Beach fishing around Sidmouth

Dougy

15lb main and a good shock leader to allow you to fully compress the rod without losing the terminal tackle. 15lb main is sufficient as long as your drag is set right on your reel and you play the fish.

Exactly - just remember if you are using a fixed spool you need your drag locked down to cast otherwise it will slip. Multi no problem as drag disengaged for casting

Thanks chaps.its actually braid so should cast ok,i must up my leader though,its my first time beach casting so I am approaching it with expected fluff ups lol.. Looking forwaard to it. Oh! The reel will be either a shimano 4000 or simalar bait runner,any good ???

I love Sidmouth! Been going to the Victoria since I was 14 years old.

Can't help you on the fishing but can direct you to the best pint of cider and crab sandwich.

Havnt drank cider since school days, was really bad and never touched it since, crab butties sound nice though,

01395 274918 Exmouth fishing tackle shop

they are in the strand Exmouth.....

jacobs ladder is a popular spot with the locals , rag worm, is a good all round bait also try a lure for bass, + sand eels are very productive,

Ladram bay can produce some nice evening fishing, stunning location and cheap parking.. budleigh can produce some nice evening fishing as can Branscombe

when are you heading down ?

Thanks chaps.its actually braid so should cast ok,i must up my leader though,its my first time beach casting so I am approaching it with expected fluff ups lol.. Looking forwaard to it. Oh! The reel will be either a shimano 4000 or simalar bait runner,any good ???

Shimano 4000 baitrunner ? I'd say that would be to small for beachcasting (better suited for spinning), just out of interest what sort of rod are you going to use ?

I asume your going to use a mono leader attached to your braid ?

Edited by lumpy

The rod is a cheapo Rod Hull (Ron Thompson) 12 foot, i really cant see the point in over spending, the use its going to get is maybe once a year after this, and its a big maybe. It wont be for a couple of weeks or so, i may see if there are any deals at the Midland this weekend for a bigger reel.

Yes a mono for the leader. not too fussed about lures as its more tackle to buy that i wont be using much after.

The most important part of the tackle is going to be the seating :lol:

You should be ok with your carp reels, just make sure you pump the line back in and don't crank it with the reel and then give them a good rinse in fresh water afterwards. You don't need to cast miles so don't get hooked up on distance being essential - plenty of good fish caught 30yds out.

Most important piece of tackle I would say is bait elastic - makes a hell of a difference if you use soft fish or crab baits.

Rigs do not need to be complicated, just a simple paternisters with 60lb rig body and 25lb snoods with 1/0s on the end should cover all bases. If you want to keep cost down then you can get away without all of the fancy rig swivels and beads and stuff and just tie a stand-off loop in the rig body and then tie the snood to that - no point in buying loads of gear for a few trips and this can work just as well as all the shiny bits. Ready made rigs can be ok but are expensive and often poorly tied.

don't use braid as a leader it will take your finger off, it does not flex, and if you don't know the right knot to use you will send it skyward with a six ounce lead attached to it doing about 170 mph, is there a glue that can be used to help bind the knot? all said if you are a beginner at it good luck and enjoy yourself, expect a lot of fluff factor, and buy lots of bait elastic as well!!

I have been fishing for quite a number of years,(mainly course,a little fly and a few days sea fishing around Donegal for Cod,Pollock,Ling ect) possibly more than 40 :yp: so knots are not a problem using braid or tying rigs it the Beach bit i have never done before, Thanks for the offer Jasper but i think we should be back that week. I am looking forward to the huge amount of fish i am going to catch :lol: