#61 bothbarrels

bothbarrels
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hello There
I skinned my first rabbit tonight,and it stinks.My question is about gutting it,I cut off the feet and head with an axe,unzipped its skin and pulled most of the guts out,but right at the end when I was rinsing it in the sink I noticed I had left its poochute in,right under the tail,along with those really stinky green glands.How does that bit come out?:good:???
MARK

I find it best to gut the rabbit out in the field as soon as you've shot him. saves any nasty smells indoors!! :good:

#62 bothbarrels

bothbarrels
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 25-November 07

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

i always seem to have problems skinning a rabbit.the skin always seems to be stuck solid and i have to keep cutting it off. if i hold the carcase and try pulling it off i can feel the ribs cracking! what am i doing wrong???

check out this youtube link...loads of tutorials matey!! :good:

#63 bobby

bobby
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 11-March 10

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello There
I skinned my first rabbit tonight,and it stinks.My question is about gutting it,I cut off the feet and head with an axe,unzipped its skin and pulled most of the guts out,but right at the end when I was rinsing it in the sink I noticed I had left its poochute in,right under the tail,along with those really stinky green glands.How does that bit come out?:welcomeani:???
MARK

Hi M8
I always put a knife over the pelvic bone poochute lol bang on it and break the bone then take the bone out and clean. this way you dont end up with currents in your rabbit stew

#64 bobby

bobby
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 11-March 10

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hello There
I skinned my first rabbit tonight,and it stinks.My question is about gutting it,I cut off the feet and head with an axe,unzipped its skin and pulled most of the guts out,but right at the end when I was rinsing it in the sink I noticed I had left its poochute in,right under the tail,along with those really stinky green glands.How does that bit come out?:welcomeani:???
MARK

PS i find it easyer when gutting to open up the belly when out in the field. hold the rabbit belly down and shake it so the guts hang out. hold the rabbit by the back legs and flick it hard in the oposite direction. most of them should fly out inc s?it bag (smelly part if cut). pop your hand in and just pull out the rest if any.
if your giving the rabbit to some1 else ask if they want the liver etc heart leaving or taking out.
the liver is the big red part. kidneys are stuck on the underside of there back. if you put your fingers inside the rabbit towards the head they is a thin membrain the hert is just behind that.

#65 jollysp2

jollysp2
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Joined 08-December 08
  • From:Born an bred in Chorley but now live in oxfordshire / northamptonshire

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:04 PM

I would say THIS is defo the best IMHO. :welcomeani: :hmm:

#66 the running man

the running man
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1108 posts
  • Joined 04-April 10

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

i agree,with last post.

#67 Colster

Colster
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1645 posts
  • Joined 20-May 09

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

My method for gutting in the field:

Stand up and hold the rabbit belly up with it's head in your palm and your thumb round it's front legs. Let the rabbit hang down and this will naturally push the chest up towards you. Stick the point of the knife into the sternum (stops the knife going straight through), then angle the knife down parallel to the skin and slice down to open it up.

Put index and middle finger in between the liver and stomach and pull down, the stomach and intestines should all come away in one go and can be discarded. Leave the liver and kidneys in for now.

Check the liver for spots, this is a sign of liver fluke, if present discard the rabbit.

My method for skinning: -

Cut off all four feet and the head then with the gutted rabbit laying on it's back, work your fingers between the flesh and skin near the back legs. Use both thumbs to work more skin away from the leg area until you can pop the leg through, carry on with your thumbs working over the back of the rabbit until you can get the other leg out. Make two small cuts into the flesh on the rabbits back on either side of the tailbone.

Hold the tail and twist and pull, this should bring out any remaining poop shoot, now hold the rabbit by the back legs with one hand, get a good grip on the loose fur with the other and pull.

My method for cleaning:

Wash the rabbit throughly, making sure you clean out the pelvis, remove kidneys and liver.

Lay the liver down and look for a small sack (will often look like a small rabbit dropping but can sometimes be clear). Look at where this attaches to the liver and pinch it at this point then pull it out. This is the rabbits gall bladder and will make the liver taste sour and bitter if left in.

Poke your fingers up inside the rabbits chest cavity and break through the diaphragm to remove the lungs and heart. Discard the lungs but the heart is worth keeping (I add a bit of minced heart, kidney and liver to my bunny burgers, it helps them stay together while cooking so I don't need to add egg or rusk).

Soak the rabbit for a few hours (or overnight) in salted water, this will soften the meat and draw out the blood (equivalent to hanging).

Once your rabbits have soaked you can freeze them whole or do either of these:

My method for preparing:

Method 1 - Boiling

Put the rabbits into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for a few hours, you'll know when they're done as the rabbit will be literally falling apart. When they get to this stage, drain them and allow them to cool slightly, then strip the meat off and place in a bag with a little olive oil. You can freeze this for using whenever now.

Method 2 - Filleting - http://www.youtube.c.../12/b8OO2vAwzQY and http://www.youtube.c.../11/PMtUSMbHrtE

Place the rabbit belly down on a chopping board, using a good sharp knife, cut though the flesh from the tail bone following the line of the leg muscle and cut all the way round. Now you can see the leg joint, gently press the tip of the knife into the joint and give it a small twist, this should dislocate the leg so it can be removed. Do the same with the other back leg.

The front legs don't have a joint as such so just need cutting around and they'll come away.

To remove the saddle cut from the shoulders down to the hips, placing the knife just to the side of the spine (not on it), when you get past the ribs make sure you're going all the way through the flesh. When you get to the hips, turn the knife out to the side of the rabbit. You should now be able to just lift the saddle off in one piece.

To bone out the legs, lay it with the inner thigh facing up and cut the flesh to expose the lower leg bone. Get your thumb and forefinger underneath the bone to create a gap to get the tip of the knife into and cut out to the end of the leg to release the meat. Now hold the exposed bone so it's pointing straight up and cut down to release the leg meat.

Edited by Colster, 14 June 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#68 benisbob

benisbob
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 19-August 10

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

i have been reading though that and have found it all useful but was wondering if someone could post come images about removing the pelvic bone from the rabbit

#69 salop sniper

salop sniper
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • Joined 30-January 08

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

I wouldnt remove it, Just buy yourself some new garden shears the pruning ones and like a pair of scissors push the bottom blade through the pelvis and cut ,then it will split right open ! Or use a knife but be carfull and be awear that its likely to take the edge off your blade ! :lol:

#70 jock16f

jock16f
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined 30-November 10

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

is that a mini rug for your barbie house lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users