Best courier for sending air cylinders?

Ian.S

Do bear in mind that you may need to be a little deceptive if using a courier. A lot of them don't like pressurised cylinders (which, I assume, is why the reply above had it emptied and not looking like an air cylinder.)

But, having it totally empty runs the risk of getting moist air in there, which can cause rusting.

Do bear in mind that you may need to be a little deceptive if using a courier. A lot of them don't like pressurised cylinders (which, I assume, is why the reply above had it emptied and not looking like an air cylinder.)

But, having it totally empty runs the risk of getting moist air in there, which can cause rusting.

Rusting in air bottles often happens with Divers as get moisture in it

But Draining it of Air and Turning it off and Shipping it - Should not result in any rusting

To Ship with Air would risk Accident and get All further bottles banned -

I used to buy in Faber Bottles from MDE

Was Well packed and never had a issue -

As Bottle is Steel and heavy - packing needs to be robust to stop it braking out of Carton -

BOB/R

Rusting in air bottles often happens with Divers as get moisture in it

Can you explain how this happens ?? :unsure:

As I understand it,

dive centres fill tanks through several stages of moisture removal traps, filters,driers in order to ensure both clean and dry air.

Air in dive cylinders is compressed to many times the atmospheric pressure so if there was to be a leak between cylinder and atmosphere the air is going to be coming out under pressure rather than damp atmospheric pressure pushing it's way in.

If a cylinder is stored charged air can't be drawn inwards surely as the outside pressureis far less ?

I think he might mean moisture gets around the vital parts ie: the head of the tank causing corrosion. Meaning that whilst it is still 'safe' to use in the sense it will work it falls below the legal safety requirement and so has to be got rid of. Hence why your tank has to be inspected every two and half years unless it's a land tank, like my bisley 12 litre, then it's every five years.

I bought a 10 lit 232 bar bottle last year very cheap out of test but the bottle looked mint no rust.

I took it for test and it failed. When i went to pick it up they said by law you cannot have it back.

They took the valve out to show me the inside of the bottle and it was rotten has a pear. Really heavily rusted inside.

I have no idea how moisture gets in the only thing i can think of is a poor filling compressor.

But that doesn`t make sense has the bottle was ex fire service and they fill there own bottles.

Has luck would have it the dive shop did me a very good deal on a second hand 12 lit 300 bar bottle tested for £50. Happy days.