Shot size legality

Reading on tinternet it appears it has to be a minimum of 6 projectiles per cartridge so BB, SSG, SG, or larger as long as you keep it to no less than 6 projectiles would be fine I assume.

If you don't mind me asking? Why the need for such a large round? Foxy can be dropped with BB and he is about the biggest thing you would legally be able to use a shotgun on in the UK surely?

Edited by Lord Geordie

Section 2 (carts you can have on a shotgun certificate):

cartridges for smooth-bore guns

containing five or more shot, none of

which exceeds 0.36 inch (9 mm) in

diameter

From the HO guidelines. I'm not sure what that equates to in numbers/letters, but that's the legal limit without going to section 1.

Cheers guys,

Was not for any quarry in particular, I just got to thinking about it yesterday and I knew that slug had to be on an FAC but I didn't know if and other shot sizes had to be as well. It all came about from reading on a Yank sight about "double-ought buck shot" and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

Cheers

Ian

bedwards is spot on with 5 or more .36 cal balls being on SGC. Don't ever try to fathom the wisdom of this law though. The .410 with one .36 ball leaving the barrel is section 1. My 12 gauge throwing 9 of the same balls is SGC. :hmm: I guess it comes down to legal "need". Don't let the old fuzz know that most of us outside of PSG don't have any need for a 12gauge with buckshot that big though. ;)

Edited by sterling

Years ago a friend got some LG(.36) and we developed a magnum load with 12 of them in a 12g. they worked well to 40odd yard on charlie. The tub was soon consumed and we never bothered again.

U.

Ouch, that's a heavy load! When hunting in the US, I saw a 12 gauge buckshot load used on a whitetail deer from about that distance. It was horrible. The pattern, if you can call it that, had hits anywhere but the vitals and needed a .357 to finish the poor animal. For curiousity's sake, it's fun to have a few unusual shot shells but for me, I have no use for anything smaller than #8 or bigger than BB.

Ouch, that's a heavy load! When hunting in the US, I saw a 12 gauge buckshot load used on a whitetail deer from about that distance. It was horrible. The pattern, if you can call it that, had hits anywhere but the vitals and needed a .357 to finish the poor animal. For curiousity's sake, it's fun to have a few unusual shot shells but for me, I have no use for anything smaller than #8 or bigger than BB.

Absolutly, for deer no more than 25yds! One or two ball stopped the two fox we shot, like I said we did not bother again (we were young!)

I could cover my bases with your suggested sizes too :good:

U.