Bullet update

beeredup

well young bullet is coming on nicely he has his issues but he is only 7 months old he will quarter and hunt well and he loves the odd memory retrieve he is steeady when sat next to me when i throw something and he loves swimming out into a pond for a tennis ball or dummy, he is a lot calmer around the house since we increased how much mental stimulation he gets through training and he isn't being a pain the rear end biting the wife anymore lol

bullets2.jpg

bullets3.jpg

bullets1.jpg

its all nice and steady nothing too crazy and all good fun he is a little bit show boaty when he finds some thing but time will settle that down as he grows up a bit more :)

• 3 months later...

ah well young Bullet is now just over 10 months and coming along nicely his stop whistle is getting sharper by the day he quarters very well and turn on the whistle his recall is good too and his retrieves are on the up (he only gets one or two every few days) but he still tries it on and likes to tease me with the dummy a lil bit

post-52371-0-04331500-1379425095_thumb.jpg

post-52371-0-59128200-1379425104_thumb.jpg

Hi WGD, thanks he is bred from a working Springer sire (liver and white) and a working black Cocker bitch he seems to be responding well to training he can be very head strong some times but he is starting to be a lot more settled lately :)

we have had a few problems with delivery on retrieves but that is slowly being resolved and he is giving the dummy back now instead of tormenting me with it lol

i know he is a cross breed and he is not gonna get the same recognition as a field trials bred dog but as long as he keeps doing well with training and is happy and healthy i am more than happy with him :)

all the best

Andy

• 11 months later...

Well not put an update on here about young Bullet for a while so here goes. he's coming on nicely with his training his stops some thing i am rather proud of as he is razor sharp on it. and he hunts nicely once he gets a whiff of scent. recently we have been working on steadiness and not running in for dummies that other dogs are being sent for and we are making progress been getting help by a good friend i made through PW with his training. at the end of last season while out on a small walked up shoot we had two days where bullet was kept on the lead clipped to me and he was brilliant sitting to the shot and marking anything that was shot so on the second day after i shot a nice cock pheasant stone dead and Bulelt had sat and marked it and we were 100% the pheasant was stone dead we sent him for it which he promptly collected and proudly presented me with :) to say it was a proud moment does not even come close to covering it :)

so then the season ended and we carried on with the training including some rabbit pen work, he's now flushed countless rabbits, hares and pheasants oh and a surprise chicken we bumped into under a bush and all this culminated in a session of dogging in on a local shoot which went very well as Bullet flushed a pheasant sat to the flush perfectly and as i was about to walk over and give him a fuss another 20 or so flushed from the long grass around him to which he remained perfectly steady another proud moment i worked him on for a few moments but i was clear to see he was a tad over excited so i put him not he lead for a wee while but son had him hunting through some woods and back on an even keel :)

so this coming season we will be working on a small local shoot doing some very light beating and also on a walked up shoot where i hope to shoot over him too once we have had a few gun less outings to concentrate on him. i have also got on a wild fowling association so its looking like a second dog will be joining Bullet more than likely a Lab (I've been offered pick of the boys from a high end Lab breeder a good friend knows) but i am sure if i pick my shots and make sure the ducks fall right Bullet will be man enough for the job :)

Thanks guys, with Bullet being my first trained gun dog we have had lots of ups and downs but i have had some great support from friends i have made since getting him

your so right Kent you need to find ground with at least some scent on it to get the dogs senses in gear, I'm lucky my local gun dog club has some land leased we can go on for training anytime and i have been using rabbit pens too the photos below were taken after a session in the pen

DSC_1840.jpg

DSC_1843.jpg

Edited by beeredup

• 1 month later...

heres a little update on Bullet having had him out beating and having him pick a few birds up me and him have moved over into a spot of wild fowling getting him to settle int he hide is a bit of challenge but he soon got the message after the first retrieve sadly i missed a lot of shooting chances before that but we ended the flight with a nice mallard and a superb retrieve across a flowing tide for Bullet. i am seriously proud of my little lion hearted sprocker

post-52371-0-07926600-1414529788_thumb.jpg

Cheers Mike, thanks for the encouragement. its been amazing training Bullet and he really has become my best mate! i will keep you unto date with our exploits and now he has a pal too in Trigger our Lab pup we have just got so lots of training to do for Trigger an keep up Bullets training too :D

i have a small private group on Facebook for working sprockers there aint many of us in there but we chat about training and share problems and other dog related stories and photos some of the members are pet owners keen to do a bit of the training as fun for both them and the dog