68 replies to this topic

#61 Vermin Dropper

Vermin Dropper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Joined 02-November 03

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

It has probably already been said but for what its worth....

I also like to angle the pegs away from the side you expect to get the rabbits, this way the rabbits run well onto the net and start to get tangled before they hit the back of it.............if that makes sense. :lol:

#62 tiercel

tiercel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

Vermin Dropper

http://forums.pigeon...-1064757100.jpg

Great minds think alike :) So all fools say :lol: ;) :D Tiercel

#63 tiercel

tiercel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:04 PM

Old Rooster. If i thought that it would not be to any advantage i can assure you that i would not go to the bother of rigging the nets every 6 ft.

I worked as a professional fisherman for many years i quickly learned how to rigg nets to the best advantage. I then took the princilpes involved in rigging nets for bottom living fish (sole ,place etc) and applied them to catching rabbits.

The meathod i use for my longnets is an adapted version of a danish rigg where the headline is tied in and the leadline just runs through the bottom selvage. If you are in any doubt about the catching powers of that type of rigging i suggest you look at this.

http://forums.pigeon...showtopic=3118#

I made him 200yds of net in various lengths. He later told me that he had used the nets alongside his late fathers and had not lost a rabbit out of them. Where as his fathers traditional running nets had lost quite a few rabbits.

#64 fert

fert
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 16-January 05

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:19 PM

i think tide in bag is pretty esential when out at night.it isnt so bad setting a running kill net in the day cause you can see where the bag needs to be.but at night when taking op your sets you gotta becarefull that the bag dont run to one end. once all your bag is tied in its better to pick up you dont have to worry about the bag going anywhere.tiersal i know a few folk who tie there bag at 36 meshes t 6ft.i have 2 fifty yarders with the bag tied in at this calculation seems to work for me.i see you make your own nets tiercal.would you be interested in making me a couple of 50 yard hemp nets?

#65 tiercel

tiercel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:55 PM

:lol: ;) :D Fert i gave up making nets years ago i just rigg them now from sheet netting. Thanks for the offer though.

#66 LIDLOR

LIDLOR
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 04-October 05

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

how big should the pegs be and how many would you need for a 50 yard net ??? ???

#67 fert

fert
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 16-January 05

Posted 25 March 2006 - 03:01 PM

about every 5 yards depending on ground conditions and how many rabbits are going to hit the net and about 2foot tall

#68 Slipster

Slipster
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Joined 19-December 05

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

Tiercel

Many thanks for your help (pictures)

Found it a lot easier than i thought it would be :lol:

Attached Images

• Ferreting.JPG

#69 dogfox

dogfox
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Joined 06-February 07

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

ive had my net for a good few months now as an addition to about 45 purse nets and i was wondering how do you fold yours , a few pics would help LOTS

much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users