homemade nightvision evo,s

evo

hi all,

well here it is,,after weeks of experimenting with different camera,s and attachments and other things i have finally come up with my nightvision setup

firstly it is not as cheap as others have made but the quality is superb, i could of made it a bit cheaper by buying a smaller battery but i wanted a battery i could use not only for my NV setup but also my flapper and my magnet aswell,i also could of bought a cheaper camera but the quality would not have been as good.

so far here are the costings

1 x 12v 12a/h battery £21.42

1 x mono tube camera 3.6 to 12mm bullet camera £48.36

1 x scope attachment(carbon fibre (homemade)

1 x bullet camera to scope attachment £ 2.00

1 x 3.5 LCD display £ 15

as you can see i have payed a bit out but the reason for this is i wanted the best quality i could get, i have built this to use with my huntsman classic at ranges to a max of 40mtrs and believe me it can go a lot further, the picture quality is very sharp from 5mtrs to 70mtrs but i have not tried it at further distances yet as i dont need it for these distances.I have tried to show just how sharp the image is in daylight and will add another video update as soon as my IR arrives.

i have not had a chance yet to use it with the IR illuminator as i am waiting for delivery of it and as soon as i receive it i will show you just how effective it is but the video will give you an insight of how it all attaches to the rifle and how light it will be(making it as light as possibl;e has been the main aim of this project and also keeping it as compact as possible.

this video is to show you all how to make the setup keeping things as light as possible on the rifle as i wanted something that can be carried about in the field with ease,, i did not want all sorts hanging off the gun

please realise this is my prototype and will want some more work doing before i take it out hunting when i say more work i mean shortening of cables etc because the camera and LCD setup is exactly how i want it

hope you enjoy the clip its a bit longwinded but i have tried to show you how its been done,

please note as soon as the IR illuminator arrives i will show you how it performs during a night session

thanks for watching and will post the update with the IR in the next day or so,,,, cheers Evo

http://youtu.be/RIPpqHJKvWM

ps,,,, i have just tried the camera out whilst dark with my gl4 and red filter and the picture quality at 55mtrs is outstanding,,well pleased

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cheers jamie, its taken me weeks to sort a decent camera out mate, tried it last night with the GL4 torch when it was pitch black and i could see around the back garden even with the torch off, but when i switched the torch on with the red filter the picture quality was brill,

just waiting for the IR illuminator to come now then trim all the cables up and its ready to go,,looking forward to testing it on the rabbits on my perm mate

if your happy with it, that's all that matters, I wouldn't want to be lugging that battery around though, my rotary worked on a 12v 7ah, bout half the size of that one, so pinched that, plenty enough to power mine up for 6 hours, I added an adapter so if shooting from the car, it all plugs into cigarette socket

yes mate the battery is a bit heavy , but as said its all trial and error at the moment, i will get a smaller battery in time but just wanted a large one to experiment with but the main thing is i,m happy with the vision on the screen

if your happy with it, that's all that matters, I wouldn't want to be lugging that battery around though, my rotary worked on a 12v 7ah, bout half the size of that one, so pinched that, plenty enough to power mine up for 6 hours, I added an adapter so if shooting from the car, it all plugs into cigarette socket

Edited by evo

This set up looks great, as you said no bulkiness and looks very neat & sturdy.The camera you are using,did you change the lens or is it the one that came with the camera?Can i also ask where did you get the camera from & that holder you have on it where did you get that? Sorry for all the question but this is by far the best homemade nv setup i have seen by far.

