Tips for a new beginner please

rapid basher

Evening all

I have 600 acers of on twe farms of dredge land ( small canels aboat 4/6 ft working as hedges)

The farmers has told me there are plenty of ducks to shoot there

But iv never done any of this type of shooting before

Just wondering what would be the best metherds

Would it be possible to decoy sit and wait or just waik up, best times, etc ,

I allso have about 400yrds of a stretch on a river

Thanks in advance rb

If anybody is in the taunton area there more than wellcome to come with me

To showme the ropes so to speak

Edited by rapid basher

I was in the same predicament as you last year with a patch . spent a lot of time walking along the banks with some good results but with all the bad weather we had it seemed to spread the ducks everywhere on different splashes of water.Also had some good results waiting for the ducks to come in at dusk but that was on the levels and there were ducks everywhere.look forward to next month

I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers to help but If you don't I'm only 40 odd miles away and could have a look for you. Wouldn't be for a couple of weeks though.

First thing to do is get yourself out there on a few evenings at dusk and see what's coming in and where it's coming in.

I would be out there watching at dawn and dusk to see where the ducks are flighting, then set up some decoys on water under a flightline. Early in the season it will be mainly Mallard but later you may find that there are teal and possibly wigeon visiting the sheltered water. If you could find an area the ducks seem to like and then start feeding with barley/wheat then that could give some good shooting, but don't over shoot the fed area, every 2/3 weeks is good.

I am in Gloucester and if we could sort a good time for both of us wouldn't mind meeting up and having a look with you, could bring all the decoys and show you how to set them up on the shallower water and the main river its self. If you fancy having a go at wildfowling on the Severn estuary could even sort out a return visit sometime.

Hi mate sounds daft but you just goto get down there and monitor the tides and where the ducks and geese are feeding,

I Would advise on going down at high tide roughly about 3 houres before it due to go out as the tide will push the duck up in the the channels further if not on the fret edge of the river allowing you to get a better shot and if you not got a dog last thing you want is for a bird to fall in open water. as you be swimming for it lol.

But if you take 2 or 3 decoys with you and no dout after the first shot the ducks take off gte your decoys out just on the edge of the channel an if you have a call start quacking and they will fly back in might take 5 10 mins but they circle arround allowing you to get a few more shots off, but if your not comfertable taking a shot better to leave it and let the bird land as that one bird will attract others in.

just a few tips mate any other probs or question feel free to ask :)

if I were you I wouldn't be so quick to invite people next thing you know they be trying to take it off you...make sure you talk to farmer and tell him you might be letting someone on to show you whats what...tell him they wont be on unless you are there,that way anyone going on with out you and farmer knowing is in serious bother..it happenend to me years ago farmer asked me who was shooting already coz I had just turned up and low and behold someone I invited had helped himself!...that person don't shoot no more as he was arrested for trespass and later lost his licence..stupid man! anyway just be wary who you know & don't know...shooting is to hard to get keep tight a hold of it fella...good luck sounds like a good number you have there :good:

Edited by Robbie Forster

Ducks will not normally move out to stubble until after 5.30pm on the first and after a days shooting they then delay until after 6, getting later all the time.

Also some places are better in the morning and others evening and some are better earlier in the year and some are better later in the year.

Just don't give up on it until you have spent plenty of time and at least a full year checking it out.

Definitely worth befriending someone with some experience if you want to learn a bit quicker.

Good luck and have fun.