17 replies to this topic

#1 dannyp0666

dannyp0666
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-July 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

hello all. i am haveing a bit of troble with my sons bsa lightnig.
i have given it a full service with new spring, seals and it dose not seem to be shooting right.
it seems to have droped a lot in power since it has been done. i have tested it and it is only shooting 10.1fp
and advice would be a big help. thanks

#2 Underdog

Underdog
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3958 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

i have given it a full service with new spring, seals and it dose not seem to be shooting right.
it seems to have droped a lot in power since it has been done. i have tested it and it is only shooting 10.1fp

Which spring please?

I only ask because I had a Titan spring from new collapse from the get go!

U.

#3 s4s

s4s
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 02-February 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

You state new spring so I guess that's it.you may wish to add a few washers in the piston to add weight and preeload ,start with 2 washers correct size as your not far away from limit.most tuning kits include them for finer ajustment.good luck.

#4 NIGHT SEARCHER

NIGHT SEARCHER
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 06-December 10

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

It might just need bedding if you have put a lot of grease in it and the new seals are tight it will take a tin of pellets before it starts to free up. :yes:
It could easily go up 1 ot 2 ftlb after a tin of pellets what is the recoil like. ???
I have had it in the past were putting an OX or TITEN spring in a gun has caused more recoil and less ftlb than the original spring. :sad1:

HAPPY :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

#5 pimpkiller

pimpkiller
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Joined 03-June 10

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

If iys a standard spring, it might be spot on, I think most XLs are 10.5lb as standard. Dont forget a different pellet will give a different result.

#6 mad1

mad1
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2166 posts
  • Joined 07-April 10

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Can I ask by changing the spring did it get rid of the twanginess as I have the same gun and don't like using it :no:

#7 NIGHT SEARCHER

NIGHT SEARCHER
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 06-December 10

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Can I ask by changing the spring did it get rid of the twanginess as I have the same gun and don't like using it :no:

The lighting has always been BSA work horse for vermin control but has always had a repp for being twangy. :yes:
Only having it tuned might make it less twangy and a lot smoother but i would spend the money on a HW 77 or 97. :yes:

HAPPY. :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

#8 hawkfanz

hawkfanz
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Joined 10-April 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

howdy both my mate an me have lightnings bought together less than a year ago,an while i like the size an style theyre nowere near as strong as bsa claim,the best i can get is 9.32 ft/lb with rws superfield and 9.29 with rws superdome.mine fired about 2,000 slugs an my mates lightning is no better.so were do they get this 11.5 ft/lb from is beyond me.but i still like it.

#9 dannyp0666

dannyp0666
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-July 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I fitted a Titin spring. It has a bit more recoil but not much more than normal. It's had a tin of pellets through and still no good. Am thinking of going down the gas ram route.

#10 pboro shot

pboro shot
  • RA Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Joined 15-August 11

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

not sure if they still do them, but i brought one of the first lighting late 90s i think and fitted a theoben gas ram made a lot of difference less recoil and was a lot quiter ,the shorter barrel sups power but as said let the spring bed in i found with short barrel air rifles you have to choose you pellets carefully

Edited by pboro shot, 17 July 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#11 dannyp0666

dannyp0666
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-July 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Its not as twangy as it was. but still quite twangy. My son loves it got him a air arms s200 and he likes the bsa more lol.

#12 dannyp0666

dannyp0666
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-July 12

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Am using rws super domes always liked them. Might need to change

#13 NIGHT SEARCHER

NIGHT SEARCHER
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 06-December 10

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

I fitted a Titin spring. It has a bit more recoil but not much more than normal. It's had a tin of pellets through and still no good. Am thinking of going down the gas ram route.

Why keep spending money on a lighting :crazy: a gas ram will be 60 to 70 and it might be smoother but no more power. ???
The Air Chamber on a lighting isn`t that big so it will be very hard to get it up to the 12 ftlb mark. :sad1:
You would be better of getting your son an HW57 they are a full power light weight springer that`s very accurate and HW quality NO CONTEST it will wipe the floor with the lighting. :drool:

#14 Underdog

Underdog
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3958 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

It'll do 12 allright!

If you used a standard spring it needs more preload, probably more than a 1/4" of washers. Add some lead if you want too.

These short strokers need the spring to over come any piston bounce from the compressed air. Often the cause of some twang!

U.

#15 dannyp0666

dannyp0666
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 16-July 12

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Am not that clued up with air rifles a would not know where to start putting washers and that lol

#16 kent

kent
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12753 posts
  • Joined 05-August 10

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Why keep spending money on a lighting :crazy: a gas ram will be 60 to 70 and it might be smoother but no more power. ???
The Air Chamber on a lighting isn`t that big so it will be very hard to get it up to the 12 ftlb mark. :sad1:
You would be better of getting your son an HW57 they are a full power light weight springer that`s very accurate and HW quality NO CONTEST it will wipe the floor with the lighting. :drool:

So hard that BSA do them FAC rated for export :yes:

#17 NIGHT SEARCHER

NIGHT SEARCHER
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1111 posts
  • Joined 06-December 10

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

So hard that BSA do them FAC rated for export :yes:

How much do you wont him to spend :balloon: and export model is a totally different animal. :yes:
Different spring--piston--piston weights--and other mods and hard to cock and they kick like a mule. :yes:
How many second hand FAC lightings have you seen i have seen **** all. :yes:
Hatsans and Cometa have to bring the power down from 22 ftlb to under 12 ftlb to import them in to the UK :yes:

#18 Underdog

Underdog
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3958 posts
  • Joined 24-March 11

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Am not that clued up with air rifles a would not know where to start putting washers and that lol

Take the spring back out (Iknow it's a pain on these) and add some washers into the piston where the spring drops in. Bar stock can be cut, brass or steel. I have used lead between washers too. Check the power after.

If it gets coil bound and won't cock you may need to remove a coil. Check the replacement spring has not collapsed, seen that before too.

My recent stock xl tac shot rubbish untill I did the above, just under 12ft/lb and super accurate.

Good luck.

U.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users