Effective range for fac air rifle.

lister1

Ello boys and gurls.

On one of the farms I shoot we have a rabbit problem. Ive shot loads with the shot gun, had loads in traps even had a few with a standard airrifle but they are getting wise and becoming lamp shy.

Now the problem is there are roads and houses nearby so 22lr or hmr is a no no but fac air may fit the bill.

I was wondering what sort of effective range you fac air guys are getting in comparison to the ft/lb your shooting.

Cheers

James.

I've been thinking over the values of FAC air recently too and I was surprised how little extra range you get from an FAC Air. you might extend the max shootable range by 20yds? I've had extensive plays with Chairgun (changing the power up to FAC levels) and Kyska's right, you get a nice flat trajectory, and more impact power, but the increase in range isn't proportionate to the increase in power. You could go into the world of Air Ranger 80 (80ft/lb) or the Wolverine (100 ft/lb+) but then you get tiny numbers of shots, and they're ruddy expensive.

Ello boys and gurls.

On one of the farms I shoot we have a rabbit problem. Ive shot loads with the shot gun, had loads in traps even had a few with a standard airrifle but they are getting wise and becoming lamp shy.

Now the problem is there are roads and houses nearby so 22lr or hmr is a no no but fac air may fit the bill.

I was wondering what sort of effective range you fac air guys are getting in comparison to the ft/lb your shooting.

Cheers

James.

lamp shy rabbits ,,if i was you i,d build yourself one of these, wont have a problem getting close then

Edited by evo

I've got an Daystate Air Wolf Mvt 40lb, You can put apply whatever poundage up 40lb it is very versatile.I normally shoot it at 35lb out in the field and drop the power to shoot around the farm. My best rabbit so far is a clean kill at 74 metres (range finder used), it didn't even flinch.

Generally though in my opinion shots between 60-70 metres are F.A.C air rifle limits, unless you go for the Ranger 80lb or the Wolverine as previously stated.

The big thing that limits your distance is the wind effect on pellets and also pellets not flying true. Pellet weight also has an effect on range.

My 12 ft lb .22 Air is zeroed at 30 yards.

My 26ft lb .22 FAC Air is zeroed at 40 yards

My 100ft lb,.22lr, Bolt Action and Semi are both zeroed at 60 yards

My HMR, 245 ft lb and WMR, 322 ft lb are both zeroed at 100 yards

Practice will improve everyone, but don't push the boundry too far!

Just to keep me in practise with mine i took the oppertunity to buy some cheap 25mm (2p size) steel spinners(Gr8fun targets had a deal on "seconds"), am going to use them in 5 yard spaces out to 70 yards. My barrel got a good clean lastnight with a napier pull through kit and i have 2 fresh tinns of JSB`s to re lead and practise at first chance ! But i feel this is realistic, if there had of been 20mm spinners i would of taken those buth that all that was of interest that was on offer.

Practise is the key :)

Basa superten 29lbs,zeroed at 30mtrs use it for rabbits under 50mtrs shoots straight through.Have killed out to 70mtrs.But for clean sure kills keep to 50mtrs & under. The thing with FAC air is don't get over confident and shoot within you capability.

As always a good topic, short answer how accurate can you be etc,etc!

I use a Daystate Airwolf MCT FAC. .22, 36ftlbs on 21grn Bisley Magnum, I have been messing around with a ballistics programme, different scopes, and parallax to see what sort of accuracy it can achieve. Now this is in good conditions, little wind, ON PAPER!! Further adjustments were made and not shown here to perfect the hunting set up. When I'm shooting at quarry, I would pick similar conditions, wind being the biggest consideration on range. The parallax on this scope is a little undefined on the objective lens and further work will be done on marking the ranges with the range finder.

First photo 5 shots @ 70 yards, 70 yds est Parallax setting, energy 21ftlbs?

70yds_zps7b1307fa.jpg

2nd photo 5 shots @100 yards bottom right of paper. Parallax left on 70yd est setting. 4 shots, 1 pulled shot, energy 17ftlbs?

same pic centre parallax adjusted to 100yds on lens + 4 moa of elevation. Parallax error induced lack of accuracy?

100yds_zpsda869109.jpg

With my preferred scope, 70-80 yards is as near a certainty as can be. It has a 1/4 " adjustment per click @ 100yds which is ok, but 1/8 would be better. Everything has to be right for the shot as with sub 12 which I will do to 45yds given the same criteria. For me FAC air is not a bit past sub 12ftlbs, its nearly double and that makes it very worth while. The Airwolf is electronically regulated and absurdly consistent and that leads to greater accuracy. :good: Its is more accurate than the CZ455 hmr I had and the CZ455 22lr I still have. Obviously though, the rimfires carry more energy and hence the kill area is larger, especially the hmr!!

Edited by turbo33

theres a patch inbetween 12fp and rimfire..funnily enough that patch is filled by FAC airguns..

but, a lot is determined by ammo, gun and user..i.e. how much money you got then? and how much practice can you put in.

Edited by stoogey

• 10 years later...

I use a 30fpe .22 and kill at 80mtr I'm at abt 890fps and get 70 shots a fill

My friend uses FX impact .22 at anything between 50-100fpe 

He kills at 120mtr with slugs not pellets as they don't group after 900+FPS and gets abt 120+ shots a fill 

Now that is worth having fac in aur rifle.

It's not about the power it's the accuracy so you tune your gun to the sweet spots it likes.

Up or down just 1fpe can alter your group. But if messing about and you'll be grouping at silly ranges.

I zero my .22 FAC BTAS FX Cyclone at 45 yards for bunny duties and get 40 regulated shots per fill + a few more unregulated ones with power dropping off. 

I don't use it any more and its in the for sale section on here.