Pump Club

thepasty

It sounds like your FEO has a very sensible way of looking at it - what they say seems like the most logical way to look at the legislation! It gives me more confidence to look into getting a stock like yours! If you don't mind it would be good to see the email conversation (PM me if you want). I think like you've done it would be good for me to drop my FEO an email so at least like you I have something on record - which I guess is the most important thing. Once again thanks for taking the effort to look into this :)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening Gents,

Been away a while (trying to stop brother from re-marrying ex-wife!!) however purchased another Browning Auto 5, circa 1925, and seriously contemplating a Mossberg 600AT to accompany my M37 in the 'box'.

I had a 500 way back in the '70's which functioned flawlessly, but sold it to a mate, but your informed advice/observations/warnings would be welcome. It's Sec2,

Regards

Steve

Evening Gents,

Been away a while (trying to stop brother from re-marrying ex-wife!!) however purchased another Browning Auto 5, circa 1925, and seriously contemplating a Mossberg 600AT to accompany my M37 in the 'box'.

I had a 500 way back in the '70's which functioned flawlessly, but sold it to a mate, but your informed advice/observations/warnings would be welcome. It's Sec2,

Regards

Steve

A5......nice!

Got an M37 too....

Well...one less pump in the his-ouse.....

Posted my S1 Remington 870 today.

Long story...only took about 3 hours, 4 phone calls, 1 complete re-packaging & 2 nice police occifers to get the package accepted at the Post Office!

Not sure what S1 to replace the 870 with.

Might get my S2 870 20-bore opened up....might get my S1 A5 out of RFD storage. Will sleep on it, no rush.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone needed to order a new Remington shotgun in the last few months??. Reason I ask is that I'm thinking of getting a Remington 870 Express in L/H. just wondered what the lead times are at the moment.

Thanks Phil

My FTE woes returned again with vengeance on the Sunday. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why it does it. Fired about 50 shots without an issue. Bagged gun up moved to next area, then every other shot failed to extract. At that point I gave up with it for the day and borrowed a Super Nova. :unhappy: 1 in a 100 I could live with, complete random I can't. I'm going to contact where I purchased it see if they can do anything.

Likewise I had a FTE last week in the 37 after a period of running perfectly. From the same batch of ammunition and a clean, polished chamber. The gun was hot. What was interesting was that as I was endeavouring to remove the barrel I noticed that the lock nut was not 100% tight. I tightened and the fired case was extracted perfectly. Upon examination of the case, there was no distortion of the metal head (12mm) no apparent 'flow' into the extractor cut-outs and when I replaced the empty case into the chamber it was an easy slip in and out with zero 'grab' of the chamber walls. Now, maybe importantly, the gun was cold by this time as was the cartridge case but I expected a tight fit at least, but it was perfect. I am wondering now if the barrel being very slightly loose creates a headspace issue, especially as in the 37 the bolt locks into the roof of the receiver and not into a barrel extension as some other shotguns do. I would be grateful for opinions

The gun was hot.

Thing is, because of the way that a '37 retains its barrel, it *slackens* as the barrel heats up and expands.

When shootin' PSG, I always tightened the nut before starting a stage and, afterwards, loosen it *before* the gun cools down.

(Right now, my S.1 M37 is out of action until I can fettle the slide stop after a buddy extended it for me.)

Regards,

Mark.

I'll be sticking with it for a while. I've passed my PSG safety course and I will be applying for my S1 soon. As they take 6 months or so to come through I will be competing with the Hatsan for some time to come I think. The goal will be not to come dead last :)

Maybe we are lucky in Cleveland. It was 5 weeks between my applications for a Shotgun licence and Firearms cert. complete with section 1 shotgun, and the arrival of said certs in the post. I have not done the PSG safety yet, but suppose it will be de-rigeur at some point.

Last weekend I got a Winchester Ranger model 120 (£150) for PSG and a Ruger 10/22 (£200 with illuminated sights, strap and slip) for the club 25 yrd range. I picked a pump as this way I can do real practice using snap caps ( I have 10 aluminium machined rounds with spring-loaded brass primer) and go through the whole motion of PSG shooting in the safety of my own garage.

RS

Edited by RockySpears

Maybe we are lucky in Cleveland. It was 5 weeks between my applications for a Shotgun licence and Firearms cert. complete with section 1 shotgun, and the arrival of said certs in the post. I have not done the PSG safety yet, but suppose it will be de-rigeur at some point.

Last weekend I got a Winchester Ranger model 120 (£150) for PSG and a Ruger 10/22 (£200 with illuminated sights, strap and slip) for the club 25 yrd range. I picked a pump as this way I can do real practice using snap caps ( I have 10 aluminium machined rounds with spring-loaded brass primer) and go through the whole motion of PSG shooting in the safety of my own garage.

RS

With a 5 week wait I think you are very lucky. The PSG safety course isn't hard I just saw it as an extra training/practice day. Try and get it done in the summer would be my advice. Rain and highs of 5 degrees doesn't make it that exciting, like when I did mine.

I made my own dummy rounds by filling some fired cartridges with sand and hot glue or just hot glue. Costs a few pounds to make 20 odd.

With a 5 week wait I think you are very lucky. The PSG safety course isn't hard I just saw it as an extra training/practice day. Try and get it done in the summer would be my advice. Rain and highs of 5 degrees doesn't make it that exciting, like when I did mine.

I made my own dummy rounds by filling some fired cartridges with sand and hot glue or just hot glue. Costs a few pounds to make 20 odd.

My reason for the machined aluminium was that the primer is spring loaded and so the firing pin is going through a more normal cycle. A used cartridge means the inertia is spent on the pin itself which, to my way of thinking means more stress and damage.

RS

Thing is, because of the way that a '37 retains its barrel, it *slackens* as the barrel heats up and expands.

When shootin' PSG, I always tightened the nut before starting a stage and, afterwards, loosen it *before* the gun cools down.

(Right now, my S.1 M37 is out of action until I can fettle the slide stop after a buddy extended it for me.)

Regards,

Mark.

I will try that as it seems to make some sense, although for the life of me I am not sure why!

Do you think that your slide stop issue is affecting headspace? I thought that headspace was achieved by the bolt locking uppermost, not the slide stop locking the slide, although I am sure the system works in tandem. I should be very interested in your results when you work the stop to fit. Have you got a measurement in mind for the slide to slide stop spacing? I wonder if the factory has such information

Regards

I will try that as it seems to make some sense, although for the life of me I am not sure why!

If the barrel expands, then it loosens and, by the way, if you tighten it up while the barrel is *hot*, you may find it a bit hard to undo when it cools down.

Do you think that your slide stop issue is affecting headspace?

I *think* that my slide stop was so worn that it was allowing the bolt to come out of battery if I pulled back on the forend.

This is, of course, all conjecture.

I should be very interested in your results when you work the stop to fit. Have you got a measurement in mind for the slide to slide stop spacing?

No. I measured my two DSPS guns which should have been identical and one had, I think, twice the slack of the other between the slide stop and bolt carrier when the action was locked. (Thirty thou versus sixty thou.)

I'm going to merely file the end of the slide stop down until the action locks and the operation "feels" right. I'm assuming, here, that too *little* slack isn't going to cause safety problems. I can't see why it should, though.

Regards,

Mark.

I'm hoping I've solved my FTE problem. Only fired about 50 today but it worked well. I stripped everything thing completely down on Friday evening, and went over every piece especially the bolt assembly. I used a file to smooth off rough edges and any make sure everything was free to move. There was a fair bit of interference between the bolt and the extractor which probably wasn't helping especially when everything got hot. I thought I'd given it a good look over before but must of missed it. I have to wait a few weeks until I can try again but fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Drank quite a bit too much home brew cider tonight and have ordered far too many bits online for my Mossberg! :ninja:

Can't wait till they get here as its gonna be pretty awesome when I fit everything on.

Don't want to sound like a big head, but I honestly believe that my mariner will be the best looking mossberg 590 in the country... If not, the most expensive :lol::good:

My mariner currently...

uovuQB.jpg

Will update in a few weeks when the snail mail arrives :w00t: :w00t:
this mossberg is about to be taken to another dimension :lol:

Anyways, back to the home brew! :whistling::yahoo:

Recently acquired a lovely bps 12g. Fixed full choke though so to stick some steel through it will mean either getting the choke opened out or finding another barrel.

Any pics? I have a new one (multichoke) but I believe the older ones had a better wood to metal fit, Mine has a noticeable step where the stock joins the receiver but its a great gun nonetheless

Recently acquired a lovely bps 12g. Fixed full choke though so to stick some steel through it will mean either getting the choke opened out or finding another barrel.

I too would like to see pic's. I think the originals are one of the most elegant looking pumps around.

Hello from a sunny (at the moment) Cornwall

Thanks to those of you who helped me previously, about 18 months ago, I foolishly sold my Winchester 1897 Back Diamond, got good money, but should I have known better. Now I'm after another, Sec 1 or 2, and ideas anyone apart from G.S. and G.T. ? Not interested in a Norinco or other copies thanks, Cash waiting!!

Regards

Steve

I had a couple of FTEXs lately myself. However, I know what caused them.

Normal operation is fire 10 to 15, allowing for no birds, then move off stand and wait for next stand and repeat. No problems.

Recently though I did a flush. 25 shots in rapid succession, no problem, got to the 2nd flush stand and repeat until about 20 shots in when I FTEX'd.

Went to the semi for the rest of the flush but the M37 barrel was very hot at this stage.

Next, was at my usual sporting venue, very warm day. Did stand 1 ok, and there was no queue at the next stand so straight in and 4 or so shots in FTEX'd again.

Rest of the round was fine.

Hot barrel with not much cool down inbetween was the common factor.

I can forgive the old girl because I love her to bits, just have to be wary of her eccentricities :-)

[quote name="TbirdX" post="3067524" timestamp="1464178356

I can forgive the old girl because I love her to bits, just have to be wary of her eccentricities :-)[/quote

Plus one and many others I suspect

Edited by impala59