Ok for a twenty bore the best cartridge is??????

I use gamebore traditional game 28g no5 fibre wads for pretty much everything there great. I've not been shooting 20g very long and when I first got it got a mixture of different weights and shot sizes to see what worked best, my wife uses hull three crowns 23g no7 and there incredibly gentle on the shoulder but still kill ok at sensible distances. I've tried various 25, 26 and 28g no6/7 loads too and there all good. My personal favourite for rabbits is rc20 32g no4's but at £9 a box there a bit too steep for an every day cartridge. If i was you i'd get a selection and seeing what suits you best mate.

Often people buy a 20 and then put 12 weight loads in it and wonder why it kicks like a mule. To start with don't exceed (the wrong way) the 96 to1 rule and adjust from there as you see fit. Having said that, if it's an OU the odds on are that you won't anyway.

Pattern fails before energy so with a lighter load you need to keep the pellet count up. If you can handle the 28 then for pigeon, 61/2 (2.5mm) will give you the same count (ish) as 11/8oz of No. 6. If 28 is too much then a lighter No. 7. For pheasant, apart from our traditional No. 6, you may like to try a German No 6 which equates (ish) to what would be our No. 51/2.

By keeping the pellet count up you also have the benefit of avoiding too much choke which can make life difficult at shorter ranges.

Most of all, enjoy.

Cheers

I wont entertain less than 28 grams of 6 in a 20gauge for general roughshooting. Shooting an auto makes it easy on the shoulder though. Plastic wads seem to help those longer range shots when reloading.

I also like 30grams of 5 shot in a subsonic fibre load for pigeons over decoys.

And 24grams of 4 shot in a fibre subsonic load for close range rabbiting down the hedgerows

Edited by sitsinhedges

ealy vip game 28g 6's work for me.phesant and pigeon.

Sorry i should of added i use the 20b for fast snap shooting and lighter to carry and easier to load in sxs form, than the lump off a 12b o/u,whilst working two dogs,not too fussed about the recoil,also like to kill what i shoot at. my way of thinking is ,the more lead in the cartridge the greater chance of hitting the bird whith the right chokes at the right distance.

Lyaldale Express Special Twenty are a very good cartridge. From experience the 7 shot 28g are great, smooth and consistent.

Yesterday I shot 61 pigeons with Eley VIP "photo degradable wads" 28g no 6, I had two winged runners :innocent: my fault probably?

RC JK6 T3 in a 26g No 7 (UK 6.5) is up there.

Fiocchi GFL 28g in a No 6 kicks like...... but kills those longer ones and really good in a Semi-Auto.

For me the best 20g 28g game cartridge is the Hull Sterling Game. They used to load this shell in a photo DWad, I have a few left but it looks like everything has gone fibre wad ???

The important think is match your cartridge to your gun utectok. If you have purchase a nice light English 20 bore game gun my advice is rubbish.Shoot a lighter cartridge and something paper cased, oh the smell.............

Edited by Whitebridges

Nothing boring about the SP cracking 20g I reckon.

For decoying try 25g 7s from either Eley grand prix or Lyevale Express.For roost/pheasant Eley VIP 28g in 5/6s.Gamebore trad game 28g 6s good too.Had lot of fun shooting 20g this summer and as a hide gun pretty tough to beat.Its only downside is non toxic fodder.....cant find a decent duck shell for 20g...

lylevale or gamebore traditional didnt work for me! pure gold in 30g #6 is perfect for EVERYTHING!!! i dont have a 12 any more because the twenty kills just as well with these as any 12 :good: deffo noticed the difference in knock down power when i switched to these! or RC 3" 34g for the canadas when i use it for duck :shifty: but then theres the 3 1/2 inch auto for them