Recommend me a waterproof coat I can use when beating through woods

Flynn

After getting thoroughly soaked whilst beating several times during last years pheasant season, I decided to pick up a decent waterproof jacket rather than the ripstop combat jacket I normally wear.

I'd like something which is completely waterproof, high quality and importantly, won't rip or tear on the brambles and blackthorn I seem to find myself in a lot. Willing to pay up to around 200 quid for something decent, but I don't want to drop that sort of money and have something rip open at the first sight of a tree branch.

Barber waxed jacket perhaps? Any recommendations?

http://www.quillproductions.co.uk/Lavenir-Jacket.html

Had one of these for many years. Totally waterproof and good quality. Used it when beating and picking up and some marsh trips, you can get the waterproof trousers or stud on leggings too. I would get another one for sure if I needed it.

Excellent. Thanks very much. I'm off to the CLA next weekend so if I find nothing which screams "buy me", I'll order one of these. Considerably less than I thought I'd need to pay too, which is a bonus.

I'm going to have to be careful here, as if the boss sees me looking at coats and stuff, she'll insist on something for herself and that ends up getting expensive.... thanks for the heads up on Sherwood Forest - I'd never heard of them and they look canny.

The main disadvantage with Rivers of Sweat stuff is that, although it`s very tough it is`nt actually sold as being "breathable", only waterproof. Condensation is a real problem with their products during the sort of constant exersion experienced when beating.

I too would go with Deerhunter but get one of the plain brown jackets, which have quite a tough exterior fabric, rather than one of the camo ones which doesn`t.

Least expensive of all would be ex military Gore Tex which, as it`s previous owner would suggest, is both tough, breathable and waterproof.

Hope your final choice works for you.

Edit. i`ve just clicked on the Lavenir link above. I`d completely forgotten about them! I used to have one of their jackets and it was superb value for money. I`ve still got a pair of their overtrousers which are 15 years old and still going strong despite some heavy use.

Edited by mudpatten

Thanks for the info chaps.

I've got my eye on the Lavenir stuff as I can't find anyone who dismisses it. Credit card is due for a hammering at the CLA if I can find the right gear in the right sizes.

i used to just use a cheap wax jacket and wax waterproof leggings! and always worked fine hard wearing and warm your legs got a bit sweaty but thats all part of the fun :good: it all depends if the shoot you go on has a dress code for the beaters? id never buy anything expensive as it tends to get ripped to shreads (im only 5ft 8 so the smallest of the beating team and got sent in to all the hedges and bramble patches!) but if you are going down the route of dearhunter i can vouch there very hard wearing! and warm! best value for money for slightly smarter gear!

Nah - it's very informal. Anything goes. Saying that, I'm not averse to spending a bit more for nice looking gear, or more sturdy kit. I've got a shortlist now due to all of your advice, so if I buy something shíte, I've only got myself to blame!

I have used a coat similar to this for 10 + years paid 50 quid for mine, just cant kill it, been through thorns, brambles you name it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mens-Woodgreen-Derby-Tweed-Shooting-Jacket-Coat-Sizes-XS-2XL-/251181019888?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item3a7b8e32f0#ht_4839wt_1346

Regards

Hcc

I'm going to have to be careful here, as if the boss sees me looking at coats and stuff, she'll insist on something for herself and that ends up getting expensive.... thanks for the heads up on Sherwood Forest - I'd never heard of them and they look canny.

I bought a Sherwood 2 years ago at a game fair £70 best coat iv,e ever bought :good: