Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well finally got out on the pigeons with the M37 for the first time since polishing the chamber.

And it was sublime. No longer fails to eject even on the same carts that would jam it up shot after shot without fail. Action is as smooth as silk.

Just fallen in love with it all over again.

Well finally got out on the pigeons with the M37 for the first time since polishing the chamber.

And it was sublime. No longer fails to eject even on the same carts that would jam it up shot after shot without fail. Action is as smooth as silk.

Just fallen in love with it all over again.

Magic!

Hi Impala,

Did you get my previous re reply from the Ithaca Gun Co/ M37 failing to extract/eject?? If not send me you e mail address........... the reply makes very interesting reading

In haste

Steve

Id be very interested in what they have to say about it?

My Hatsan Field Hunter issues appear to be solved! The little bit of filing I did a few weeks ago seems to have done the trick. It extracts Hull Superfast cartridges now when I could only manage one or two before it left one in the chamber. I think just short of 200 cartridges fired today, not one issue. Still fancy a Mossberg 590 though.

My Hatsan Field Hunter issues appear to be solved! The little bit of filing I did a few weeks ago seems to have done the trick. It extracts Hull Superfast cartridges now when I could only manage one or two before it left one in the chamber. I think just short of 200 cartridges fired today, not one issue. Still fancy a Mossberg 590 though.

Any pics on where you filed and how much?

Any pics on where you filed and how much?

extractor%20cutout_zpsjegimjdh.jpg

The red line was where the the extractor cut out ended originally. With a cartridge in the chamber there was very little of the cartridge base exposed for the extractor claw to grip on.

Extractor_zpsujlu3icg.jpg

extractorlocationtop_zpshg3629qi.jpg

extractorlocation_zpsr3wclyzt.jpg

The other pictures show where I have filed out a small mount on the bolt. Working the extractor claw back and forth with a finger there was a slight resistance at certain points above the spring tension during its travel. I removed just enough so there was no excess resistance detectable with my calibrated finger. The machining isn't of the best quality overall but it is cheap pump after all. I only removed a small amount from the bolt and at most 0.5 mm from the top of the extractor cut out. Compared to images of Remington 870 I could have taken much more out but I aired on the side of caution. Probably took about an hour taking a little bit off, testing, taking a little more, test again etc. But as it seems to work fine now an hour well spent.

Thank you, all information gratefully absorbed! PW certainly gives constant education, in the old days we were very much on our own when problems occurred and were solved

No problem. I've learnt a lot from this site, hopefully my experience will help someone else in a similar situation.

• 2 weeks later...

The old '37 with a new set of clothes, trying them on before the section 1 gets them.......just waiting for the ticket

Black Warrior stock, Modified Remington 870 forend, Brownell standard heatshield, Homemade fluorescent tunnel sight, webbing cartridge carrier, 5mw laser(will lose that as will make it open division)

post-75958-0-34629200-1465510092_thumb.jpg

Back on the old '37 subject, I had the most difficult to remove fail to extract today. I can confirm Marks (ChAoS) diagnosis regarding barrel position and tightness of mag cap to barrel lug. During a long PSG stage my FTE occurred and could not be cleared. I blew the stage, made the gun safe and then carefully took the gun down. The first thing I noticed was that the mag cap had moved, allowing the barrel to loosen. obviously the detent ball is not up to the job of keeping the mag cap in place. When I eventually got the fired case out (it was stuck firm) I kept it for later examination (photos) I believe that due to the Ithaca's barrel location system, and there not being a barrel extension that the bolt locks into, the small amount of increased headspace is causing the problem. With the interrupted threads on the barrel and receiver necessarily being fairly loose to permit ease of assembly/disassembly the mag cap is possibly the vital component with regard to effective lock-up. Constant tightening is the only answer that I can see at present as advised by Mark earlier. Loctite is probably an option but difficult as the thread is masked prior to engaging with the barrel lug. I am thinking of a grub screw into the side of the mag cap so as to locate the cap in a fixed position once engaged. I will check with the Ithaca owners site for their take on this

post-75958-0-18473000-1465750398_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-84325500-1465750399_thumb.jpg

Any of you guys/girls use a hatsan pump??? I got one and it only came with a cylinder choke, used it today with said choke with a load of eley vip 32g 6shot. Was quite effective but am wondering if I should tighten up on the choke?? What do you think???? I accept any opinions as it a free world!!!!

Ok, so I just educated myself. in researching my problem (above) I looked at the Numrich and other Ithaca exploded views and saw something I was not aware of previously, the magazine nut (mag cap) pin together with its associated screw and spring. My 1965 '37 does not have these parts, nor anywhere to fit them. it is fairly obvious (now) that the point of these parts is to prevent the mag cap from loosening and thereby causing the above problem. Next I started looking for a model shift or change and I discovered a 'Kngs Ferry' take down manual (I have on pdf if anyone wants it) This manual does not have the aforementioned pin, but crucially does offer a reason and solution for my problem. When refitting the barrel the yoke is loosely in place prior to rotating the barrel into place, the mag cap is fully screwed in. The mag cap is then screwed out to lock the barrel in place. All as normal so far. Finally,the yoke is driven with force (shown as being drifted with a hammer and wooden drift) to lock tight up against the magazine cap. This would mean of course no movement or loosening of the said cap could take place and more importantly the barrel would be firmly locked in place to prevent headspace issues. The final part of this assembly is to tighten up the yoke screw firmly. Now my '37 has a wear mark where the yoke screw has always been, which places the yoke about 1/8" behind the mag cap thereby allowing that amount of movement and the corresponding problems. I thought that I knew Ithaca '37s and have always believed that the ball detent was what stopped the cap from rotating, what put me on to this was that some caps are available without the dimples for the detent. On mine, now assembled as described above, it just feels a little more solid or maybe that's just me. I should be interested to hear other owners views on this. And yes, I know I need a new yoke screw!

