Review Of The Chiappa 1887 Lever-Action Shotgun

ChAoS

Review Of The Chiappa 1887 Lever-Action Shotgun

On the American gun forums, you may come aross the quote:

"If you shoot to win, you often lose. But if you shoot for fun, you *always* win."

Thus it is with me; I shoot PSG for fun and when it came to buying a gun to use, I elected to get something that would pretty much guarantee that I'd be placed near the bottom in any matches. However, the upside is that it would also ensure that I had more fun than everyone *else* put together!

In mid-2011, I ordered a reproduction Winchester 1887 from the Italian "Chiappa" company. I wanted the "Cowboy Hunter" version which has a 22" barrel and comes with *two* RCGs (Right Cartridge Guides) that enable a 7-shot or only a 2-shot capacity.

Another company, Norinco of China, also produce a '1887 clone. It is approximately half the price of the Chiappa - 600 squid versus 1200 - but has the following differences:

[a] Fit (but see later) and finish isn't as good as the Chiappa.

It has a fixed (TC) choke whereas the Chiappa is multi-choke and came with TC, MOD and FULL chokes.

[c] The Chiappa comes with a "lifetime" warantee.

[d] The Chiappa is made-to-order and so, unless you're *really* lucky, you won't be able to buy one "off the shelf".

My gun took a *long* time to come, having been delayed by such things as the Italian Police staging a go-slow because of changes to their working conditions. (I kid you not. At least, that's what Chiappa *said*.)

My gun was supplied by Western Shooting Supplies:

http://www.westernsh...s.com/page2.htm

One supplier of the Norinco is Bassetts Sporting Supplies (of which I know nothing):

http://www.bassettsg...uk/shotguns.htm

The gun was delivered to my "tame" RFD and when I 'phoned the RFD, he said that he'd ordered one for himself because he liked the look of it so much. (More on this, later.)

And it is, indeed, *very* pretty. The blueing on the barrel is nice, the wood is "OK" but the case-hardening on the action is *wonderful*. This gun would not look out-of-place over *any* mantelpiece.

Before ordering the Chiappa, I did a bit o'surfing and I was told that the 1887s are heavy with "strange" balance, so I wasn't expecting a gun that was *easy* to shoot. In the event, I've got very used to it and don't really notice the "strangeness" anymore.

It is, quite simply, *great* fun to shoot. May main love is pump-action shotguns and, in particular, I like the Ithaca M37. The 1887 is never going to be as easy to shoot as a pump - whereas pumps, in general, work better the more "manfully" you pump them, the lever-action requires a little "finesse"; you can't go *too* fast because it seems that this encourages it to eject not only the fired hull but the next live round as well.

However, get the speed right and it's a breeze.

One big difference from a standard pump is that it doesn't have an action release button and will *not* feed a round from the magazine unless the hammer is dropped. It's *this* which, I think, is the root cause of problems shown in a few YouTube films of people firing their guns for the first time.

They load the mag and, without loading one into the chamber, close the action. Then, as they would with a pumper, they cycle the action only to find that no round exits the mag.

This is *normal*. In some videos, the user then gets a bit "heavy" with their gun and it *does* feed. This, I think, is merely a result of the next round "jumping" the carrier/shell-stop. In normal use, of course, there's no problem because as you fire the gun, the next round is released just as you'd expect.

Now, I'll address the subject of capacity. Unlike my M37, which will hold and shoot between 6+1 to 10+1 rounds, depending upon cartridge length, the Chiappa is not happy with shorter hulls. So far, I've not found anything that will persuade it to operate correctly with more than 6+1 and, with long buckshot cartridges, it reduces to a 5+1.

That stated capacity of "6+1" is a bit of a misnomer. The gun will take five rounds into the mag and then you can leave an extra one "under" the bolt. When the action is closed, about a quarter of that "ghost-loaded" round is pushed into the mag with the remaining three-quarters remaining under the bolt. Of course, the final round goes in the chamber. Hence, really it's a "5.25+0.75+1" capacity gun.

