50g 3 cart made my gun fall apart

born_2_kill

I have a AYA magnum sxs 12g and today for the first time I though I would try some 3 inch 50g cartridges in it. However this resulted in my fore-end comming away from the barrel during the round being shot. The fore-end doesnt feel loose in anyway at all however it is quite easy to remove when unlocking the leaver.

What would cause this and how can it be fixed, also could it have caused any other damage on the gun. I will be getting it looked at next weekend by my local gunshop

You put a 50g cartridge through an AYA 12 bore 3 inch magnum side-by-side?? What on earth were you shooting at?

50g is the equivalent of around one and three-quarter ounces, and should be regarded as a 10 bore load, or even a light 8 bore load, and best suited to a gun weighing around 10lbs and appropriately proofed. How heavy is your AYA? And what service pressure is it designed for?

I can't understand this vogue for increasingly heavy loads. Is it some sort of macho daftness? Or a lack of basic knowledge about shooting? Why can't people get it into their heads that they can't stuff increasingly heavy loads into guns without creating high pressures, brutal recoil, and stresses that will shorten the gun's life - and possibly the shooter's life, too?

The fact that a particular type of cartridge can be fitted into a gun DOESN'T mean that it's SUITED to it!

Edited by aldivalloch

You put a 50g cartridge through an AYA 12 bore 3 inch magnum side-by-side?? What on earth were you shooting at?

50g is the equivalent of around one and three-quarter ounces, and should be regarded as a 10 bore load, or even a light 8 bore load, and best suited to a gun weighing around 10lbs and appropriately proofed. How heavy is your AYA? And what service pressure is it designed for?

I can't understand this vogue for increasingly heavy loads. Is it some sort of macho daftness? Or a lack of basic knowledge about shooting? Why can't people get it into their heads that they can't stuff increasingly heavy loads into guns without creating high pressures, brutal recoil, and stresses that will shorten the gun's life - and possibly the shooter's life, too?

The fact that a particular type of cartridge can be fitted into a gun DOESN'T mean that it's SUITED to it!

Proofed at 1200 kp/cm2 and I think the gun weighs around 6.5 pounds and I intended to shoot foxes but didnt see any today

Edited by born_2_kill

Proofed at 1200 kp/cm2 and I think the gun weighs around 6.5 pounds and I intended to shoot foxes but didnt see any today

What pressure test limit are the cartridges safe to shoot within? Should say on the box. If under 1200, shouldn't have damaged your gun...

Could just be down to wear on the catch's.the hook type catchs should be straight and sqaure on the barrel and forend,easy fix if worn by a gun smith.

They are nice and square and sharp, not worn in anyway which is strange, maybe they dont meet and interlock far enough....

Edited by born_2_kill

Could be. Next thing could be you didnt put it on right.That would be the best fix. And im not having a go as i have done this.Always knock mine on with the ball of my hand now.

This is what I orginally thought, so I refitted the fore-end nice and tight and re-test and the same thing again.

Confusing one I will let my gun shop take a look.

Thanks again every-one that actually helped for you help :D

I used a couple of 50 grain loads in my Urika 391, testing them for a fox load, and the gun failed to load the next cart.

Why? On inspection, the plastic and metal recoil buffer in the rear of the action had sheared.

Quite possibly this may have happened anyway due to wear and tear, but even in a gas operated semi auto, the felt recoil was 'decent'.

You tried it again! who are you "born to kill", yourself perhaps? take the forend off and try and waggle the barrels, any play? if there is your gun has simply shot loose over the years. I shoot a fair few shells of this nature through a 3" s/s foxing and its quite safe in a good condition 3" magnum, proof pressures mean very little as all guns will wear with age and use and abuse eventually becoming unsafe to use without repair