yukon photon

telf

it will be purely down to what is visible but realistically bunnies to that range and foxes to 100 plus make it quite an interesting bit of kit at the price.

i think with a good ir illuminator you would be able to extend those ranges,we will see at the weekend with dave gs modified 501

sure beats looking at a tv screen mounted off the rifle which is the alternative at the moment

Hmm, well, my current solution is now through a viewfinder, pretty much what you get on the NS550. Same performance as before (if you've seen that video). I'm using the X-Searcher to illuminate, I find it gives a tighter, cleaner beam at the sacrifice of a slightly larger head.

Clearly not an off-the-shelf solution, but shows it can be done.

Edited by mick miller

well got out last night after sorting my problems with the torch mount,got there just before it was starting to get dark,a few rabbits knocking about,looked through the photon they appear black on a white background in daylight could have shot them but i thought i would just leave them and let everything settle down for when it got dark.

when it was dark got the gun out,took the daylight shooting cap off,which is just a push on rubber cap with a small hole in(about 8mm i think) with some sort of filter in it,if i were to use the gun in the daytime i think i would have to find some way of keeping the cap tied to the photon as if it comes off and you loose it your snookered for daytime shooting and i dont know if spares are readily available,plus you dont have any protection for the lense

anyway after taking the cap off and looking through the photon,turned the ir torch on and could easily see rabbits hopping about at the top of the field which was 150yds from where i was standing,went into the next field,eyes lighting up everywhere,picking eyeshine up to 180-190 yds away

the ir torch which is dave gs modified 501 is great with this set up,much better than the ir unit on the photon which is still useable but more grainy than daves which is a clear bright image,anyway stayed out for 3 hours and the batteries are still fine in the photon as i havent charged them from the other week when i was out for 3 hours,so quite impressed with battery life

went away with 12 bunnies all head shot at 70-80 yds,lost another three i couldnt find for love nor money

the photon is a great unit that i cant speak highly enough of and coupled with a good ir unit like daves or another modified torch or possibly the nm800 that has no heavy batteries to lug around and no wires is most definately the way forward for anybody shooting bunnies,fox out to 150yds,if you can get your hands on one,buy it, i dont think anybody would be dissapointed with this set up

atb dave

I just knew you'd like it Dave.

Good review and feedback there, and I'm pleased the 501B IR module did the business for you too. Couple of Q's if I may please:

Did you feel it was possibly a bit too much IR at times?

I ask that as someone else tried a 1 Watt Ebay module with theirs and it was perfect - but that was for air ranges.

If it is, I can de-focus it a little more by increasing the swage at the front of it for you, the beam would look less square.

Did you get any feelings like someone had poked you in the eye?

Other Yukon/Pulsar NVD's with a near eye display like that has are quite painful for my eyes - which are a bit photosensitive apparently.

i thought the ir was ok,but i will give it another look tonight,weather permiting,i may try altering the locking ring in and out to change the focus just to see what its like,if you were to put a 1 watt module in would that not give you less distance to pick eye shine up when scanning the field.

the only trouble i had with my eyes was keeping them open on the way home but will see how i get on tonight(hopefully) but all in all dave, you have made a cracking little torch into an an amazing little torch,well done sir and i take my hat off to you,many thanks for all your help and patience

atb dave

Edited by telf

• 3 weeks later...

Yukon doubler fits but you have to make an adaptor have a look on u tube look up photon ratting footage its got before mods and after,I use another forum dedicated to nv and for the money they seem a good buy as with all digital if using as a spotter on yer rifle if your like me you wont be able to see jack lol my bresser spotter was the same I put a negative from camera pictures inbetween viewer dispay and eye piece lens that sorted it

• 1 year later...

I haven't long had my photon XT I HAVE PUT A t20 torch on it was brill but found mag wasent very high so I looked at buying a doubler but they are 100 quid sod that I come up with a cheap mod costs about 15qiud and its brill now I have 6.7 times mag for 15 quid lol

What modification did you add that cost you £15.00?

I haven't long had my photon XT I HAVE PUT A t20 torch on it was brill but found mag wasent very high so I looked at buying a doubler but they are 100 quid sod that I come up with a cheap mod costs about 15qiud and its brill now I have 6.7 times mag for 15 quid lol

Did you put a 52mm telephoto lens and conversion tube your t20 to achieve that ? :)

I bought a photon mk1 5x42 with a doubler. It came with two lens caps one had a 25mm hole in it I purchased a 25mm 850 diffuser and glided it into the lens cap added a T50 on top and can see clear out past the end of chicken shed wich is 200yrds long and spot eyeshine out past 300 yrds. I have mounted the T50 with a scope picitinny mount so it's on top of the scope not on the side which with an adjustable mount helps you adjust the T50 to where you need it.

Not missed a fox yet mounted on my 223

I shoot rabbits out to hundred yards with photon on 22lr also got new xt on my 223 shot fox the other night at hundred fifty plus first one seen since put it on rifle.had rabbits with 223 at same distance have to make sure on rabbits at that range as vision is not to clear but brilliant on fox should be able to take them past two hundred yards. Have spotted my own dogs out three hundred with no problems.

sorry I dident see your message to start with I brought a T20 ir torch whitch made a great improvement then I set about the mag I brought 2 parts one is a stepdown ring and the othere is a vivatar magic lenses I will post a link to them both

http://www.ebay.co.u...a-/390493612199

http://www.bristolca...ing-48-46mm.htm

then just take of your cover on front of photon and unscrew the outer ring with small screwdriver then screw step down ring on then screw lense on job done lol

my T20 was standard but I have been playing with a Yukon mono lense 2x on it its even better for range the best range I had is with a 5x bresser lense on it but makes the lighted area a bit small but can see one end of perm to the othere lol

best about the magic lense you get 2 screw on covers that you can drill a small hole in and wont lose them as they screw on