Refinishing the stock on an AYA Yeoman

Andy135

I've been a bit of a lurker on PW since I joined, so its about time I contributed a bit. I thought I'd share how I refinished the stock of a 1969 AYA Yeoman bought recently from a Holts sealed bid auction. This was the first time I've tried anything like this so it was a learning experiment for me. I'm posting this on the off-chance that it might be of interest.

As I bought the gun unseen (apart from a single photo & brief description on the Holts website) I wasn't quite sure what condition it would be in when it finally arrived. As it happens it was mechanically sound, with only very minor scuffing of the left chamber, good bores and good bore thicknesses (left .035", right .040" - much more than the recommended minimum of .020"). It had a very minor dent in the right barrel, so minor that I didn't detect it, but the keen eyes of Frank, my local gunsmith, spotted it and straightened it out in less than a minute with a barrel dent raiser and a 4oz hammer. Overall it was in reasonably good condition, and Frank & I suspect that it's not seen much use in it's forty or so years. It has most of its original colour hardening and the bluing also appears to be original and in good condition, even on the top lever which suggests that it's not been opened that often.

So far so good. However the stock had seen better days - numerous cabinet marks, scratches and dents, plus what looks suspiciously like a hole made by a woodworm - but at least this suggests that the gun has been left in store for a number of years instead of being used.

The stock as it was originally.

106_2032.JPG

Dents to the hand of the stock

106_2107.JPG

Dents in the forend wood

106_2113.JPG

Before stripping the factory varnish I removed all the metalwork from the forend and remove the action from the stock. In order to avoid stripping the heads of the screws with regular screwdrivers I made up some DIY turnscrew bits from few old screwdriver bits I had by filing down either side of the bit to leave it straight and parallel.

DIY turnscrew bits

100_2160.JPG

To remove the forend extractor mechanism I removed the dome-headed screw from the underside of the forend and then the small screw on the top side that passes through the diamond-shaped washer. Once this screw was removed, the washer itself was gently tapped out with a pin punch.

Using a pin punch to tap out the washer from behind

106_2092.JPG

The washer working loose

106_2093.JPG

Moving onto the stock, in order to remove the action the first screw to remove was the trigger guard screw, followed by the trigger guard itself, which simply winds out on a threaded pin at the front of the guard.

Trigger guard removed from stock & action

106_2061.JPG

Then the rear trigger plate screw was removed, followed by the top tang screw, which is located under the top lever - the top lever must be pushed in order to gain access to the screw head. Once these are removed, the last screw to undo was the trigger plate screw, which was the largest and most difficult to get turning. Once removed the trigger plate was tapped loose by passing a pin punch between the flats of the action until it met the underside of the trigger plate. One or two taps and it worked loose. At this point the action, trigger plate and stock all parted company and the gun was fully stripped down.

Yeoman in component form

106_2099.JPG

The next step was to strip the factory finish, in this case a layer of varnish with added stain/colour. I used Nitromors brushed onto the wood and left a minute or two to bubble & blister.

Paint-stripping the factory finish

106_2115.JPG

I removed the Nitromors by gently scrubbing with 0000 gauge wire wool and most of the varnish came off with one coat but one or two stubborn spots needed a second coat & scrub. After finishing all the paint-stripping, the wood turned out to be very light.

Nice clean wood but lighter than expected

106_2126.JPG

I chose to remove the worst of the dents in the wood by covering them with a damp tea towel and ironing them - I was a little sceptical at first that this method would work, but work it does, and very nicely too. Some of the deeper dents took a couple of goes to remove, and one or two dents just wouldn't disappear but on the whole I was impressed at how easy and effective this technique turned out to be. Next I sanded the wood down with fine grade sandpaper to remove any grain that had risen during the stripping and ironing - it was easy to tell as the surface feels almost gritty to the touch and reflects light in a different way to the rest of the wood. The aim here was to remove as little wood as possible, just to flatten down the grain to an even, smooth finish.

At this point I toyed with the idea of applying a stain to the wood - I have a bottle of Birchwood Casey walnut stain but it comes out of the bottle very dark, almost black and I thought that this would mask all of the grain & figuring. I hoped that the Tru-Oil I planned to use to finish the wood would darken it up as well. As it turned out it did darken it but not as much as I was hoping.

The stock darkened a little as the first coat of Tru-Oil went on

106_2134.JPG

Next time I do this I'll use some stain, perhaps diluted 50/50 with water and give it a couple of coats until I get the right shade & depth. Given that this is the first time I've tried this, I'll chalk it up to experience (or lack of it) and learn for next time.

Stock after the first coat of Tru-Oil

106_2136.JPG

The Tru-Oil went on nicely - the hard part I found was avoiding smudging bits I'd already coated as I worked my way around the stock. The first four coats I left for 24 hours and then rubbed down gently with 0000 wire wool to remove some runs and smudges. The 5th and 6th coats went on with no rubbing down in between - these were very light, thin coats dabbed on by a finger and rubbed in by the palm of the hand until the dab spread out. After the 6th coat had dried the finish was looking pretty good (to me at least!).

106_2138.JPG

106_2139.JPG

106_2142.JPG

106_2143.JPG

So now all that was left was to put it all back together again. This was the part I'd been looking forward to the most; seeing the gun with a shiny new stock & forend.

Collection of shiny parts ready for reassembly

106_2149.JPG

Reassembled gun

100_2166.JPG

100_2168.JPG

Some before & after pics...

Forend dents: before

106_2113.JPG

Forend dents: after

106_2144.JPG

Dents at hand: before

106_2107.JPG

Dents at hand: after ironing, sanding and Tru-Oil

100_2182.JPG

100_2185.JPG

Next time round, I'd definitely want to stain the wood before finishing, but apart from I'm pretty pleased with the way it all turned out.

Thanks Gozzy. I'm planning to keep it to use this season as it fits me nicely, then not sure. I might redo the stock with a walnut stain to see if I can improve it further or I might put it up on Gunwatch and make room in the cabinet for another stock to do.

Thanks Jonathan, in total it took me a week, and most of that was waiting for the oil to dry between coats.

Each coat took me half an hour to apply properly, and I did six coats, leaving 24 hours between each coat, but the preparation before oiling took me two and a half hours - roughly as follows...

Taking it apart took me about half an hour, going slowly and being careful not to strip any of the screw heads. The paint-stripping of the old finish took about an hour, again going slowly and thoroughly. Ironing out the dents took me half an hour. Sanding down the grain and general cleaning up of the woodwork before oiling took about 15 mins.

Reassembly was the quickest part, only 15 mins to put it all together once the last coat of oil had dried.

Edited by Andy135

Cheers Andy, thanks for the info.

I fancy doing mine before the start of the pheasant season. Was it easy to maintain the detail of the chequering??

Personally I would prefer mine to be a little darker in colour but yours still looks ace.

Well done

Edited by jgguinness

Fantastic thread :good:

I have just bought an AYA Yeoman and it needs the stock refinishing. I will probably send mine off though for the price of getting somebody else to do it, and it will probably be a better job. I am still very tempted though :hmm:

It's really not as difficult as you think. Just take your time, don't rush it & you'll be fine. This was my first attempt & it turned out ok, I reckon, so I'm sure you'll be able to do the same.

Cheers Andy, thanks for the info.

I fancy doing mine before the start of the pheasant season. Was it easy to maintain the detail of the chequering??

Personally I would prefer mine to be a little darker in colour but yours still looks ace.

Well done

The chequering was actually ok to do. I cleaned it up by working the paint stripper into the grooves with an old toothbrush, then cleaned off the toothbrush before using it to clear out all the old stripped finish. I then went through the worst grooves with the blunt side of a dinner knife, to redefine them where necessary. Then, I only put a single coat of Tru-Oil on the chequering, to avoid clogging it and losing definition.

I agree that a darker colour would have been better, and I was in two minds about staining it. Seems that all the colour of the original stock was in the original varnish finish, not the wood itself. Next time I will definitely use stain, just lack of experience that stopped me from doing it this time round.

As a rough guide to stain darkness before tru-oil goes on i put a drop of water on the stock and smear it with my finger, then when the tru-oil goes on thats roughly the shade it will be. I used the birchwood casey stain before but didnt like it so used whikses own brand antique pine instead and the colour and grain pattern looked loads better in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Recently given my AYA No4 16b the same treatment and I also discovered the stock was much lighter when the original finish was removed. I tried staining with some Texas (long gone diy store) American Walnut stain. I've hand oiled the stock but its still too light. Can anyone recommend a shade of probably better quality stain eg Coldron that will give me a dark redy brown colour?

I have just finished the first cost of tru oil on my Birmingham made boxlock.

I used birch wood casey walnut stain and applied two neat coats - I agree it does look dark out of the bottle but I wanted a dark finish - it actually dries a lot lighter though.

a1eeba09976660d79d91cab3f145eb23.jpg

Lots more coats of oil to be done over the coming week.

I'm coming to the end of re finishing the stock on my HW60 22LR

It really is a process you needn't be daunted by.

I used the Birchwood Casey kit cost around £15, I diluted the stain and used 2 coats.

I'm on about the 7th coat of Tru Oil now and it looks great!!!

Well worth doing it yourself.

bought a yeoman a couple of days ago. Guess I know what I'm doing over my christmas week off work..

thanks for the detailed explanation!

You're welcome Jim. The whole process is actually very easy. I've just finished doing the stock on my Browning too. Will post up here shortly.

I have just finished the first cost of tru oil on my Birmingham made boxlock.

I used birch wood casey walnut stain and applied two neat coats - I agree it does look dark out of the bottle but I wanted a dark finish - it actually dries a lot lighter though.

a1eeba09976660d79d91cab3f145eb23.jpg

Lots more coats of oil to be done over the coming week.

OscarsDad, that looks very nice. I have the same stain but was hesitant to use it as it looked too dark. If it gives a finish like yours then it looks like I had nothing to worry about. Good work.

• 2 years later...

A thread worth resurrecting me thinks! ... followed to the letter and photo's. Alll in bits in 10 minutes. Stock/forend stripped today. Wood slightly better grained than l'd been.lead to anticipate.

l'm thinking of a darker look then Andy135, just personal preference, something similar to Oscarsdad stock, colour wise.

Thanks Andy135 ... you're post was very helpful .. atb

Edited by hoggysreels

Hi Guys,

first of all many thanks for the thread, it as given me the confidence to attempt striping and refinishing a English box lock I have just purchased, the only issue I have is the stock looks like burl walnut, very marble effect, what kind of oil or finish would you use? To enhance the wood.

Cheers

williamr.