knives

Davyo

Never used it on a rabbit, but I boned a leg of lamb yesterday with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009ES9VM2/

Razor sharp, stainless, and very inexpensive. The sheath hangs off a belt very securely. The knife clips into the sheath very securely too.

As above, also got one for the wife.....that's the romantic side of me

Either an Opinel Number 6 (About £6.00) carried in a leather belt pouch or a Mora Clipper (About £10.00) for me while "bunny bashing". Easy to keep a reasonably sharp edge on and cheap as chips. There are no doubt better knives for the job but at least if you put one of these down and forget to pick it up again or loose it you will not end up heartbroken!

I do have a rather nice hand made fixed blade knife and sheath which I use for stalking or culling but that is waiting to have a new grind putting on it and sharpening properly - If I lost that one I would be furious with myself!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Had a few opinels, found the blades to be very brittle and a bit fidly to open, especially with cold hands.

The Mora is a decent tool, easy to get razor sharp, easy to use but do not hold a decent edge for long.

The knife I find myself using for all my gutting, skinning, breasting etc, is an Enzo Trapper. Easy to sharpen, holds a razor sharp edge for longer, feels nice and has a good strong blade. It will also deal with chopping the rabbits legs and head off, with ease.

Opinel no. 7 no question, cheap and so sharp I could shave you with mine! And all for around 6-7 quid. Make sure you get a carbon blade though, much better than stainless. I also have a Trevor Ablett handmade lamb foot knife made in sheffield but it's almost too nice to use.

hi folks,

ive always liked knives and remember my late father using carbon steel blanks and charcoal firepits to soften and retemper the steel making replica samurai swords..

so...as im tight and like a challenge i built a miniture forge using an old brake drum and a hoover in blow mode to make this.

it was made using an old ****** file...first i heated it to cherry red the quenched in oil to soften the carbon steel to a workable hardness.

then drilled ,shaped and profiled the knife to my hand shape and the desired blade shape. i left the back edge with the original files edge just in case ;)

then the whole thing was popped in the over for about 3 hrs on 220c and then left to cool down naturaly over night to temper the steel.

then this was sharpened on a whet stone and i added the lanyard..

not a bad 2 days work i dont think...

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Buck Vantage. Holds an edge very well. Liner lock is the easiest folder design to clean. 2 3/4" blade ideal length for paunching.

Must have paunched 800 rabbits with this one and I think its seen the Lansky once. Otherwise it just gets stropped on leather after each use and stays razor sharp.