New Land

Gatekeeper522

• 4 weeks later...

That's quite odd, I had originally started out shooting bunnies and struggled to start with, then now the same farmers are aking me to shoot pigeon on their rape. So am now investing in a semi auto and then will be all the gear......

Oddly, a few have said they've struggled to get regular shooters. The rabbits only last so long, so me and my mate are turning to pigeons now to fill the gap / spare time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent Wednesday driving around farms looking for some permission, the main problem I found was finding the farmer! It was always the farmers wife or an elderly relative and the reply was always no, we've already got/ don't want anyone, I left them all with this letter:

Address ect....

Dear Sir / Madam,
I am writing to you as I am currently seeking an area of land where I may obtain shooting permission, in doing so I will provide the control of pests and vermin free of charge.
To provide you with some back ground information about myself I am employed as a time served mechanical engineer, and enjoy woodworking and shooting in my spare time.
I have previous shooting experience, am fully insured with BASC (The British Association for Shooting and Conservation) and have held a shotgun certificate for the past 6 years.
All boundaries and livestock respected, all shooting is carried out with shotguns and silenced air rifles.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, If I can be of any assistance to you in this matter or you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards
Andrew
I had a call last night from a farmer I visited asking me to meet him, I meet him today and now have 130 acres to shoot on, and it's on my door step!
Without the letter i'd still be searching.

100 Letters written and posted to Lincoln farmers since christmas. Off door knocking for the first time tomorrow. Any tips? ??? Please!!!

Well done mate .

stevo

Edited by stevo

• 2 weeks later...

Yes good luck, I know what your going through.

I got my very 1st permission the other day, it's only suitable for the air riffle.

and it's only 4 paddock fields, one of which is used by dog walkers so I have to be there either very very early or into dark.

unfortunately one of the conditions is he doesn't want me lamping.

But I'm just grateful.

I have also been out today knocking doors, previously I found looking up long drives to farms quite intimidating for some reason.

today I have spoke to 2 farmers both already had people either ferreting or shooting with air riffles, they were both very friendly and I left them both with my drafted letter with my details.

asking if anything changes to keep me in mind.

this 1st permission has given me a confidence, and ill be out again tomorrow with a smile and being polite.

Edited by Cookie69

• 2 weeks later...

The emails I sent out over a month ago have paid off,

I had a reply to one of them on Tuesday, and i have just returned from a quad bike tour of the land.

66 acres of livery/paddocks

Its an air riffle permission and it's apparently over run with rabbits.

the woman cant wait for me to start.

Neither can I.

• 4 weeks later...

The emails I sent out over a month ago have paid off,

I had a reply to one of them on Tuesday, and i have just returned from a quad bike tour of the land.

66 acres of livery/paddocks

Its an air riffle permission and it's apparently over run with rabbits.

the woman cant wait for me to start.

Neither can I.

What do you do with all the rabbits?