ok guys i,ve finished shortening cables and here is the night vision finished and on my rifle,,as you can see it is not bulky and sits perfectly in tune with the rifle, keep an eye on this thread as i will show you this week just how good and clear this homemade system is in total darkness

i will take the setup to my perm and make a video this week,

so far i have fiddled with the setup and can now say the quality upto 70 yrds is excellent just using my Ledray Gl4 with the red filter on, this week i will show you all what it is like using an additional IR illuminator and to distances over 100 yrds

will keep ya posted , thanks again for the messages and once the setup is 100% proven then i will give those who want to know a list of components

thanks again Evo

I think when you post the video done with the IR you gona get bombarded with PM's lol & Nitesite's profits are gona drop

cant wait to use the IR because i know it will work very well, to be honest its a lot easier to set up and use than the said mentioned and also there is not the problem of if it gets knocked you have to reset the tube the camera sits in,my design is totally rigid and will not move at all once positioned took a bit of time to do but well worth the effort so far and even with the Ir it will have saved me about £450 so more money to buy more kit

to be honest even without any lights when i tried looking up to the sky in the trees it was like daylight so it would be brill for those snoring pigeon,s lol

cant wait to use the IR because i know it will work very well, to be honest its a lot easier to set up and use than the said mentioned and also there is not the problem of if it gets knocked you have to reset the tube the camera sits in,my design is totally rigid and will not move at all once positioned took a bit of time to do but well worth the effort so far and even with the Ir it will have saved me about £450 so more money to buy more kit

to be honest even without any lights when i tried looking up to the sky in the trees it was like daylight so it would be brill for those snoring pigeon,s lol

shooting pigeons at night with night vision

put ya tin hat on and i will get my popcorn lol

colin

ferals, certainly was, would never shoot a woodie in the dark , now that would be better left for the daytime with the sporting shotgun and no 6 carts, much more fun . but would certainly be popping the ferals at the farm

thanks falcon glad you knew what i was on about :good:

just an update,,

my IR illuminator has arrived at last, will try and put the video on asap but working tonight so will prob be tomorrow, i,m borrowing a sony handycam also so as i can film it better to show you the results

cheers Evo

Hi Evo

I must say.That is one of the best(easiest) set ups I have seen.Excellent work mate.Cant wait to see your results with your ir illuminator attached.I have been messing about with a sony cam and also a bresser unit but it has limited distance due to being attached to my scope And is also hard to use as the camera comes right back to the end of my stock and I get a cricked neck tring to look at the screen or down the bresser eye piece.

Looking forward to seeing your final parts list as I think I would def go down the same route as you.Wish I had seen this before.It would have saved me money on all the I/R illuminators I have been trying out lately.

L.R.S ,

yes mate its all about sorting a decent camera that will accept the IR, the most important thing i have found so far is when the camera is colour the picture quality on the LED is not as good as when using a black and white camera,also mate its defo false economy buying a cheap camera,this is what is doing all the work

i did a small test this morning and after some small adjustments the setup is fantastic using my red light i can see perfect to 100 yrds, with the white light this has increased to at least 150 yrds, i tried it for a few mins with the IR (pulsar 940) and the vision dropped to around 60 yrds but the picture darkened and is not to my satisfaction, with the red light my setup is like shooting in daylight but i,m not quite happy with the IR, i,ll be doing a few more tests tomorrow night but these will be done in proper conditions,in the middle of a field when its pitch black,

On tuesday night i,m gonna be trying a new IR out,this is a lot stronger and smaller and lighter than the 940 and half the price so looking forward to testing it under these conditions,

At present the setup is superb for using at air rifle ranges upto 50 yrds with a red light but this is not what i,m trying to acheive, i,m trying to get it working with the IR to distances to around

120mtrs so the lads with the rimfires are sorted,this i,m trying to complete with portability in mind and also price aswell

I,ll post the results on this thread late tuesday evening when i get back after the tests

cheers Evo

thanks for that,will be trying a different illuminator on tuesday,, i,ve just done a test with it and it seems to be working fine upto 50yrds its crystal clear on the LCD.

will be taking it in the field monday evening with the setup i,ve got now, the other IR is in the 850nm, but i cant get this till tuesday so will give that a try tue evening also in the field.

i,ve just done a couple of tests on vid so will upload them in a mo as soon as they are done,,anyway thanks for the comments,,catch ya soon Evo