Yosemite Sam

Shooting as sport in UK schools.  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should shooting be part of the UK national curriculum?.

Incidentlly Scully I go out of my way to help any new comers or you lads into shooting & get out the clay trap & teach them safety & about the rights & wrongs of shooting but if I knew of some one who could not not be trusted then I have to make a judgment yes Scully a judgement ! some times we have to make these judgements to protect our selves & those around us now is that wrong with that ? .

I was following the events of Dunblane on the radio & one member of a pistol club said in a bbc radio interview that Thomas Hamilton had applied to join his pistol club & this chap said " we had heard about this man & we would not let him join " that is an independent judgement ie trusting your gut instinct some times it has to be done now tell me was that club wrong to refuse Hamilton ? .

Any way as Nick has just said it will never happen for all the obvious reasons so there is no real point to be gained here .

Great to see you are feeling better after your night out & have a nice day .

Pole Star . ps I read your comments to one of the girls I know who have been looking after disturbed teenagers for years & all I can say is she was very angry.

Edited by Pole Star

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the worst things wrong with today's society are those who think that by shouting the loudest and spouting the most twaddle they can force their bigoted views on others.

No one is saying that every last child in the country should be let loose with a firearm without supervision.

We had such instruction at my school and I don't remember seeing pupils acting inappropriately or going on the rampage. The vast majority of those from school with whom I am still in contact, have continued to shoot to this very day. Fortunately the firearms act recognises this and are only to happy for young people to be granted SGC's and FAC's.

Quite why a poll and topic such as this has been hijacked by those who consider that all children should be deprived of the chance of formal shooting instruction just because a very small number of children have psychological problems is beyond me.

Quite right Charlie T but as I just said I am always willing to help new comers into shooting so long as they are polite & treat shooting with some respect & I think they are o.k.& can be trusted . From talking to my two friends who work with problem kids all I can say is " the scary & sad thing is " there are many more around than we realize . Regards Pole Star

ps I read your comments to one of the girls I know who have been looking after disturbed teenagers for years & all I can say is she was very angry.

Blimey, I wouldn't trust her near a gun then.

I mean if someone can get 'very angry' at a comment on the internet God only knows how they'd react if they had real issues in life?

I hope your guns are safely locked up when she's about. :ermm:

We have a shooting team at our school that does rather well nationally. Suggesting that Shooting is made part of the national curriculum is going a little bit too far. As far as I'm aware, no sport is NC compulsory.

The REAL problem that needs to be overcome is Health & Safety!!! In my experience, Independent Schools are more willing to deal with H&S because there's no LEA tying their hands.

Blimey, I wouldn't trust her near a gun then.

I mean if someone can get 'very angry' at a comment on the internet God only knows how they'd react if they had real issues in life?

I hope your guns are safely locked up when she's about. :ermm:

Now come come Poontang you know what women are like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Granty, as I said, I have taught in both maintained and independent schools. "Health & Safety" is too often quoted when what is really meant is "I cannot be bothered to pursue this". There are times when I can sympathise with the latter point of view. I have gone down the road of getting approval for clay shooting - essentially what was required was confirmation that the shoot was organised to a recognised standard; instructors were qualified; a proper safety briefing was given; there were sufficient school staff to provide a 1:10 supervision. None is particularly onerous and is consistent with a properly organised activity where the adults involved have responsibility for other people's kids. Would you want any less if it was your child involved?

It is possible if you try.

Nick

Incidentlly Scully I go out of my way to help any new comers or you lads into shooting & get out the clay trap & teach them safety & about the rights & wrongs of shooting but if I knew of some one who could not not be trusted then I have to make a judgment yes Scully a judgement ! some times we have to make these judgements to protect our selves & those around us now is that wrong with that ? .

I was following the events of Dunblane on the radio & one member of a pistol club said in a bbc radio interview that Thomas Hamilton had applied to join his pistol club & this chap said " we had heard about this man & we would not let him join " that is an independent judgement ie trusting your gut instinct some times it has to be done now tell me was that club wrong to refuse Hamilton ? .

Any way as Nick has just said it will never happen for all the obvious reasons so there is no real point to be gained here .

Great to see you are feeling better after your night out & have a nice day .

Pole Star . ps I read your comments to one of the girls I know who have been looking after disturbed teenagers for years & all I can say is she was very angry.

You've missed the point entirely....again.Your latest ramblings above simply emphasise this fact,and the fact you choose to ignore the point I made about not drinking.You must be one hell of an instructor!Conratulations!

You obviously haven't taken the time to sit down and THINK as I proposed.

You're correct,there is no point(at all)to be gained from debating this issue with you.....it appears I was correct,you clearly can't cope.I think you and I are done on this particular topic,your puerile comments dumbfound me.

You've missed the point entirely....again.Your latest ramblings above simply emphasise this fact,and the fact you choose to ignore the point I made about not drinking.You must be one hell of an instructor!Conratulations!

You obviously haven't taken the time to sit down and THINK as I proposed.

You're correct,there is no point(at all)to be gained from debating this issue with you.....it appears I was correct,you clearly can't cope.I think you and I are done on this particular topic,your puerile comments dumbfound me.

Scully my dear chap PLEASE give it a rest its over ! you differ I differ I am getting bored with you as I am not an internet troll & don't suffer from any anger problems or drink problems & I sincerely hope you don't too so please just go away & seek what ever it is you need or want some where else on the forum or some other site & I wish you the best that luck has for you .

Kind Regards Pole Star have a nice day !

Edited by Pole Star

"Health & Safety" is too often quoted when what is really meant is "I cannot be bothered to pursue this".

Amen to that! I used to have the most lazy science technician who always treid to palm you off with the comment "Have you risk assessed this?" The funniest was when she asked me to risk assess having a second pet hamster in my lab. I calmly asked for the original form back and wrote "x2" in big writing on it!

Haha! How dangerous can a hamster be? My last school, quite a few of the staff took their dogs into class with them. One, a physics teacher, trained his black lab to growl when he said something like "that wasn't very good, was it?" in a certain tone of voice. Problem is that the boys would spoil the dogs rotten and you know how greedy a lab can be... The woman Head of Classics used to ride a motorcycle with her Bernese mountain dog in the sidecar - when I commented it was like Wallace and Grommit one wag replied "kind of, Sir - but in that the dog rides in the sidecar". I asked if he would like to explain his joke to her but he declined!

Nick