Modern wad is made up of 3 parts,

1,The powder wad

2,The cushion

3,The shot cup

4,Casing

5,Brass

6,Primer

7,Shot

Thanks Redgum the officer even had a diagram'Alan Morris firearms enquiry officer for Durham.The question was genuine if you want I will pm his email address and you can ask him direct.

Edited by Davyo

1,The powder wad

2,The cushion

3,The shot cup

4,Casing

5,Brass

6,Primer

7,Shot

Thanks Redgum the officer even had a diagram'Alan Morris firearms enquiry officer for Durham.The question was genuine if you want I will pm his email address and you can ask him direct.

1,The powder wad

2,The cushion

3,The shot cup

4,Casing

5,Brass

6,Primer

7,Shot

Just one small point if I may:Where is the charge? Sorry, but it looks like 1:0 to Redgum. Not to mention the rest of us that have been lead up the garden path.

Edited by wymberley

PM,s sent please feel free to post any response you get from the Feo that interviewed my son on Monday. Or even just an apology for calling me a lier

'ere, I got one of those PMs (no apostrophe or even a comma required, it's plural) accusing me of calling him a liar (yep, the 'a' is correct). Just checked my posts and as far as I can see, just like everyone else, I've (we've) done nothing but try to get to the answer. Now we supposedly have it and it can be seen that all of us - including the OP and his son - have, indeed, been lead up the garden path by his FEO - I said that that man could be dangerous.

Consequently, matey, you'll get no apology from me. I have no idea from where your lad picked up the information that enabled him to answer the question in the manner that he did - hopefully not from his father - but I would suggest that you bin that reference and that you buy him the 'Handbook of Shooting - The Sporting Shotgun' from BASC for his birthday. It'll do him (and probably you) far more good.

How can an FEO be classed or labelled dangerous for asking a question? Now all of a sudden just for posting i need a hand book on how to shoot?For **** sake i only posted cause i thought it an unusal question!Did i ask people too start listing the components ,no i did not,could i list them no way,as long as the ******* thing goes bang then thats all i need to know.Why is it that when anybody posts there's always one knob who knows it all,what a tit.

Edited by Davyo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I had this the other day from the same FEO. (Found this thread by googling his name)

I was asked about the make up of a cartridge, the diameter of a 12G, why would certain shells always be yellow, what to do with a misfire, what dangers I could encouter at a gunclub etc etc.

Spoke to a friend who already has his licence (albeit in a different part of the country) and he assures me a FEO can't ask these questions. Can anyone shed any light? The FEO wants me to go along to my local club a few more times and brush up on my knowledge and said he'd call me back in a month.

I know this is an old thread but I had this the other day from the same FEO. (Found this thread by googling his name)

I was asked about the make up of a cartridge, the diameter of a 12G, why would certain shells always be yellow, what to do with a misfire, what dangers I could encouter at a gunclub etc etc.

Spoke to a friend who already has his licence (albeit in a different part of the country) and he assures me a FEO can't ask these questions. Can anyone shed any light? The FEO wants me to go along to my local club a few more times and brush up on my knowledge and said he'd call me back in a month.

Your answer lies within this thread. Your FEO can ask any pertinent questions he likes, but if you choose to answer and get them wrong has no bearing on whether you'll be granted a SGC or not. That depends entirely on whether you satisfy criteria as laid down in HO guidelines and not on some ridiculous and irrelevant questions the vast majority of UK shooters couldn't (and wouldn't) answer.

Get your application in now, pop along to your local clay ground and get practising, enjoy yourself and forget about inane questions and inane FEO's. Oh, and join a shooting organisation, preferably one that will tell your FEO what he can do with his 12 gauge diameters.

Your answer lies within this thread. Your FEO can ask any pertinent questions he likes, but if you choose to answer and get them wrong has no bearing on whether you'll be granted a SGC or not. That depends entirely on whether you satisfy criteria as laid down in HO guidelines and not on some ridiculous and irrelevant questions the vast majority of UK shooters couldn't (and wouldn't) answer.

Get your application in now, pop along to your local clay ground and get practising, enjoy yourself and forget about inane questions and inane FEO's. Oh, and join a shooting organisation, preferably one that will tell your FEO what he can do with his 12 gauge diameters.

