I`ll be the first to say it

CZ550Kevlar

I was watching from my holidays in Ireland and was initially embarrassed . After my whisky took effect then up pops the Queen , Mr Bean ( who I usually cannot stand ) , dancing nurses , Pistols etc ; I decided we were watching something pretty unique . Not just the Beijing Aint we the biggest and Best " . I dipped into many of the more intelligent comments in the media and think it was pretty good , pity our mens archery team are out .

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cynical at first but i thought it was magnificent.

You might slate the NHS but it was and still is one of the best healthcare systems in the world, we were the heart of the industrial revolution and ruled most of the world from this small island.Have i made my point?. Be proud! If we don't like the country we live in, bit like a job you don't like- move!

It might havde been cheesey at some points but it got the message across... This is what we have achieved, this is what we do!.

You needed a certain level of intelligence to appreciate the concept but I thought it was bloody brilliant :P

I wish they wouldnt persist with old Mc cartney though ...hes had his day and his voice is gone....if he gets any older they will be able to exhume Lennon and Harrison and have a reunion because Carts looks like a corpse with hair die...

Time to retire gracefully Paul old chap.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Does that make any difference? :hmm:

Yes, it makes a big difference.

If you're going to put on a show showcasing what made Britain great I don't think you can cover up the fact that most of the original ethnic population to this country came from our colonial conquests.

If we're going to tell the story, let's at least tell the whole story.

You needed a certain level of intelligence to appreciate the concept but I thought it was bloody brilliant :P

I wish they wouldnt persist with old Mc cartney though ...hes had his day and his voice is gone....if he gets any older they will be able to exhume Lennon and Harrison and have a reunion because Carts looks like a corpse with hair die...

:yes::yes::yes: I guess not many know our history ...with you on this one mike :good:

Better than Beijing?

Yes of course it was. Here you can like or dislike and criticise openly or laugh at the spectacle?

Over there in China you would be forced to attend, forced to like it and if you didn't then the next time we would see you was breaking rocks in Harbin Province or enduring your Room 101 fear.

Edited by Katzenjammer

The Olympics have been putting bread on my table on and off for 10 years. Most of the projects I have contracted to have been linked. I think Danny Baker did us all proud. I found the the 2100 - 2200 part very intense and was fizzing at the bung hole with national pride. Who could watch that choir with imagery of our green and pleasant land and not be moved? Danny Glover didn't miss an opportunity to remind the rest of the world that they followed in our wake for chuffing centuries. I only wish I'd managed to see it all.

Congratulations Danny Behr on a job well done. Truly spectacular and awesome. :good:

They Should knight that Danny La Rue :good:

Edited by ack-ack

Why would we want to do that?!

What, you mean why tell the truth?

Well admittedly it may not have gone down too well with some of this country's more 'liberal' minded folk, but then they've never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Jesus Christ, there is some miserable tossers on here!

I thought it was absolutely brilliant and the only thing that would have made it better would be if Paul McCartney had died a long and painful death on stage, maybe along with Bryan May. But hey, you can't have it all!

If you didn't think that was a decent show that gave you as much as a glimmer of national pride or a good chuckle then you are beyond help and probably best crawling back under the rock from where you came!

We can think what we like but I reckon the rest of the world would have made little sense of it, won't know and won't care for Danny Boyle and will now think we are crackers.

We can rub ourselves up and congratulate on a terrific opening ceremony but have a think what someone in Paraguay would have made of any it save to reach the conclusion that we're a nation on crack.

At least the Chinease had it right - teeth, tits, fireworks and shoot anyone who cocks up.

Mike.

Paul has never had a good singing voice .....Not even when I used to watch the group all those years ago down in the sweaty Cavern Club.

However widely opinions on the ceremony as a whole vary, it is interesting to see there is complete unanimity in the view that Paul McCartney is a ****.

What a shame he's a vegetarian animal rights tree-hugging a**e and won't be reading this forum. He never was a Paul Simon and the Everley Brothers made him and Lennon look and sound like kareoke drunks.

What I can't understand is why all public ceremonies these days have to degenerate into pop concerts. Pop music is not the apex of British cultural achievement, as was so ably demonstrated in this case.

I had a feeling it would be cheesy and didn't hold any hope for it and I work for a big sponsor ,but after watching the opening night with the wife and four kids youngest is 9 they understood wot it was all about ,well done every one involved I for one was proud :good: ,the german salute was WRONG if that was us well we would have been dragged over the coals

Edited by bullet1747

My daughter in Madrid says it went down well with the spaniards and here spanish friends - very english and unique. Her german friends and the german press said it was eccentric like the english but again unique. The French friends and the french press said what a boring place the world would be without the english

What she probably meant to say was 'what a German place the world would be without the British' but couldn't bring her self to say it :lol:

Oh you don'tknow my daughter! She would! Her way of describing the various nationalities was not as spanish, french, german etc! :lol: I had to modify it for on here.