post-75958-0-87993300-1465766444_thumb.jpg

Edit............ I should add that the above is contradictory to all other '37 manuals that I have, which state that to disassemble "turn the mag cap clockwise until it is flush with the yoke" this is only possible if the yoke is set back from the mag cap by about 1/8"

Edited by impala59

Any of you guys/girls use a hatsan pump??? I got one and it only came with a cylinder choke, used it today with said choke with a load of eley vip 32g 6shot. Was quite effective but am wondering if I should tighten up on the choke?? What do you think? ??? I accept any opinions as it a free world!!!!

Hi welcome. I use a Hatsan Field Hunter pump action. I'm assuming you are using it for pigeons? I only use it for PSG and clays so can't help much but I would have thought 1/2 would have been a better choke. But if you found it effective why do you feel the need to change?

the yoke is driven with force (shown as being drifted with a hammer and wooden drift) to lock tight up against the magazine cap.

First class bit of research and photos, Impala.

I had heard of the use of the yoke to lock the mag nut elsewhere; I believe that the American military and/or police armourers used to do it. I've not tried it myself.

As far as *my* M37 experience goes, my gun-buddy had extended the slide stop for me and I filed it, fitted it and tried the gun out. It jammed with *every* shot... I had filed enough off of the slide stop so that the action *just* locked up but was, I admit, surprised when it locked solid on firing. Jiggling the slide (bolt carrier) was enough to release it, as normal.

So, upon returning home, I filed a bit *more* off of the slide stop; not a lot - just enough to allow a bit of "jiggle" room.

The next time I tried, it did *not* jam up. (Woo hoo!) Unfortunately, the very first shot failed to extract... (D'oh!) I didn't investigate further due to busyness of the range. I will take a closer look at this the next time I attend a practice session.

This did mean, though, that I had to use my trusty Chiappa 1887 at Shield, last Saturday. What an *excellent* day that was! :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I don't know if I've posted this, but I now have a rifle: a Ruger 96/22. Old(ish) and viewed as a slightly "weird" choice by other shooters. (Story of my life, reeeely...)

First class bit of research and photos, Impala.

I had heard of the use of the yoke to lock the mag nut elsewhere; I believe that the American military and/or police armourers used to do it. I've not tried it myself.

As far as *my* M37 experience goes, my gun-buddy had extended the slide stop for me and I filed it, fitted it and tried the gun out. It jammed with *every* shot... I had filed enough off of the slide stop so that the action *just* locked up but was, I admit, surprised when it locked solid on firing. Jiggling the slide (bolt carrier) was enough to release it, as normal.

So, upon returning home, I filed a bit *more* off of the slide stop; not a lot - just enough to allow a bit of "jiggle" room.

The next time I tried, it did *not* jam up. (Woo hoo!) Unfortunately, the very first shot failed to extract... (D'oh!) I didn't investigate further due to busyness of the range. I will take a closer look at this the next time I attend a practice session.

This did mean, though, that I had to use my trusty Chiappa 1887 at Shield, last Saturday. What an *excellent* day that was! :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I don't know if I've posted this, but I now have a rifle: a Ruger 96/22. Old(ish) and viewed as a slightly "weird" choice by other shooters. (Story of my life, reeeely...)

I've put all this on the Ithaca owners site and hope for some clarification

You did mention on that site about your rifle, no pics yet?......... a lever with a banana mag should be great fun!........... and don't worry about the "others" all mainstream and smug, stick with what you like. I get the same reaction when discussing my next purchases, I'll take weird over boring any day!

no pics yet?

I'm still at the "investigatin' the new toy" stage, at present. Later, perhaps, I'll post some video - I'm being badgered into using it at Shield.

a lever with a banana mag should be great fun!

Yeah, that's wot *I* thought. :)

don't worry about the "others" all mainstream and smug, stick with what you like.

I don't and I do.

I'll take weird over boring any day!

Darned right!

Regards,

Mark.

Yes for pigeons and crows, effective yes but I think I was pricking a few at 35+yards. The pump is such a lovely gun!! And sooooo easy to clean!!!

If that is the case try a tighter choke try 1/2 and go from there. If you use the search function for pigeon shooting tips/choke opinions you'll get loads of info.

Agree on the cleaning part, takes 20 seconds to strip down. Can be cleaned and back in the cabinet in less than 10 minutes.

Well the concensus of opinion from over the pond seems to be that the position of the yoke relative to the barrel can in fact cause the fail to extract as I described above, which is a bit of a revelation to me as this has not to my recollection been mentioned elsewhere during the many discussions about the '37. The yoke can cause misalignment of the barrel and extractors.The procedure that I showed with the yoke hard against the mag cap is apparently a military and law enforcement fix to keep the barrel solidly in place during hard use. That seems like a no-brainer then! or am I missing something? It seems to me that the only downside to hard fitting the barrel is that a field strip and barrel removal without tools would not be possible, but then if its not jamming with a stuck case would that matter?