Oh the application is in, the cabinet is on the wall it's just actually passing my application over to the chief constable to sign off is seemingly delayed by a month cause I didn't know yellow cartridges are 20G.

I don't know the best way of going forward - send him an email and risk rocking the boat or sticking with my month delay

The comments that said this feo are dangerous, I believe meant in relation to what's happened to RW84, why delay his application because he didn't know how a cartridge is made or the diameter of a 12G....... If the feo thought them essential knowledge then why didn't the feo give the answers, we all only know something because someone else told us, why couldn't he give the information to the applicant?

I would be onto basc asking for help as the feo is unduly delaying this, to be granted they have to be happy your not a risk.......I did have one feo once advise me to keep 12g and 20G carts seperately even though I have never owned a 20G, but he didn't dress it up in a stupid question I could fail on, he just told me and said why, we then talked about that aspect of safe shooting and horror stories ................

The comments that said this feo are dangerous, I believe meant in relation to what's happened to RW84, why delay his application because he didn't know how a cartridge is made or the diameter of a 12G....... If the feo thought them essential knowledge then why didn't the feo give the answers, we all only know something because someone else told us, why couldn't he give the information to the applicant?

I would be onto basc asking for help as the feo is unduly delaying this, to be granted they have to be happy your not a risk.......I did have one feo once advise me to keep 12g and 20G carts seperately even though I have never owned a 20G, but he didn't dress it up in a stupid question I could fail on, he just told me and said why, we then talked about that aspect of safe shooting and horror stories ................

Me I'm afraid, and you're right.

This kicked off two years ago now so how many other applicants has he messed about in that time - and previously - and will in the future - all apparently condoned by his superiors at Durham FD who appear to be a law unto themselves.

Oh the application is in, the cabinet is on the wall it's just actually passing my application over to the chief constable to sign off is seemingly delayed by a month cause I didn't know yellow cartridges are 20G.

I don't know the best way of going forward - send him an email and risk rocking the boat or sticking with my month delay

If you are a member of BASC or another shooting organisation, then get in touch with them.

If not, then you can either put up with it, or write a letter to his bosses complaining about his conduct, that he is overstepping his authority, etc, etc.

If you are a member of BASC or another shooting organisation, then get in touch with them.

If not, then you can either put up with it, or write a letter to his bosses complaining about his conduct, that he is overstepping his authority, etc, etc.

I'm not a member but I think it may be worthwhile regardless of this.

I'm confident that once this is resolved I'll get my licence - he was a nice fella, chatty, friendly and amenable, it wasn't until I spoke to my friend who has his licence that I realised these questions were unusual, then upon searching the FEO's name I found this thread. I was under the assumption this was standard procedure until I saw this thread, but the more I've read after the event I realise he's being a bit unfair. I'm in no doubt it'll probably benefit me in the long run but he was happy with me, my medical history, my cabinet it just seems he feels the need for new applicants to understand the physics and safety of owning a shotgun.

He's ringing me back in a month and I'll answer his questions over the phone (he said he didn't need to come out again), once he's happy with that he'll pass my application over.

I have heard that Durham is the hardest county to get your licence due to 3 women from the same family being shot a couple of years back

Edited by RW84

He's ringing me back in a month and I'll answer his questions over the phone (he said he didn't need to come out again), once he's happy with that he'll pass my application over.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pass my application over'. Do you mean he has removed your application from the system and is hanging onto it until you have answered his questions before he will hand it over to licensing? I sincerely hope not.

If you have submitted your application it should be in the system awaiting processing.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pass my application over'. Do you mean he has removed your application from the system and is hanging onto it until you have answered his questions before he will hand it over to licensing? I sincerely hope not.

If you have submitted your application it should be in the system awaiting processing.

Well he's insistant he rings me back in a month to discuss the questions I didn't know. I assumed the process was that he comes to see me, once he's happy it goes to licensing and ultimately it needs signing off by the chief constable

Rw84 join basc now, its worth it, and when you are shooting you will need insurance, I get understanding safety, but I drive a car, I understand the basics but couldn't name the internal workings by name/part...... Should the dvla revoke my driving license?

Will do, cheers