Every FEO has different view

Cosd

My friend had his shotgun renewal visit from the FEO a couple of days ago and he's gone in and done the usual with regards questions and all that.

Then he comes to checking the break down gun cabinet which my friend has fitted under his stairs behind closed doors. The FEO starts yanking it, pushing and pulling, but knowing how my mate likes to do things, the cabinet will be the only thing left standing even if a nuclear bomb demolished the rest of the house. No joy trying to budge the cabinet from it's fixing he proceeds to tell my mate that he would have preferred the cabinet to be in the loft because of the electric box and gas meter under there too! He said this even though my mate lives in a detached house where he has no walls in the loft and would have to fix the safe to joists.....

Job's worth or sound advice?

Mines under my stairs with gas and electricity meters, my FEO said nothing of the sort and was happy with placement.

Mine actually checked on whether i had anything like that in the place i was intending to put it, I guess to ensure no one casts an eye on it that isnt in the immediate family, that being said he's never been back to check the install

thats the issue being seen by meter readers and any sparkie of gas man that you have round, but its far outweighed by what are the chances of you always going up to the loft to put a gun away after lamping. Mine is in the corner of the kitchen at the moment not overly well hidden but ours aren't visiting these days and just phone when you move house etc

The requirement is fix the cabinet to the structure of the building and keep it out of sight of casual visitors.

In my opinion a casual visitor is someone who you may keep in the doorway or allow into one room only.

Meter readers usually need access to under stairs etc and I'm sure they see their fair share of general safes, as it's a reasonable place to hide things out of sight. I wouldn't class them as a casual visitor.

There's no way I'd have a safe on the loft (even if it were possible) - just not practical enough for putting guns away.

I think he's being a jobsworth.

Jobsworth. Has he asked you to remove every other item from display in your house which might signify that you shoot.

My gaff has a weather vane on the chimney showing a bloke holding a gun! Would he have me hide that as well?

Where do the plod get these people? They make my blood boil!

its doing no harm, what a cock!!!!!!! they make it up as they go along some of them!!!!! I'M with GMP who are awsome my FLO is super efficient and dont talk carp,

Atb

Flynny

PS my cabinets are in the loft room, but its a right pain in the ***** getting them in and out especially after a night lamping, I end up wakeing everyone in the house up putting my guns away, much better under the stairs,

Edited by flynny

I've got two; one's in the corner of my bedroom out of sight from the window and the other's next to the wardrobe, again unseen from the window - but just inside the door. All ok with my flo though. However, when he checked the ammunition safe which is under a desk on the wall he did comment that it's probably more secure than the cabinets - probably because it was more hidden and difficult to attack through lack of space.