The Chiappa doesn't have a normal tang or cross-bolt safety but just a "half cock" safety. Some ROs are not happy about the shooter lowering the hammer - which has a very small spur - onto a live round in the chamber in order to then pull the hammer back to half-cock. Hence, when the stage dictates an "Option 1" (fully loaded) start, I always use Option 2. (That is, "cruiser ready" - full mag, empty chamber.)

Loading the Chiappa ain't easy - the rounds are loaded from above and *not* in the manner of the Winchester 9410 and lever-action rifles, from the side. This makes "topping off" the mag a bit of a faff but, as I said, I already *knew* that this gun would be more of a challege to run than an ordinary pump.

On the plus side, load-one-shoot-one is easy because, with the action open, you can just slap a round onto the (raised) cartridge guides, close the lever and shoot. In addition, one can load *two* at a time. Which brings me onto those RCGs that I mentioned, above.

In standard form, if you want to load two rounds into an empty gun, you could just stuff them into the top of the action. The problem is that the top round isn't *quite* in the right place to be pushed *cleanly* in to the breech. (Holding the gun pointing slightly downwards seems to help, here.) However, if you have the 2-shot RCG, then this raises the front of the bottom cartridge making the top one line up with the breech.

At least, that's what I think is *supposed* to happen. In practice, it ain't that easy. But - and this is a *big* "but" - I haven't shot the gun much in 2-shot mode because, even when shooting clays, I've run with the 7-shot RCG in order to get used to loading the mag. I'm now *much* better at loading this gun than I used to be so I may very well play with the 2-shot RCG in the near future. Either way, loading the mag is nowhere *near* as fast as with a pump-action.

Changing over the RCGs from 2-shot to 7-shot, or vice versa, isn't quite as quick as Chiappa's advertising make out, although if I start to play with 2-shot more, I'll obviously get better at it. You have to take a screw out of each side of the receiver, remove the two cartridge guides, replace the RCG and then put it back together again. Not the few "seconds" that Chiappa claim. At least, not for *me*. As I say, I will no doubt get quicker as time goes by.

A month or so after I started using the gun, I took off the fore-ends in order to make sure that there was no water lurking anywhere. (I'd been using it during a rain shower.) I cleaned out what looked like a bit of swarf and then found that I could *not* get the fore-end back on again.

It was at this point that my RFD cancelled his order...

In the event it was some time before my cousin drove me to the importer and a "bodge" (filing a hole a little larger) was effected. I was *not* impressed that this was necessary. The importer said that Chiappa doesn't enourage people to take their guns apart but, if it gets wet, what are you *supposed* to do? (My M37 gets a total strip down after it gets wet.)

Yes, a "fix" *was* achieved but, at twice the price of the Norinco, this really should *not* be happening.

Another gripe is that there are some burrs around the muzzle. They are not *serious* and, indeed, I didn't notice them until the muzzle machetied its way out of my range bag when carrying it muzzle-down at Shield. Again, not a serious problem but one I could have done without.

Finally, I've had a problem with a *slight* bit of movement in the stock. You can *hear* it. You can *feel* it. Ya just can't *see* it move unless you look *very* closely. As before, not serious but not expected, either.

At this point, I should point out that people call me "Chaos" not because they thought that I needed a cool nickname but because I break things; more-or-less *any*thing. (Example: when I took up shooting, I took my late father's thirty-year-old M37 riot gun along. I managed to break a weld on the gun with the eighth shot...) I would hope that "normal" people would not have the problems that *I* have had with the Chiappa.

At a recent match, I was explaining the problems that I'd had to a club member. He listened and then asked me, "Do you regret buying it?". It took me only a second or two to reply, "No".

I've had more fun with this gun than I can say. Yeah, I come last in the matches. But I do it with real *style*...

Regards,

Mark.

