lead shot campaign

chrispti

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am of the opinion , that our time with Lead be it pellets or Bullets is coming to an end, it is all too easy to apportion blame in these instances, but my feeling is that there has never been a vigorous defence by any of our shooting related organisations ,since these issues came to the fore , again it is my opinion that The BASC have been too wrapped up in there own Political manoeuvring to see the writing on the wall, The CA have carried no real weight on this issue and never been prepared to stick there Necks on the line, and the Gun Trade well either way they win.

The result Jo shooter & member of the above suffers by losing what is undoubtedly the most effective & therefore humane ammunition we currently have.

Disgruntled Yes , Resigned Yes, Suprised No

Guest stevo

I am of the opinion , that our time with Lead be it pellets or Bullets is coming to an end, it is all too easy to apportion blame in these instances, but my feeling is that there has never been a vigorous defence by any of our shooting related organisations ,since these issues came to the fore , again it is my opinion that The BASC have been too wrapped up in there own Political manoeuvring to see the writing on the wall, The CA have carried no real weight on this issue and never been prepared to stick there Necks on the line, and the Gun Trade well either way they win.

The result Jo shooter & member of the above suffers by losing what is undoubtedly the most effective & therefore humane ammunition we currently have.

Disgruntled Yes , Resigned Yes, Suprised No

lead bullets will not be affected ( for the foreseeable anyway } as the so called lead ban is only on about " shot " single projectile weapons ( bullets ) are nothing to with it .

The details in the title " Lead Ammunition Group " looking at how lead in ammunition effects the environment , animals & humans , if they decide lead is " Toxic " they will not separate out , it will be a Blanket affair, it will make .22 & .243 virtually redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the #### has hit the fan with resignations from the LAG, finally shooting interests are challenging the lack of the provision of credible scientific evidence from, conduct of and misinformation spewed out by the anti lead side in what looks increasingly like an organised attempt by them to pervert the conclusions of the LAG to suit their agenda of recommending a complete ban on the use of lead shot.

It appears they have finally been found out! I have long held the belief that their agenda is and always was anti shooting and their attack on lead shot was more to do with damaging shooting than concearn for animals and human health over lead in the environment.

Looks like the #### has hit the fan with resignations from the LAG, finally shooting interests are challenging the lack of the provision of credible scientific evidence from, conduct of and misinformation spewed out by the anti lead side in what looks increasingly like an organised attempt by them to pervert the conclusions of the LAG to suit their agenda of recommending a complete ban on the use of lead shot.

It appears they have finally been found out! I have long held the belief that their agenda is and always was anti shooting and their attack on lead shot was more to do with damaging shooting than concearn for animals and human health over lead in the environment.

Ditto, have always been of the same opinion. I don't care what anyones agenda is, all I ask is they conduct it with honesty; it would seem that in many cases that is too much to ask.

Of course it was/is.

As far as I'm aware this news has remained within the country sports domain - even the Western Morning News has not picked up on it. I fail to understand why our organisations have not taken this golden opportunity to publicise the whole sad, sorry state of affairs regarding the whole lead shot situation in view of the Norway findings/decision and the abysmal activities of the LAG in particular.

Edit: words muddled

Edited by wymberley

Guest stevo

As far as I'm aware this news has remained within the country sports domain - even the Western Morning News has not picked up on it. I fail to understand why our organisations have not taken this golden opportunity to publicise the whole sad, sorry state of affairs regarding the whole lead shot situation in view of the Norway findings/decision and the abysmal activities of the LAG in particular.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Totally agree. Unless this entire sorry affair is made public (full and in detail) via the national media then it has no impact whatsoever. No doubt in time the media will get wind of it via a source with its personal agenda to put forward, and then it will be a case of damage limitation......again.

Get it out in the open with honesty before the WWT or another gets in first and the Daily Mail leads with 'Shooting Organisations Reject Findings of Lead Advisory Group'. The general public needs to know the LAG is not fit for purpose, and why.

Edited: LAG, not LAD. :)

Edited by Scully

David,

Ah!

As it wasn't clear, I was going to ask if that was a nation-wide media press release. However, when I hit 'quote' in order to post, an entirely different link appeared which suggests that it might well have been. Is that the case?

Many thanks

If he has any sense at at all, he'll keep his head down. Possibly because of all the media post election hoo haa, this appears to be a media non event - even with the BASC press release it appears that no national media outlet has picked up on the recent events. Our problem is, it appears that Swift is still the chairman of the LAG and the findings from the Group still exist ready to be forwarded to Defra and the FSA. With a bit of luck and some common sense, not to mention the new government majority coupled with the Norway decision, it will be realised what an absolute fiasco this has turned out to be, any findings discredited and the whole matter binned at least for the time being.

I'm intrigued to know what Swift has to say about all this, if indeed he responds at all. Does anyone know if he intends to respond to the criticism?

Scully

I meet John Swift at the DI meeting last week. He asked me if I have put in the FOI for the emails, I replied NO. Not me. Then he asked me if I knew who did, my reply was that it had to be someone on the LAG as they know what to ask for.

There are in my opinion three candidates the WWT, CA or BASC. Ho you say why BASC, because they ran the secretariat for the LAG. The other two may not have seen the emails.

I then asked him about the Emails, I thanked him, as it helped my cause. He told me that the emails where taken out of context.

Edited by gunsmoke

• 2 weeks later...

Norway has repealed its lead shot ban, the EEC are not going to pursue any lead shot restrictions now Austria has decided not to implement any lead shot restrictions......why are shooters in the UK still facing a possible recommendation of further restrictions on lead shot via proposals from the discredited LAG when other countries see no reason to do so? what actions are our representative organisations taking in opposition to a lead shot ban in the UK? And what steps are they considering to overturn the lead shot ban shooters in the UK have been unfairly stuck with over the last few years?

It would be nice if they told us??????

Please lets not loose site of the fact that this thread is about compliance with the current laws, lets try to stick this thread on this important point. there are two threads running on LAG already, there is no need to convert this into a third one which will inevitably end up simply recycling the points raised on the other two!

But lets not forget that there are no proposals for further restrictions on parliaments agenda

The fact that some European governments are reversing their stance on lead restrictions is very good news indeed, and has been reported on our web site for the last few months, it adds strength to our position on the defense of lead shot

But this will come to naught if we cannot be seen to be complying with the present laws - simple, boring repetition, I know that's what I will be accused of, but its the truth.

As I have said before, any news on further developments on this front will be on our web site, hot off the press!

Why does not complying with current bad law automatically mean more bad law. I can see the point of enforcement but more of the same makes no sense.

It's just looking more and more like a smokescreen where you can blame shooters for the loss of lead shot, and yes I do stick to the law as it is today.