How do I build a road across a field ?

Catweazle

The problem with piling up the spoil either side is you are creating a channel. Water can't get out so will run down the surface.

Two wheel tracks are ok if the driver doesn't wander off them, easily done especially in a tractor. Just one rear wheel off and into the soft stuff will muller it over time.

Of your two preferences 1 is the best bet provided the sub base is laid correctly and the width allows for tyres up to tractor size plus 30%.

Only cost effective way. Problem with two single wheel ways is the turning of the wheels on a slight bend puts lateral pressure on the surface. I've done straight drives in very expensive victorian brick pavers with fancy aggregate between but the turning area has always been beefed up.

There is a mesh you can lay on a sub Base that's either plastic or pre formed concrete. May do what your after if money is an issue.

If you can operate a 360 you will save a heap of money if you do the basing out. If you can't you can now get a system that fixes to the arm that precludes over digging.

don't buy mot, its a fortune, just use crushed concrete, keep the cost minimal, but you need to remove turf at least before whacking down the concrete, then stone it with some 20mm.

Similar to what i would do on a driveway,excavate and lay teram then crushed concrete wacked,then lay another fabric and stone on top of this,if you dont lay second fabric crushed concrete and stone end up mixing and ruts will be created.

If you only lay base stone in wheelings then you will be doing it forever and wheel ruts will get deeper and a mound will develop in the middle,the farm i shoot on is like this and is a nightmare after sugerbeet harvest,the tracks that are full width never have problems.

A lot of the farmers around here are making farm tracks out of what look to be concrete railway sleepers. I assume they are cheap at the moment as several of the farms local to me have piles of them ready to go down, and some quite impressive tracks made.

Plus one, where I go (Shropshire, North Wales border) he's been very busy with them