Pump Club

thepasty

23 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Yes get a SXP. Then if you decide to upgrade your o/u in future if you get a Browning 525 or Winchester you can swap and change chokes (invector plus) between them. SXP is also on my to get list.

On 07/12/2017 at 11:49, Wingman said:

Your in the wrong place if your expecting us to persuade you not to buy a pump action, of course you NEED a pump and the SXP is a great gun, get it bought.  Personally though I wouldn't recommend a pump as your only gun if your planning to shoot clays or game as some grounds and shoots wont like them but you have the mighty Baikal to resolve that issue.  Frankly I haven't found anything that I cant use my pump action for, that is perhaps apart from hitting clays at last months PW pump club shoot - I was utterly rubbish but was me not the gun.  I love the SXP and its on my gun bucket list but at the moment a new Supernova beckons.   

Its black, makes that sound we all love when racking the action and shoots well, what's not to like!

Hope my impartial advice has been of great service to you!

On 07/12/2017 at 12:54, Scrumbag said:

Well, a 3.5” pump will be able to do anything and if you get a plastic coated one, highly impervious to the elements.

Wingman makes some good points. I would say if your Baikal doesn’t fit you, it won’t be doing you any favours…

Scrummy

23 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Yes get a SXP. Then if you decide to upgrade your o/u in future if you get a Browning 525 or Winchester you can swap and change chokes (invector plus) between them. SXP is also on my to get list.

Thanks for your help folks, you've all echoed more or less what that little voice in my head was saying (not the one that chips in once in a while with "but you don't need it. You should buy a OU instead. Spend the money on stalking")

Next question is 3 inch or 3.5 chamber and 26 or 28 inch barrels?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

Thanks for your help folks, you've all echoed more or less what that little voice in my head was saying (not the one that chips in once in a while with "but you don't need it. You should buy a OU instead. Spend the money on stalking")

Next question is 3 inch or 3.5 chamber and 26 or 28 inch barrels?

If you intend going wild fowling then 3.5", anything else you'll be fine with 3". Barrel length will be up to you and what ever you preference. I manage ok with shorter barrel (24").Remember a pump will be longer than an o/u for same barrel length. My 24" supernova and Hatsan are as long or longer than 28" Browning 525.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2017 at 11:40, SimpleSimon said:

OK pump people, talk me into (or out of) buying a Winchester SXP.

My current and only shotgun is an old Baikal OU which does the job, although it doesn't fit me very well and doesn't especially "feel" great to shoot. I've had it a couple of years for clays, the odd pigeon and this season I've used it for a rough/mini driven walk and stand type syndicate that I joined.

I like something a bit different and for some reason I fancy the SXP. Should I buy one for the entertainment value or should I get a "better" OU?

Head says OU, heart says I'll have fun with a pump.

Hello, I have a Winchester sxp with a 24” barrel in the “field” colour/model, and I can hands down say it’s the best gun I own, simply because I use it for everything if I want/need too, iv even taken it to shoot clays and had nothing but I trest in the gun, not to mention the owner of the club telling me I need to bring it more often as he loves to see something different from the usual o/u, but back to the gun, it is very easy to pump the action, as the recoil from the cart is used to unlock the action so all the hard work is done for you, just pull back a touch and push it forward, I use hull superfast 27g carts and iv never had one jam      ( probably put 10,000 through the gun)  iv (regrettably) dropped the gun in puddles and sand and still been able to carry on shooting with it (done the same thing with a baretta a400 excel and had to strip it and clean it as it wouldn’t cycle), I really couldn’t ask for a better pump action, it’s simply awesome  

• 2 weeks later...

A question for the Benelli guys?

This morning when on the marsh, when cycled the action on my super nova, the next cartridge was coming onto the carrier, but as i put the slide forward, the carrier wasn't lifting and then the bolt jammed with a cartridge underneath it. 

When i got it all sorted, i tried again, making sure i pumped it fully, but same problem again. Guessing theres maybe a spring broken on the carrier?

After missing out on a couple of Ithaca DS Police Specials over the last few years I've managed to find one. Its not in the best condition and I've paid too much for it but it's mine :)

Photos to follow when it arrives.

It will be good company for my Super Nova and 870.

Edited by Sco77w

Nothing exciting unfortunately, picked up a new SXP with 28 inch barrels over the weekend. Glad to be part of Pump club now though! I Gave it a good clean to get all the rust protective gunk off.

Then over to my father in laws to make sure it all worked fine. Him shooting below. My Miroku extended Teague Chokes fit to so that’s a bonus ?

1_A665372_3078_44_F5_A49_F_850969_F2_EB1
free photo uploading site

04580_E9_A_3_CA7_4_F2_D_9_C6_A_B783_F537

Edited by Matty89

hello,  having an older semi auto ( AL48) that i do not use much, more of a challenge to shoot, i am thinking of doing the same and getting a pump action shotgun (3 shot), what is recommended for a complete beginner that is light weight/ reliable/easy to strip and clean/ 28inch barrels or less with a raised rib/ open choke/ 14.5 inch lop/low recoil. could i get something for £150/swop the AL48/ or a victor sarasqueta 6EC.  i notice many recommend the SXP is there an older version with the above specs.  cheers  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,  having an older semi auto ( AL48) that i do not use much, more of a challenge to shoot, i am thinking of doing the same and getting a pump action shotgun (3 shot), what is recommended for a complete beginner that is light weight/ reliable/easy to strip and clean/ 28inch or less/ open choke/ 14.5 inch lop/low recoil. could i get something for £150/swop the AL48/ or a victor sarasqueta 6EC.  i notice many recommend the SXP is there an older version with the above specs.  cheers  

Contact Wabbitbosher.

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,  having an older semi auto ( AL48) that i do not use much, more of a challenge to shoot, i am thinking of doing the same and getting a pump action shotgun (3 shot), what is recommended for a complete beginner that is light weight/ reliable/easy to strip and clean/ 28inch or less/ open choke/ 14.5 inch lop/low recoil. could i get something for £150/swop the AL48/ or a victor sarasqueta 6EC.  i notice many recommend the SXP is there an older version with the above specs.  cheers  

Don't know about the stripping bit but there's a mossberg 500 on guntrader for £195. Open choke, 6lb 8 oz, cylinder choke. 24" barrel in Kent. Seems good value to me. I'd be tempted if I didn't have a big list of things to buy already.

Edited by arm3000gt

2 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Don't know about the stripping bit but there's a mossberg 500 on guntrader for £195. Open choke, 6lb 8 oz, cylinder choke. 24" barrel in Kent. Seems good value to me. I'd be tempted if I didn't have a big list of things to buy already.

hello, thankyou to say on the mossberg, i would like one with a raised rib and just put post, cheers

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,  having an older semi auto ( AL48) that i do not use much, more of a challenge to shoot, i am thinking of doing the same and getting a pump action shotgun (3 shot), what is recommended for a complete beginner that is light weight/ reliable/easy to strip and clean/ 28inch barrels or less with a raised rib/ open choke/ 14.5 inch lop/low recoil. could i get something for £150/swop the AL48/ or a victor sarasqueta 6EC.  i notice many recommend the SXP is there an older version with the above specs.  cheers  

On the 11th Jan Holts are holding their sealed bid auction (holtsauctioneers.com) On page 1 of the 'single barrel' shotguns page there is a nice Winchester 1200, on page 2, a nice Remington 870, either could be secured with a decent bid (in my view the guide prices are a bit low) Either of these guns would serve your purposes (both are VR models) as both are quality, earlier products. worth a punt I would say!

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:15, Scrumbag said:

Merry Christmas but you do not need another pump!

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:47, Jay1234 said:

You always need another pump ?

Just been catching up after the hols, answers 1, always, 2, always!:yahoo:

9 hours ago, impala59 said:

On the 11th Jan Holts are holding their sealed bid auction (holtsauctioneers.com) On page 1 of the 'single barrel' shotguns page there is a nice Winchester 1200, on page 2, a nice Remington 870, either could be secured with a decent bid (in my view the guide prices are a bit low) Either of these guns would serve your purposes (both are VR models) as both are quality, earlier products. worth a punt I would say!

Just been catching up after the hols, answers 1, always, 2, always!:yahoo:

hello, thanks for that info, i think i will look out for a mossberg 500 with raised rib, cheers

I've currently got a Browning 725 sporter 2 but recently decided I really want to add to the collection and get a Mossberg 590. Ive always been a fan of the tactical look so it will obviously be decked out with rails and a torch,m4 stock etc and just be used on the areas we have permission to shoot on. Some will no doubt think how sad but it's what I like lol.

Anybody got or had experience of one?

20 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Difficult to go wrong with a Mossy and loads of add-ons available on and off the net. Just search for a good price and try to get goodies thrown in on the deal. Or, buy a dirt cheap 500 or 600 model and trick it yourself

Thanks for the reply Impala so there isn't a massive difference between the 500 and 590? So parts that fit the 500 will fit the 590? Seen some awesome rails etc in the US but I bet because of bloody ITAR they won't ship to the uk.

14 minutes ago, Benkent said:

Thanks for the reply Impala so there isn't a massive difference between the 500 and 590? So parts that fit the 500 will fit the 590? Seen some awesome rails etc in the US but I bet because of bloody ITAR they won't ship to the uk.

Ebay is your best mate here, go on the English site and you’ll have no problems 

They mainly do stocks and shell holders on there which is good. I see an awesome rail system from vortex defence but doubt they will ship that to here. I understand ITAR not wanting weapons etc in but if you hold a certificate I don't see the big deal in ordering a bloody rail system but guess the laws the law.

2 hours ago, Benkent said:

They mainly do stocks and shell holders on there which is good. I see an awesome rail system from vortex defence but doubt they will ship that to here. I understand ITAR not wanting weapons etc in but if you hold a certificate I don't see the big deal in ordering a bloody rail system but guess the laws the law.

Have a look at this? https://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H1.Xmossberg.TRS0&_nkw=mossberg+rail+