miss a clay! thats a first for me ,did teal, skeet, low tower, rabbit, gun shot without a fault ,i could feel more recoil and there was a definate sense of the springs working as stated in other forums all you do is just keep feeding it and away it shoots. All in all very happy. :)

• 2 months later...

Steve72

Thanks for explaining the feed issue with 65mm cases and for putting up the pdf. I traded an old style T-bolt for my Twelvette, several years ago, just as I was taking a break from shooting (after running a club range for 14 years). I shot it for the first time at a duckshooters event several weeks ago and it is a great gun that I hope to use for a bit of upland work.

You have made a huge effort to help the rest of us and I really appreciate that fact.

P.S. My one has a polychoke.

Edited by ZG47

Steve72

Thanks for explaining the feed issue with 65mm cases and for putting up the pdf. I traded an old style T-bolt for my Twelvette, several years ago, just as I was taking a break from shooting (after running a club range for 14 years). I shot it for the first time at a duckshooters event several weeks ago and it is a great gun that I hope to use for a bit of upland work.

You have made a huge effort to help the rest of us and I really appreciate that fact.

P.S. My one has a polychoke.

there was one for sale in the gunshop at Launceston for a long time back in the seventies , had a polychoke with a broken leaf