Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished the (nearly) final version of the PM5 conversion to eliminate the 'rock and lock' mag load system. (The final, final will hopefully be the pretty one) The earlier hybrid attempts were not the most successful things that I had done!

It all now works wonderfully with inerts, the mag-well allowing smooth loading and ejection of magazines with ball race guidance of the magazine to latch position, faultless feeding and a solid feel in a gun which as standard rattles like a well worn 1911, Just need to get some range time but bosses (home and work) have other ideas at the moment.

post-75958-0-64050300-1476829922_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-06100700-1476829924_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-32593700-1476829925_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

It certainly is ugly but its a great shooting gun. Now, if only It is now practical.................. one hopes for the best! I am persevering with this project if for no other reason than its difference to any other gun on the PSG circuit., I love my old pump guns and this seems a little out of place in the collection but maybe that's the reason ...................I will try and pretty it up for the next pics!!

My fellow pumpers,

We don’t seem to have a what’s in my collection vs what you’d like thread for a while so, what have you got vs what you want?

Currently own

Browning BPS 12b with a 28” bbl (S2)

Benelli Supernova cammo (S2 currently in for conversion to S1) with a 26” cammo barrel and a 24” rifle sighted slug barrel

Would like

Proper Wingmaster (1970s vintage) – Just because really

Winchester Model 12 – John Browning classic

Mossberg 500

Browning Auto 5

Ithaca 37 (Just want to compare with the BPS) – Maybe the trench sweeper just for fun

Stevens 520 as I’ve never shot one

So folks, what’s on your list?

Scrummy

For Mr Scully!

Still pig ugly but some nice colours and her cabinet mate, a pretty gun admired elsewhere, my Sabatti 1822. Rested on a Morin Khuur a two stringed Mongolian instrument played rather like a cello, from my wife's homeland

post-75958-0-23650200-1476874381_thumb.jpg

And did you notice Sir, that you were the 2000th post on this thread?

Edited by impala59

I'll drink to that............... just back from Falmouth Beer Festival....... hic ! Not driving for once which improves the experience.

Replying to earlier, I have 2x Auto 5's (one 1922 with Cutts on the end, t'other 1930's) and an M37 all of which I like differently but equally, and would not try to choose between them (unlike offspring!!)

Plan to rewatch Steve McQueen in 'Fear is the key' on DVD 'til the Zzzzzz take over....................

My fellow pumpers,

We don’t seem to have a what’s in my collection vs what you’d like thread for a while so, what have you got vs what you want?

Currently own

Browning BPS 12b with a 28” bbl (S2)

Benelli Supernova cammo (S2 currently in for conversion to S1) with a 26” cammo barrel and a 24” rifle sighted slug barrel

Would like

Proper Wingmaster (1970s vintage) – Just because really

Winchester Model 12 – John Browning classic

Mossberg 500

Browning Auto 5

Ithaca 37 (Just want to compare with the BPS) – Maybe the trench sweeper just for fun

Stevens 520 as I’ve never shot one

So folks, what’s on your list?

Scrummy

I agree you have great taste, but then this is the thread for gentlemen (and ladies of course) of excellent taste. my slightly runaway collection so far;

S1

Valtro PM5

Ithaca Model 37

S2

Ithaca 37

Savage 30

Squires Bingham 30

Smith and Wesson 916

Browning BPS

Fabarm FP6

Mossberg 600

Stevens 77F

Stevens 67

Stevens 79

Non Pump S2

Remington 1187 Premier (lefty)

Remington 1894 s x s

S1 .22LR

Sabatti 1822

On the list

Winchester 12

Winchester 1200

Winchester SXP

Remington 870

Remington 31 (mine was sold by an unscrupulous relative who had it on long term loan)

Remington 17

Ithaca 37 DSPS

Baikal 133K

Edit there's a lovely Winchester in the trade section..............I've just spent all my cash on the wife's birthday pressie .....not sure that she would prefer a Winchester classic.....probably lucky that I did not see that first!!

Edited by impala59

I have succumbed...

Oh, *yeah*...

Two things:

[a] Do some reading before taking the trigger pack out since, as I understand it, the "ears" can break off if it's re-fitted with too much "enthusiasm". (I've never disassembled my M20, so I'm merely relating what I've read on t'Interweb.)

If it's got a Powerpac choke, it might be an idea to surf before firing cartridges with wads that have plastic "petals". Again, I've only used clay rounds in mine, but the Yanks seem to think that the gap between the bore and choke can let the petals expand before leaving the muzzle.

Have fun. No, have *lots* of fun... :)

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks all.

Took it apart last night (having been reading up on it all week...)

Too late on the locating lugs on the trigger group - some muppet has already broken them off :( Still, not a load bearing part, so I will groove the front corners of the trigger block and make up a separate locking lug in a sort of H shape.

Action was quite sticky when I picked it up from Chateau Bosher, hence the strip down.

Having removed all the rcap, including some oil that had made transition to varnish, and re-lubricated everything, it now does the "push the action release and it opens all the way under it's own weight" thing :D

The batch number gives a delivery date to Sears of 11/6/1956, and it is a plain (no rib) barrel, full choke.

I had planned on a quick visit to Hawley on the way home, but time and the M11 conspired against me - maybe next weekend.

I'm certainly looking forward to shooting it 😀

Edited by CaptainBeaky

Too late on the locating lugs on the trigger group - some muppet has already broken them off :( Still, not a load bearing part, so I will groove the front corners of the trigger block and make up a separate locking lug in a sort of H shape.

Darn it...

Action was quite sticky

Oh, *that* ain't right.

it now does the "push the action release and it opens all the way under it's own weight" thing :D

Woo, hoo!

I'm certainly looking forward to shooting it 😀

You might like to peruse this thread - make sure that you take a look at the photos of a "go faster" M20 on the second page:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=276352

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks for the input folks, must do some pictures of the BPS and the Benelli with the slug barrel loaded up.

Amazing how many people want an A5 and also a Model 12. (And the take down in a motor case sounds fantastic!)

I think an Italian and a Chinese company make reproduction M12s for the Cowboy Action shooters but as far as I can see no UK importer and with a 20” barrel we’d have legal issues.

Scrummy

You might like to peruse this thread - make sure that you take a look at the photos of a "go faster" M20 on the second page:

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks for that, Mark - that Imperial model does look nice, although perhaps it loses the somewhat agricultural charm of the standard models :)

Fixing the broken lugs by drilling and tapping the receiver does, I fear, reveal a complete absence of style!