Ultimate 12g Marsh gun

roughshooter

I came across a bit of a project recently - a bit of a rarity as it was something I had never seen before.

The gun was an AYA 12g side by side 3" magnum, single selective trigger, ejectors and 30" barrels choked half and full. Pistol grip stock and beaver tail forend.

The interesting thing with the gun was the sheer weight - it weighed in at 10lbs, which is comparable to a 10 bore.

I contacted AYA and found that this was a model 400E and was a preproduction run of the matador and was made in 1961.

The gun shot like a dream as it was but after conversations with a few mates it was suggested that the gun would make a ideal 3 1/2" super magnum to shoot steel, heavyshot or whatever.

I took the gun into the gun quarter and had the chambers lengthened, chokes adjusted to 3/8 and 1/2, bores polished and submitted to proof house to be redesignated as superior steel shot proof.

The gun has finally come back and patterns superbly and even with my home made 3 1/2" super fast steel recoil is comfortable and with factory 3" it is just like shooting a clay cartridge.

post-2911-0-48147100-1351804739_thumb.jpg

I will try to get some pics up at some stage

Regards

Graham

Edited by roughshooter

I recently acquired a Zabala Canadier 12g 3 1/2' 32' barrel SXS, seems well made I really like it it weighs 9.6kg double triggers, but it has a little painful party trick if you pull the rear trigger first it fires both barrels at the same time and I will leave it to your imagination what happens needless to say I tried it with 2x 48g bb's at around 1400fps it hurt like **** I can still feel it now as no doubt did the pinkfoot it really is a awesome tool and look forward to using it the rest of season.......

I came across a bit of a project recently - a bit of a rarity as it was something I had never seen before.

The gun was an AYA 12g side by side 3" magnum, single selective trigger, ejectors and 30" barrels choked half and full. Pistol grip stock and beaver tail forend.

The interesting thing with the gun was the sheer weight - it weighed in at 10lbs, which is comparable to a 10 bore.

I contacted AYA and found that this was a model 400E and was a preproduction run of the matador and was made in 1961.

The gun shot like a dream as it was but after conversations with a few mates it was suggested that the gun would make a ideal 3 1/2" super magnum to shoot steel, heavyshot or whatever.

I took the gun into the gun quarter and had the chambers lengthened, chokes adjusted to 3/8 and 1/2, bores polished and submitted to proof house to be redesignated as superior steel shot proof.

The gun has finally come back and patterns superbly and even with my home made 3 1/2" super fast steel recoil is comfortable and with factory 3" it is just like shooting a clay cartridge.

I will try to get some pics up at some stage

Regards

Graham

Can I ask roughly what sort of figure the work on it came to?

interesting, there cant be many old s/s guns that get the chambers lengthened to 3 1/2" and i feel sure its of better build than a lot of new cheaper made imports

My gun was made in 1961 and I am sure was discontinued due to the cost of manufacture - the extra weight as compared to the modern matadors is all in the barrels at the breech end so the weight is between your hands and it is hard to imagine that it is 10lbs without weighing it. I have a Kestrel 10 bore that is 11lbs yet feels like a scaffold pole in comparison to the AYA

I recently acquired a Zabala Canadier 12g 3 1/2' 32' barrel SXS, seems well made I really like it it weighs 9.6kg double triggers, but it has a little painful party trick if you pull the rear trigger first it fires both barrels at the same time and I will leave it to your imagination what happens needless to say I tried it with 2x 48g bb's at around 1400fps it hurt like **** I can still feel it now as no doubt did the pinkfoot it really is a awesome tool and look forward to using it the rest of season.......

Designed with the triggers like that so that you have a poor man's punt gun to take 'flock shots' when birds are bunched up on the water.

OK as long as you always pull the front trigger first.

Pavman bought a similar and gave himself a nasty shock too...

Designed with the triggers like that so that you have a poor man's punt gun to take 'flock shots' when birds are bunched up on the water.

OK as long as you always pull the front trigger first.

Pavman bought a similar and gave himself a nasty shock too...

I don't think I'll be doing it again nearly rattled my teeth out and still hurting now........

Roughshooter - You don't need to be a camera expert when the gun looks like that.

Absolutely superb.

Well done and my wishes that you get a lot of fun with it on the marsh.

You must have worried a little when it was going through proof testing.

Proof was a worry - If I ever do anything similar again then I will send guns down to London as birmingham are a pain in the backside.

They seem to be making up new rules all the time.

The original blueing on the gun was superb but according to proof house the outside of the barrels were not flat enough and so therefore had to be struck off - this cost me another £100. (This is how the spanish make there guns and is not an issue)

They were not too happy about doing superior stell proof and did there damnest to blow it up I am sure!!!!

A gun was also refused that week because of a few hammer marks on the outside where a dent was raised - this also had to be struck off and reblacked afterwards.

This will become a major problem with reproofing old guns and more will end up being deactivated - a crying shame

Regards

Graham

Edited by roughshooter

Proof was a worry - If I ever do anything similar again then I will send guns down to London as birmingham are a pain in the backside.

They seem to be making up new rules all the time.

The original blueing on the gun was superb but according to proof house the outside of the barrels were not flat enough and so therefore had to be struck off - this cost me another £100. (This is how the spanish make there guns and is not an issue)

They were not too happy about doing superior stell proof and did there damnest to blow it up I am sure!!!!

A gun was also refused that week because of a few hammer marks on the outside where a dent was raised - this also had to be struck off and reblacked afterwards.

This will become a major problem with reproofing old guns and more will end up being deactivated - a crying shame

Regards

Graham

yes it is a shame, i am also wondering what the breakdown of costs and total the gun stands you at today? fully realising that you cannot purchase such a quality today.

Is that 48gm of steel? If it is, i would love to know the recipe as i can't find anything over 42gm that can be pushed at 1400fps through a 12.

Did you buy the gun at an auction by any chance?

Kg are you sure you dont mean lbs? my Zabala double ten only weighs 10 lb 8 oz, that 12 is like over twice the weight!

Is that 48gm of steel? If it is, i would love to know the recipe as i can't find anything over 42gm that can be pushed at 1400fps through a 12.

Did you buy the gun at an auction by any chance?

Hi ya no I got it from John forsey guns, and no your right its 42g with Alliant steel.....

• 7 years later...