• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest rimotu66

Done, 13,524 sigs up to now, thought it would be a lot more.

I wish we could still use on wildfowl, have hit ducks hard with steel and they just keep going, not right at all :no:

Edited by rimotu66

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Inland duck shooting and old guns are the problem areas. Also duck do end up in the food chain and if shooters are non compliant........ Have been on shoots where the captain comes round and hands out non-toxic before the duck drive. That is a common sense no-excuse approach. The shoregunning wildfowl boys are shooting on public land ( the foreshore) and have had all the correct non toxic gear for years now. Anyone can grab their downed quarry and run off and xray it. My 20 won't take steel and I therefore reload 4 bismuth for use on duck drives. Tagging all shot wildfowl especially those shot inland could be a good step forward to make it traceable. Lead compliance would immediately follow.

hi just read comments and regarding www i agree that lead in properly not the best shot to use but what options are there as old guns can not shoot steel. one comment states that this campaign to stop lead is being backed by backers with lots of money, well why dont the reseach other materials to use in shot and give law abiding shooters a choice instead of demanding a ban once agian. i for one would not be bothered shooting other materials as long as the balisitcs and end product didnt change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sadly, no it is`nt, and as a comment it displays the depth of ignorance that persisits around this issue.

BASC fought long and hard, staving off the inevitable for wildfowling for over twenty years.

Legislation is passed by the Government - and the Government ignored BASC and we ended up with the legislation that we now have.

Blaming BASC is the reaction of someone who really was not paying attention whilst this was going on.

BASC seems to have accepted the inevitability of a complete lead ban in 2004 in their employees speech to the international conference I posted a while ago. All this has however been done before. You pays your money and you makes your choice, as I have done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It would be fair to say that at this point in time we should be looking at a united front in respect of this potential ban, however , I believe it would also be wrong to ignore the fact that our Self Appointed Governing body BASC has been pretty much complicite in the fact that this potential ban has come as far as it has.

Over the last few years we have heard the statement No evidence No change being used by them on an almost daily basis and repeated following the recent John Swift debacle , however this feels more like a Flag of Convenience rather than anything of substance.

If we go back to 2007/8 the A.E.W.A. Produced a document under the heading ( Phasing out of the use of Lead shot for hunting in Wetlands ) , involved in the preparation and Drafting of this document was John Harradine ( BASC ) , the document was some 30 pages long , however page 15 / 16 contained the most eye opening elements .

Here is a shortened version : It is not enough to convince hunters about the necessity of moving away from lead shot, they need to learn how to use it . Training for this could be provided by the respective countries Hunting Organisations( BASC ). They should be encouraged to try lead substitutes on Clay Grounds prior to use in the field. A Ban on the use of Lead shot for Clay Pigeon Shooting could be a way of forcing hunters to gain experience with Non Toxic loads !.

Following this report I have neither seen nor heard of any out right condemnation of these statements by BASC , I could be cynical and say that the only element to benefit from a ban on lead would indeed be the Significant Training Dept operated by BASC , who would no doubt pick up on the Training Of Hunters !

It is therefore my belief that the Ban on Lead was and has been fairly readily accepted by the BASC with possibly an underlying interest .