Iv been looking at these for ages and came close to buying the norica one but didn't after reading the horror story's about them.

Yes, I've seen videos on YouTube showing such problems. All I can say is that the Chiappa hasn't given me any *real* trouble operationally.

I'm very tempted to get a Section.2 Norinco just for laughs but can't *quite* bring m'self to spend 600 squid on one.

I want one to shoot clays with

Ah, so I assume that you want a Section.2 gun. Note that mine is Section.1 and, thus, can have a barrel shorter than 24". In the Chiappa flyers, it states that they do a 24" barrel version. When *I* ordered mine, I thought that the choice was 22" or 28" only.

With hindsight, I may well have chosen a 7-shot 24" one so that, if I didn't want to retain the gun as S.1, I could just get the mag restricted and transfer it to my SGC. Having the 22" model, of course, precludes that.

I beleave if u Carnt have fun shooting why bother doing it.

That's my attitude as well. :)

Regards,

Mark.

General clay dusting

So, same question as above: would you be wanting an S.2 version? If so, above comments re barrel length apply.

I do like DTL even though its gets boring after a while

The only time I've had an "icy reception" was from DTL shooters when I was using a pump. 'Though I must admit that, not being allowed to load until it was my turn *did* break the balletic "rhythm" up a bit.

but more sporting than anything else :)

Same here.

I've just seen your sig, by the way.

Remington 870 ATI Talon Tactical Wingmaster

Really? Is it really a "tactifool" *Wingmaster*? I didn't know that they made such things. My WM hails from 1975 so some wouldn't consider it "tacticool" at *all*. But *I* like it *just* as it *is*...

Regards,

Mark.

Excellent write up.

Why, *thank* you, kind sir. :)

I've got a particular fondness for leveractions (have a Win 357) and this shotgun looks intresting.

I've been meaning to get some rifles on my FAC for a loooong time.

Having had and used the Chiappa for a while, I, too, have a hankering for a lever-action rifle or two.

I'd also be keen to have a go using a Winchester 9410 (or clone thereof).

Regards,

Mark.

Hi mark, I got sent the brochure yesterday all I know is that I'll be ordering the 28" in chrome finish , 2+1 capacity , I'm a member of 2 clubs and ones on an army base so what I shoot there doesn't raise any eyebrows and the other club I go on a Tuesday is very quiet I have the pick of 4 skeet and 4 DTL ranges all to myself ;)

As for my 870 I got that last month fixed choke really old and worn so I blinged it up by firstly spraying it with duracoat so the finish is in mint condition , then my mate came over from America and got me a few aftermarket parts for it from a company called ATI ;)

I've always liked unusual looking guns from the days of field target shooting an anodised blue ripely rifle wish I still had that :(

So the Chiappa 1887 is next :D

I'll be ordering the 28" in chrome finish , 2+1 capacity

Perhaps, for clay shootin', the 2-shot "Fast Load" would've been better. Either that, or get the extra Right Cartridge Guide as well. (They both came with the Cowboy Hunter version so I've no idea what they cost individually.)

I'm a member of 2 clubs and ones on an army base so what I shoot there doesn't raise any eyebrows

The clay club that I favour - Fareham Clay Target - are also quite laid-back about what I use there. So far, it's been the pumps, the lever-action, a bolt-action goose gun avec 36" barrel, a Martini action and SxS hammer gun.

The Sporting crowd, at least, really like to see something *different*. O'course, I can't shoot for toffee with *any* gun but I still enjoys m'self. :)

As for my 870 I got that last month fixed choke really old and worn so I blinged it up by firstly spraying it with duracoat so the finish is in mint condition , then my mate came over from America and got me a few aftermarket parts for it from a company called ATI

I still say, "yuck".

If I *ever* manages to get my ImageShack account working again, I'll post photos of a *real* Wingmaster. :)

Bye fer now.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I'm hoping to improve the review by posting some YouTube videos of me shooting the Chiappa. First, though, I have to buy a camcorder that I'm happy with and persuade club members to act as cameramen.

