Ferreting Essentials

Guest HandleBar

Guest HandleBar

Right, things are coming together to actually be able to go ferreting and I'm compiling a list of essentials - if I've missed anything I'd greatly appreciate some helpful pointers

• A Permission

• Ferrets

• Ferret Finder (spare collar & batteries)

• Purse Nets

• Spade

• Knife

• 10 year old child to do the running :lookaround:

Are these essentials?

• Long Net

• Gate Nets

For after ferreting

• Wine

• Beer

• Radox

• Hot bath

Have I missed anything?

Right, things are coming together to actually be able to go ferreting and I'm compiling a list of essentials - if I've missed anything I'd greatly appreciate some helpful pointers

• A Permission

• Ferrets

• Purse Nets

• Spade

• Knife

Are these essentials?

• Long Net

• Gate Nets

For after ferreting

• Wine

• Beer

• Radox

• Hot bath

Have I missed anything?

Dad

I can give you a permission or 2.

You have a Ferret box courtesy of Mad1

there is not much more you need and Christmas is on the way.

Guest HandleBar

Food and drink for your ferrets. I take a bottle of diluted milk (3 parts water) and offer them some red offal from the rabbits. they need to eat too, and especially drink.

Thanks for the advice and I don't wish to seem ungrateful or rude but everything I've ever read or heard is never to give ferrets milk. If I'm wrong I apologisee now.

PS mine love an egg so maybe I'll take one of those.

Edited by HandleBar

water for them to drink

I always fed mine normally when ferreting, including small bit of liver/kidney from a rabbit mid day in the ferreting, along with water, never once had a fert go to sleep down a hole

they have too much fun

Same here. I've had them nod off in the box between buries but once out and given a sniff of a burrow their tails frizz up and they're keen as mustard again.

Right, things are coming together to actually be able to go ferreting and I'm compiling a list of essentials - if I've missed anything I'd greatly appreciate some helpful advise

• A Permission

• Ferrets

• Purse Nets

• Spade

• Knife

Are these essentials?

• Long Net

• Gate Nets

For after ferreting

• Wine

• Beer

• Radox

• Hot bath

Have I missed anything? Take some gloves rabbits bite sometimes when pulling them out of the hole especially when you get a big grumpy buck

Edited by Ryan gun

In my bag I have

purse nets

stop nets

spade

locator collar[batteries]

secateurs

small bill hook

short t bar

gloves

and a plastic pot with elastic bands in for the purse nets.

A BIG BAG OF LUCK :good:

I saw the suggestion on field sports TV last night, and elastic band around each net, lets you know if you have missed any, simple but very clever.

I saw the suggestion on field sports TV last night, and elastic band around each net, lets you know if you have missed any, simple but very clever.

thats the way my dad taught me when I was a kid.Its not the loss of the nets its the fact a purse net left over a hole is a very cruel thing.Look forward to your future forays mate it will become a life lost to the ferret from now on atb ED

Spades are for digging a garden!

Good strong graft… http://s856.beta.photobucket.com/user/TheEssexHunter/library/Digging%20Graft

When purse netting on my own then just a small hand scythe to clear any nettles.

Long netting.. A long handled slasher, hand scythe, when we make a clearing for ditch nets then a light weight rake is invaluable for clearing the loose dead brambles which will foul up a ditch net in a second.

A pair of side cutters because a lot of old barbed wire buried in hedges is a right pain in more ways than one.

When taking a youngster then I would stick to small warrens for a couple of seasons to gain knowledge as digging on your own down 4/5 foot is a mission.

TEH

• 2 weeks later...

small spade from screwfix works really well when digging deep holes and room is tight.....i use this one from screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-micro-shaft-round-point-shovel/53829

a machete is a must for clearing brambles and the likes of.

And a t bar for probing tubes is a must when digging......if you need one pm me i make and sell them on evilbay.

flask and sandwhich's or soup in the flask its hard work digging and works up a hunger.