Pump Club

thepasty

Checking the bolt and sprung extractor ears on the Savage Mod 30, one pinged out. I found the 3 parts but am unsure which way round the spring follower goes. The wear mark suggests flat end to spring and half end facing out to extractor. Can anyone confirm please?

Ta

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe you are right, I will check tomorrow on a spare bolt. I assume we are talking about the right extractor? For the record, the left and right extractor plungers are identical, while the springs and extractors are not. Check out the Numrich 30E schematic and parts list

Always worth dis-assembling in a large clear bag, I have to say you were lucky to find the three parts, the shotgun gremlins eat them in my house!

Edited by impala59

Yes the right hand one, a bit slimmer and with the locating lug on the outside. I checked the schematic but the part is so small it's difficult to see.

Cheers

And you're right, if I intended to remove it I would have been careful. I was just flexing it think how it works and PING.

Yes the right hand one, a bit slimmer and with the locating lug on the outside. I checked the schematic but the part is so small it's difficult to see.

Cheers

And you're right, if I intended to remove it I would have been careful. I was just flexing it think how it works and PING.

Flat to the spring as you correctly anticipated

• 3 weeks later...

First post for ages, so hope i m doing this right ! The Bosher sold me a Manufrance pump from `80s..almost a gift really ..anyone else into these guns, would appreciate any info at all, as very little on line. Think they were sold as Lafrance in the States, very like Remington 870, but only weighs approx. 6 lbs (ally receiver)..works fine, carries easy for a 75 year old, helps me to keep shooting..Any thoughts appreciated, also ideas on spare parts ?

Thanks for that, believe Manufrance made some parts for Remington at this time, not sure if they interchange ..don`t have an 870 to check. Really wish I still had my old Wingmaster, but would be too heavy for me now,,more spinach maybe ? The Bosher gun has a 25 inch barrel, works fine for field and clays out to my comfort zone at 45 yds, racks like a Wingmaster ! Just hoping for anymore info..seems to cycle anything, so my mountain of ammo scrag ends will now go down, tho my talent level has bottomed out..still so much fun though...need to find a way to post a pic, and join the club !!!

Just found out these Manufrance pumps were sold as Colt and Marlin items in the States, also also as H @ R..light weight was a factor, and recoil is fine if mount is properly sorted..also use quite a few 870 bits..not sure about barrels, need to find an owner near me in Bournemouth to compare notes ?

Thought you may find this interesting

5. Colt Coltsman

The arms firm that Samuel Colt started in the 19th century cut its teeth on handguns and has dabbled off and on in rifles but in the 1960s, they also made a stab at the scattergun market. As it was a tentative step, they imported guns and rebranded them, much like Remington did with the Spartan line of Izmash Baikal guns of late. From Sauer of West Germany they bought exquisite SXS box lock drillings. For a bargain pump action gun they contracted with Franchi of Italy to make lightweight aluminum frames that were married to parts made by Jefferson Arms and Manu France. Put it all together and you have the gun they called the Coltsman.

colt_coltsman_12.jpg

Colt Coltsman 12-gauge pump gun.

These shotguns were made from 1961-65 and came in 12, 16, and 20-gauge chamberings. A pretty simple four shot tubular magazine rested under a 26 inch (improved), 28-inch (modified) or 30-inch (full choked) barrel. While collectable to some extent (how many Colt shotguns have you seen?) they are also affordable with shooter grade models popping up for around $200.

So with the above in mind, pay close attention to those beat up old school pump guns on the rack. You know the ones, with the dust on them. You may have a diamond in the rough.

Edited by impala59

Just the sort of info I was hoping for..really appreciate your time and effort. I`ve used a Colt Coltsman 20 years ago in the States, in 16 gauge..worked really well ! No idea of the french connection, though. These days, so much fun for beer money ! Also, the Stevens and Savage pumps which are also great value for money, weigh about 8 lbs ?..need a wheelbarrow to cart them and ammo down the hedge...6 lbs works fine and snaps up nicely..no excuses for me now ! I understand that Manufrance sold a lot of pumps in 16 gauge, very popular calibre in Europe ?

Well that a new one on me Impala, I've seldom seen a Colt pump shotgun before.Hey-ho, you live and learn. Outside the M16 variety, rifles aren't too common either. I believe the made some d/b hammer guns, and a rather nice looking box-lock s/b/s decades ago. I always keep my eye on the 'old pump rack' and found a 'Black Diamond',as my photos show!

Cheers

Steve

I probably should have done some before and after pics, and maybe a howto but I have just refinished the stock and forend on my Mossy 600AT. The gun fits me really well so I wanted to keep the original stock but it was tatty. I also wanted black furniture but definitely not of the "tactical" variety so I sprayed it and I think its come out great!

I sanded it down virtually to bare wood and then worked through the grits until it was smooth. Then simply gave it several coats of filling primer (the yellow kind), matt black auto spray paint and then a few coats of clear matt lacquer. I left it for ages to dry and today I decided it was time to refit it to the gun. I made some custom grip covers for the worn checkering from antigrip tape from Toolstation and put on an allen shell holder I had laying around, overall I think it looks and feels great, well chuffed with the results!

post-76330-0-34195100-1500394549_thumb.jpg

Nice, new lease of life to an old stock, could use this method to refinish a repaired stock too! I like the checkering replacement also, is it flexible to get round the curves and well stuck on?

It's really flexible and has a very heavy duty adhesive, I doubt it will come off easily! Despite being quite rough it seems to offer a really good grip and still feels quite comfortable to hold, I would recommend it highly!

This is the actual product I used

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p97962?table=no

And I got the idea from here

http://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/grip-tape-for-rifle-stock.17537/

Newest addition to the collection a 12g Winchester 1200, 28" winchoke barrel, 2 3/4" chamber all in pretty good shape. Not stripped down yet but all seems to be working ok. Anyone know where to get the winchoke hook and pin wrench?

post-75958-0-57238000-1500411857_thumb.jpg

PS thanks Wingman I shall invest in some of that!

Edited by impala59

• 2 weeks later...

It surely is addicitve, got my eye on a nice 870 at the moment so pump no2 may be shortly heading my way! I love my mossy though and its such a nice gun to work on and customise. I have just completed a full strip and service and refinished the stock and forend. Made a nice homebrew version of a cheekeez comb raiser from 3mm neoprene as the gun was shooting a tad low for me, very pleased with the results.

post-76330-0-76649900-1501577127_thumb.jpg

post-76330-0-94722500-1501577130_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wingman

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, which club is it?

AC sporting targets northolt. You dont see many pumps but quite a few semi auto's

Good to see clay clubs accepting pumps without the sneering, maybe one day all shooters will support each other and not snipe at each others chosen sport or equipment

indeed ! and considering i can manage 22/25 with my pump ( 23/25 is best with my beretta O/U) it can hold its own

its *so* much easier shooting sim pairs with a O/U but I get the biggest grin factor from the pump