Perhaps, for clay shootin', the 2-shot "Fast Load" would've been better. Either that, or get the extra Right Cartridge Guide as well. (They both came with the Cowboy Hunter version so I've no idea what they cost individually.)

The clay club that I favour - Fareham Clay Target - are also quite laid-back about what I use there. So far, it's been the pumps, the lever-action, a bolt-action goose gun avec 36" barrel, a Martini action and SxS hammer gun.

The Sporting crowd, at least, really like to see something *different*. O'course, I can't shoot for toffee with *any* gun but I still enjoys m'self. :)

I still say, "yuck".

If I *ever* manages to get my ImageShack account working again, I'll post photos of a *real* Wingmaster. :)

Bye fer now.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I'm hoping to improve the review by posting some YouTube videos of me shooting the Chiappa. First, though, I have to buy a camcorder that I'm happy with and persuade club members to act as cameramen.

thanks for the tip about the fast load system I'll ask the company tomorrow when they ring me up to confirm the order , it's the 28" brushed silver version with multi choke 2+1 that I've ordered :)

By the way, don't you PSG shooters use all these pistol grip style pump actions and semis for shooting???

Edited by Willpoon

I just googled them to see what they look like.

My goodness! That stock really is made of wood from the ugly tree isn't it. :huh:

I'm sorry, that was rather rude of me. :o

I should have said I was a bit startled by the shape of the stock. Not quite the lever action appearance I was expecting.

thanks for the tip about the fast load system I'll ask the company tomorrow when they ring me up to confirm the order , it's the 28" brushed silver version with multi choke 2+1 that I've ordered :)

I went for a little clay scaring today and took the Chiappa. This time, I had the 2-shot RCG installed. I can't say that it went terribly well - I fumbled the loading no matter *what* I did. (Now, if they'd just let me *fully* load the gun, I'd be a bit quicker...)

Also, I forgot to say that there's a video showing how to change the RCG over on their web site. Follow the video link on the short, blued gun's page. (I ain't as fast as that chap is in the film by a *looong* way.)

By the way, don't you PSG shooters use all these pistol grip style pump actions and semis for shooting???

PG stocks? Some do, but my gun's are either oldish (the 1982 M37 DSPS) or repro oldish (the Chiappa). Anyway, I likes pertty guns, not this black, tactifool junk. :)

As for semi-autos, yes, some people use 'em but, I dunno, I just feel a bit "not in control" when using a semi. Having said that, I don't have much experience of 'em.

Many of the fastest PSGers use pumps - often, *Benelli* pumps.

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

I should have said I was a bit startled by the shape of the stock. Not quite the lever action appearance I was expecting.

Ah, I expects that you were expecting sommat that looked like the lever-action *rifles*. If that's the case, then you want to Google the "Winchester 9410". As far as I'm aware, they operate like the rifles whereas the Winchester 1887 is totally different.

The '9410, by the way are .410 shotguns.

Regards,

Mark.

• 2 months later...

Anyone interested in pumps (and lever action) shotguns should take a look at this thread - I've also posted some (admittedly poor) photos of mine:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/236687-pump-club/page__st__180#entry2067304

I've bought a Philips CAM295 camcorder and hope to make some pump/lever-related videos soon(ish). (The camera's turned up but not the Class 10 memory card...)

Willpoon: any news to report re the 1887?

Regards,

Mark.

Hi mark , ha what a joke that bloke was that I placed an order for the 1887 , back in early January never heard from the bloke after placing the order , luckily I didn't part with any money.his last words were I'll check on the price and I'll ring you tomorrow .... Nothing ..

I'm one of these people that don't like chasing things up especially if I'm giving someone business , rant over now :lol:

I'm looking at a beretta ultralight I've just had a go of a members one , its for my wife. I haven't given up hope yet for the 1887 I'll probably have ago one day and want one :good: