Pump Club

thepasty

Hello guys I am looking st buying a cheap fun pump for a bit of rough shooting and maybe some fun skeet days at my local club. I have a o/u for normal shooting and I have used a Winchester sxp pump which is nice, however I want something a bit different.

I've been looking at the revo tactical pump it's multi choke with 24 inch barrel and a pistol grip which looks cool it had a full stock and I can get one for 206 quid which is nothing really. My thoughts are would it be ok to shoot skeet with it and rabbits etc? I know people slate them and I won't fit into the normal shooter type but I like to be different and this will purely be a fun gun

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took my Hatsan Field Hunter out again today. I got hold of some Maxam Imperial Trap as I was getting a few fail to extract with Hull Superfast cartridges. The Maxam have 12mm head and this seems to have done the trick. Worked through 150 cartridges and only 1 fail to extract though I think this could have been operator error and short shucked it pushing the empty back into the chamber. Other than that the higher 'brass' seems to have cured things. I also had a go on a Supernova which was nice to use and certainly easier on reloading.

In addition if anyone has problems with their choke working loose. I tried 3 layers of PTFE tape and it worked a treat. I checked every 10-20 shots and not once did it require re-tightening.

Edited by arm3000gt

Bin Tinkerin' :)

​While I've been getting my hand back in PSG, and saddled with 3 shots at the moment, I've been experimenting with sighting and loading while I await the return of my section 1 ticket. I may have gone a little OTT with my BPS as it currently sports a fibre optic tunnel sight, a multi reticule, parallax free red/green dot sight mounted on a B-Square 11" piccatinny rail and a 5mw daylight green laser underslung. My reasoning is that while practising I can evaluate the pros and cons of each before joining the "open class" The fibre optic is visible through the p. rail. I suffer from left eye dominance and being right handed have often lost sight picture in rapid shooting. Some tips on the clay pigeon threads have helped immensely and I'm happy with my progress, you're never too old to learn! My wife bought me a Chameleon load2 rig and I look forward to trying that this weekend

post-75958-0-70978200-1458770323_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-76727100-1458770325_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-68124700-1458770326_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-56383700-1458770327_thumb.jpg

Hi, this is an interesting subject (the use of sights on shotguns for moving targets) I've been thinking about one for my Mossy 500 moderated 20 gauge.And of course there are the inevitable questions that one needs answering before parting with my hard earned cash or finding that I'm still missing birds and wasting shells. S; do these parrallax red/green dots need "sighting in" as with a rifle and what happens if the target is then closer or further away than the sights were set at? What does one do for "lead" and are the sights (which can be very cheap) robust enough? I really love the lack of noise with the moderated, but still struggle to get past the big lump at the end of the barrel, so keep toying with something a bit "American" and "tactical" looking, (which I don't mind, if it works). Any advice and tips would be great to hear.

I set the sight initially by having the gun in a rest, looking down the sight plane and also with a laser bore sighter (dummy cartridge type) The BPS for me, shoots about 60/40 ( 60 percent of shot above the bead) I centred the dot roughly where the centre of pattern should be, at roughly the range I expect to be shooting at. I will need time on the pattern plate to confirm. My main concern is the shock resistance (or not) of these fairly low cost items. Not sure how the sight would fare against live quarry or clays but will eventually give it a go. The best advice on these sights will probably come from top open class competitors in practical shotgun as they use them on their saiga and bora guns.

Edited by impala59

Afternoon Gents,

Been out of circulation for a few weeks, see there's some very interesting findings on 'brass' that ejects satisfactorily from M37's and similar, when I'm in the Midlands next week will try to track some down. Any ideas in Warwickshire or Northamptonshire other than phoning round all the RFD's?

Very nice looking Remington Model 10 recently, I missed one about Xmas, still in shop but had been paid for. Grrrr! 3 weeks ago bought a Cherokee Orvis in London. Mint condition, the silky smooth 4litre straight 6 is worth the 17-19mpg running locally! Took the '37 to local clay shoot recently, created some interest as most had never seen one before, especially as throwing the empties straight down. Did'nt win but not last either! Enjoyable afternoon which is what it's all about.

Sunshine here............ better go cut the grass, will get some lambs next year, then at least I can eat the mover!

Regards

Steve

I've seen a video of another sight for shotgun, called the Red Ring (sounds like a morning after a bad chilli) that is so good that it has been banned from clay competitions. The film of the guys using it on just about any style shotgun, was impressive and I was tempted as with my increasing age and eyesight getting worst, I thought this could give me back a bit of an edge on the pesky corvids and pigeons. BUT...then I saw the price! Jeebus!!! it was more than my Mossy cost me. Six or seven hundred quid if I remember correctly.I am getting better with the gun, but have long weeks "in the desert" with no shooting then a couple hours to try and remember what I did right or wrong the last time. My worst fault is lifting my head off the butt when in a hide and as a tuition guy told me once "concentrating on the gun sight, rather than the target", which sort of answers my own question about sights. Any Bruce Lee fans out there? If you remember the first few lines of dialogue in Enter The Dragon................" it's like a finger pointing to the moon, concentrate on the finger and you miss all that heavenly glory". Great words of wisdom from a movie hero. So I guess it's keeping the eye on the birdie and cheek in contact with the comb.

" it's like a finger pointing to the moon, concentrate on the finger and you miss all that heavenly glory"

Sums it up really, The bead sight is parallax free and all the rest is trying to beat natural weaknesses, lack of skill/practice/experience with technology............but I'll keep trying..............do love a gadget :)

Well sat down with the Ithaca this eve and had a good look, strip down and clean.

The chamber portion of the barrel does have a lot of tooling marks from when it was made. So given it a good polish, will see if it's less cartridge fussy next time out.

Also read on an American forum that having the barrel retaining nut done up too tight can sometimes cause stove piping.

God knows how that can affect cycling but it's worth a try backing it off one click from fully nipped up.

Edited by a303

Hi, one more for pump club.

got this (stevens model 77F) a couple of weeks ago went to strip it down only to find the two screws are knackered anyone know where i can get replacements if i can get them out, no point sending to a gunsmith to get fixed as only got me 125 quid.

stevens_77f.jpg

stevens_model_77f.jpg

stevens_mag_screw.jpg

stevens_trigger_screw.jpg

I may be able to help as I bought some parts for a project. If your gun is a 3 shot, the magazine screw may have been intentionally mullered to prevent disassembly. The trigger group screw will not undo until you release sideways tension on it by removing the stock. I will check what screws I have later this evening, but through poor maintenance many get knackered and I have undoubtedly used the best that I have! Hold the slide release in place when you remove the trigger assembly, it loves to fall off. Good luck great little guns.

Edit..........I have both screws, the mag screw is ramped for tightening only and the trigger group screw head and slot is not much better than yours, was thinking of re=profiling for a thicker turn=screw head

Edited by impala59

Update on the Optics try-out on the BPS. The laser is good and bright for picking up static targets and virtually non-aimed shots, but failed due to "battery and laser module shift" induced by recoil/shock. I have addressed this issue by inserting a sponge liner which will keep everything in line. The aim-point device surprised me with its ease of use and accuracy, a raised comb would make it 100% in my view and its what I will be looking at to put on my section 1 gun. The only downside is again recoil shock, I have had to modify the battery connections to make it a more solid fit. Having said that, both were less than £20 on ebay/amazon and I guess you get what you pay for, they are probably more suited to airsoft/air rifle/smallbore rifle but nonetheless with my simple mods they work fine on a 12 gauge. The fibre optic frontsight lights up brilliantly and is certainly the simplest hi-vis solution and no battery or electronics to go wrong. Interestingly its about the same price as the electronic optics

Edited by impala59

I may be able to help as I bought some parts for a project. If your gun is a 3 shot, the magazine screw may have been intentionally mullered to prevent disassembly. The trigger group screw will not undo until you release sideways tension on it by removing the stock. I will check what screws I have later this evening, but through poor maintenance many get knackered and I have undoubtedly used the best that I have! Hold the slide release in place when you remove the trigger assembly, it loves to fall off. Good luck great little guns.

Edit..........I have both screws, the mag screw is ramped for tightening only and the trigger group screw head and slot is not much better than yours, was thinking of re=profiling for a thicker turn=screw head

thanks for looking, was at the clay ground this morning and they said the same that's it's probably been done like that to stop anyone taking it apart.

Well sat down with the Ithaca this eve and had a good look, strip down and clean.

The chamber portion of the barrel does have a lot of tooling marks from when it was made. So given it a good polish, will see if it's less cartridge fussy next time out.

Also read on an American forum that having the barrel retaining nut done up too tight can sometimes cause stove piping.

God knows how that can affect cycling but it's worth a try backing it off one click from fully nipped up.

Hello there, as you'll see on my earlier posts regarding poor extraction of fired cases on my Ithaca M37, polishing the chamber to a mirror finish, and 'tall brass' cartridges has solved the problem completely and cheaply. I recommend you give it a try!

Hello there, as you'll see on my earlier posts regarding poor extraction of fired cases on my Ithaca M37, polishing the chamber to a mirror finish, and 'tall brass' cartridges has solved the problem completely and cheaply. I recommend you give it a try!

+ 1