Webley Scott 410 bolt action, any owners?

hedd-wyn

I couldn't help notice that there are a lot of these guns for sale and that they can be bought for as little as 40 quid!

I realise that they are going to be pretty tatty at this price but quite fancy buying one and spending some time working and restoring it.

There's a photo at home of the old man shooting one when he was a kid so obtaining one would be sentimental as well as practical.

I realise that these are very popular so would be very interested to know what they would be like for some pest control.

Thanks in advance.

HEDD

I love mine. They don't take 3" cartridges, so you can be a little limited there.

But, on the plus side ...

The gun is very light. Not at all tiring to carry around for hours on end

Cartridges are small and light. 50 cartridges comfortably go into my jacket pocket.

Effective. I use mine for magpies, rabbits, dispatching foxes in cage traps, rats, the occasional crow or jackdaw. It'll knock down rabbits at 30 yards, easily

Cheap. I'm not bothered if I bash the barrel on the bars of my fox trap, as I'm pushing it through. I'd probably be in tears if I damaged my Bettinsoli, as would SWMBO if she scratched her Beretta.

The other really nice thing is that it forces you to pick your shots a bit more, think they are all full choke, and with 14g of No. 6 shot, you've got to be a bit choosy.

That probably explains why I miss so rarely with it.

Depending on where you are in North Wales, if we can arrange, then you'd be welcome to have a go with mine sometime

Edited by robbiep

Thanks for the detailed review Robbie, much appreciated. It will be used on rabbits more than anything and possibly the odd crow nearer to the barns.

There are a few cottages near where the rabbits are, although the owners know I shoot there, I wouldnt feel comfertable using the 12g somehow.

Im sure the old man will glow up when he sees it.

ive still got mine after 45 years, its not the deluxe model just plain without the chequering....had the barrell polished and re-blued...gunsmiths love doing them because the quality of the metal is so good and it takes the blueing so well....always use eley furlong 5 or 6

fantastic little gun

when i bought mine it was 13 pounds 16s and 9d that was including purchase tax, saved up for it apple picking one autumn

will never get rid of it !!!!

Lovely wee guns - Because they're so simple, even a tatty-looking example can be done up very easily with a bit of TLC. Wish I hadn't sold mine :no:

I shot a 'going away' teal the other week with a folding Breda 2.5" .410... I was as surprised to see it break as the others present :lol:

Get one for £40, strip the woodwork, maybe even treat it to a reblue and you'll have a great looking wee gun.

What a coincidence. I just acquired one of these for £40. My farming friend recently cleared out his late father-in-law's gun cabinet and knew I was interested in something for my Grandson. It has been checked by a local gunsmith (who would buy every one that came his way). The stock was covered in old varnish but now is stripped and I am about to start the CCL three part stock oil kit refurbishment process which will take about 14-16 days. Really looking forward to having a go with it. Incidentally, found a website www.fourten.org.uk where it states that the gun will put 77 No 6 shot in a 30 inch circle at 40 yards!! Bob.

It aways worth ringing or emailing gun dealers that have online stores just incase they have something stored in the back.

Most RFDs probably don't see the point in advertising a £40 gun online so worth doing the research.

I know wich gun you are talking about, but if its the same one then it's at the Shetlands.

my first gun, Oh to be eleven again with a pocket full of Eley Fourlong on my uncles farm.

Mine too, great memories of cycling to my grandmothers farm from school and knocking over a few rabbits with it. Keep the range short and it was a useful little gun.

Been hankering over getting another recently purely for nostalgic reasons, but would I ever use it? Probably not. Think I would prefer an air rifle for sitting rabbits these days.

Love these guns to and plan to get one in the near future.

I may be mistaken but I thought some were chambered to take 3 inch cartridges, also a 3 shot version is available think it was called "The Sportsman "

I do know the Norica bolt action magazine ones are 3". But I thought all of the Webley bolt actions were 2 1/2 - unless there are some modified ones out there

I'll revise and apologise, as I was wrong.

The 'sportsman' with the magazine did come with a 3" chamber, howver all of the single loaders were 2.5" chambered

Mine too, great memories of cycling to my grandmothers farm from school and knocking over a few rabbits with it. Keep the range short and it was a useful little gun.

Been hankering over getting another recently purely for nostalgic reasons, but would I ever use it? Probably not. Think I would prefer an air rifle for sitting rabbits these days.

You lucky **** mine was a BSA bolt action still have it good gun. Still like the Webley tho