Pump Club

thepasty

I enjoyed this topic and was surprised to see as many pump guns some I was very familiar with others not so much but I didn't see any pump rifles would it be out of line to post some I have 3 pump rifles a Savage 170 in 30-30 witch is my most recent bought used about five years ago next is a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen and last is my late brothers Remington 14 in 35 Rem

Pump rifles (other than .22 rimfire) are illegal here, sadly. Banned in 1989 along with self loading rifles.

Used a Remington 7600 .223 in New Zealand about 5 years ago...not bad but trigger far from ideal.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been thinking about a synthetic stock and fore-end for the 37 as do not want to destroy the wood wacking barricades et al during PSG.........long shot is there anything out there?

My M37 stock is cracked (*what* a surprise) and I've been using a Choate stock and forend for a year or so. Stock's OK but feeding the spanner down to take it off and replace it is a pain as they didn't have the sense to create a feed tube - the spanner wanders off into all *sorts* of funny places inside the stock... (Tip: once the spanner is on the stock nut, *don't* take it off until the stock is refitted.) The forend didn't fit at *all* until the end was ground off. Also, it's slippery.

I made a hole in the stock so's I can take it off and replace it without removing the butt pad. On the whole, I much prefer the original wood.

I wouldn't buy a Choate again.

Regards,

Mark.

Purchased a mossberg 535 ATS during the shooting show and I have to say...it is great! Action is very smooth! Chambers anything up to 3.5, feels very light and snappy in my hands and to top it all off the standard stock absorbs recoil excellently, so much so, that I didn't want to use my silver pigeon at all this weekend on clays.

Here is one of my pump rifles it's in the 30-30 chambering its barrel is 18 in making it a carbine it's a uncommon one Savage model 170 I have a Simmons 1.5 X 5 its a joy to carry a field I have yet to have in hand when a deer is around one day it will a work out

post-77065-0-76032600-1456183115_thumb.jpg

post-77065-0-38167000-1456183157_thumb.jpg

post-77065-0-47111800-1456183212_thumb.jpg

Although we aren't allowed to own / use pump or auto rifles bigger than 22rf it is interesting to view them. The pictures are ok but they have come across on the small side and don't appear to be able to make them bigger so we don't see much detail. i had a 22rf remington something. It was used for rabbit shooting from quad or vehicle. It was OK but I gave it away in the end to exchange the slot for another 22 c/f and used another 22 bolt with a high capacity mag to shoot the rabbits with.

Clays with pumps is just so much fun, its challenging and rewarding. I make a point of always asking whether I can use one when I visit a club (as a courtesy) some answers are unprintable. Promote the pump gun!

Indeed it is! Especially when your hitting clays simultaneously. Then place I shoot at allows any shotgun really, really nice family place.

OK so the Savage Model 30E is complete and functioning. Some good news and some not so good. The parts in the main are identical to the original with some notable exceptions. The bolt is different but fits perfectly, the slide is different and so is the slide stop, no great problems there as the differences are not an issue as long as the slide and slide stop are fitted as a pair. When taking the gun down I found a previously un-noticed crack in the stock where it mates with the receiver, an area also soaked in old gun oil over the years. Luckily the parts included a stock and fore-end (not so pretty but crack and oil free) The stock fitted perfectly but the fore-end binds hard on the mag tube and needs some serious easing. The replacement trigger group and its associated springs etc. is in much better condition than the original and so will be stripped to component level and refinished. The stock will be slowly and gently heated and de-oiled, the crack repaired and then stripped and refinished with tru-oil. The original fore-end will stay on the gun until I work out the binding issue, then that too will be stripped and refinished. The vent rib has a bit of a ding in it and I may get that sorted professionally when I look at what metal finish to go for. So there we are for the moment, a bit of a hybrid gun that I will try on some clays as soon as I can get some me time

post-75958-0-96300800-1456441471_thumb.jpg

Well finally shot my Ithaca.

Most certainly does not like cheap carts.

Stoves pipes every time with Eley first and Imperial.

However it loves Hull pro fibre. So must be an issue with the base of the hull expanding.

Gonna be an expensive beast to feed.

Chances are its not cheap carts so much as brass length.

Try Eley Olympic Blues and see how you go.

As mentioned early in the thread, I think it's the metal base swelling upon firing that jams it in the barrel.

Eley first which have a very small brass were the worst by far.

The imperial have a slightly longer brass (only a couple of mm) and they were marginally better.

Pro fibre have a longer brass and performed brilliantly. Even with a bit of slam firing.

But been so light they do kick like hell.

Good Afternoon gentlemen, I may have found the holy grail! A budget cartridge, Fibre wad, 24g soft shooting, hard hitting on steel plates, good pattern for clays and most importantly for me, does not stick or jam in my Ithaca Model 37! After a morning of success at practical shotgun, I called in for a swift 25 clays on the way home. No jams, no failure to extract, mis-feed or anything exept reliability. One young lady was using them in her auto with, again ,complete reliability. Italian made, Bornaghi Sport, 24g, 70mm, 7 1/2, 12mm head seem to do everything that I want and need, just have to try them on the pigeons and I may have my all round cartridge. They also look pretty good for reloading, what more could I want?

post-75958-0-83117000-1456681678_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

Good evening all,

Please could I submit an application to join pump club? I nipped in Kirklees Guns on Saturday for some CO2, pellets and some other bits for the boy to plink with in the garden and came out with this too. SXP 26 inch barrel, 2+1 and is almost as new. Just need to come up with an idea of how to break the news to the wife... whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.C4o9Gkz38P.giinnocent.gif.pagespeed.ce.jHehbIqlY8.gif

post-71964-0-99849900-1457293070_thumb.jpg

Evening

I would also like to tender my application to join the club. It is a Hatsan (awaits incoming) Field Hunter, 24". I bought it to try out practical shotgun and have only put about 60 cartridges through it so far. Hoping to go for my first round of clays with it on Friday.

WP_20160221_002%202_zpsphivhmx5.jpg

Edited by arm3000gt

I've got a Beretta 686 Onyx too but last time I took it out we both got soaked and I spent 3 hours stripping, drying, cleaning and oiling it. I do love the Beretta but perhaps I'm a bit over precious with it. Anyhow the new acquisition solves that problem, if it's tipping down outside I can take the pump and not worry too much. I've always fancied a pump and at the asking price there was no way I was leaving it on the rack, can't wait to shoot it now. And won't cry if I ever drop it :good: