best chest waders for a salad dodger?

kiffy

evening folks, im about to start fowling and my mate who has shot the same place for a few years said i need chest waders...

im having a nose around now but as a salad dodger i want some that will fit around my pie eaters belly so thought id ask your guys advice.. well apart from the top advice or a salad or three :lol:

as a virgin fowler who doesnt know how oftwen he'll do it i dont want to spend any more than i have to and ive been told ill sweat like a glass blowers backside if i buy neoprene so would like to avoid those if poss

Edited by kiffy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

evening folks, im about to start fowling and my mate who has shot the same place for a few years said i need chest waders...

im having a nose around now but as a salad dodger i want some that will fit around my pie eaters belly so thought id ask your guys advice.. well apart from the top advice or a salad or three :lol:

as a virgin fowler who doesnt know how oftwen he'll do it i dont want to spend any more than i have to and ive been told ill sweat like a glass blowers backside if i buy neoprene so would like to avoid those if poss

I'm not of the larger persuasion myself but can confirm after many many cheap pairs of waders that they do not last if a season fishing waders aren't built for the rigours of wildfowling, I got mine from cabelas in the USA proper designed for shooting fantastic bits of kit nothing has come close to these ones in this country that I've seen but there not that cheap which is the down side.....

I would say your best bet in the UK would to be look here http://www.johnforsey.co.uk/wildfowling_waders.html

http://www.fishingwaders.co.uk/Madetomeasure.htm

Edited by tigger

Why don't you order online from the US?

The waders from Cabelas and Drake waterfowl far exceed the quality of anything you will find for sale here in the uk and they make them in dedicated sizes for the discerning larger gentleman which trust me is far better than ordering waders that have a large waste / chest but are far too long for a short **** like myself.

so can i ask those of you who use neoprene... do you find them overly hot? i feel the heat and dont wnat to suffer if their that hot

I feel the heat also and in the cheaper waders I sweated like a right beast but with these cabelas ones I seem to stay more comfortable, with cheap waders i sweated like mad then when you get in position the sweat makes you cold, I normally put my jacket in the rucksack walk out to my chosen spot in a jumper or sometimes even a tshirt then when I'm in my spot ill put my jacket on, this usually keeps me cool and I don't overheat I sometimes have a mile to a mile and a half walk to certain spots on the foreshore so know what it's like to walk in the bloody things, if I can get away with thigh boots I will, but in chest waders you can sit where you want without getting a wet *** which is one advantage of them....

These are the ones I have http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Hunting-Waders%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103895280/Cabelas-SuperMag8482-1600-Chest-Waders-150-Regular/749461.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F_%2FN-1101198%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat103895280

These are also great for wearing under your waders they stop your trousers riding up when walking

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Waders/Mens-Wader-Liner-Pants%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104674680/i/103933980/Cabelas-Fleece-Wader-Pants/1571795.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-wader-liner-pants%2F_%2FN-1101200%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103933980%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat103933980

Edited by tigger

Don't buy expensive ones as the bl00dy rubber tends to go at the seems after 2 seasons.

Might as well just get £50 green fishing neoprenes chesties so at least it's only £25 a season. Really depressing to have 2 sets of chest waders perfectly ok neoprene only to have leaks in the feet. We have tried so many things to patch them but nothing seems to stick for longer than 1 flight :no:

Don't buy expensive ones as the bl00dy rubber tends to go at the seems after 2 seasons.

Might as well just get £50 green fishing neoprenes chesties so at least it's only £25 a season. Really depressing to have 2 sets of chest waders perfectly ok neoprene only to have leaks in the feet. We have tried so many things to patch them but nothing seems to stick for longer than 1 flight :no:

I have had my cabelas for 4 seasons now and there isn't so much as a scuff on them. They get properly hammered on the foreshore as well.

If you clean them after each session, hang them to dry and keep them out of direct sunlight they will be fine. Also add some reproofing spray before and at the end of the season and they will last years. Look after your kit and it will look after you.

I have had my cabelas for 4 seasons now and there isn't so much as a scuff on them. They get properly hammered on the foreshore as well.

If you clean them after each session, hang them to dry and keep them out of direct sunlight they will be fine. Also add some reproofing spray before and at the end of the season and they will last years. Look after your kit and it will look after you.

Agreed as I said earlier nothing comes close to the cabelas ones

You obviously have only tried cheap ones not designed for wildfowling probably only designed for fishing that's your problem....

You obviously have only tried cheap ones not designed for wildfowling probably only designed for fishing that's your problem....

Thats exactly what i was thinking, i had a set of pro logic breathables and they fell apart in all of 4 trips. They couldn't take the grit of the mud and pulling at the seems. The cabelas ones however are awesome, neoprene shoulder straps, internal waterproof pockets, reinforced knee's and **** patches and thermally insulated boots. Definitely the best thing i have bought for wildfowling!

Thats exactly what i was thinking, i had a set of pro logic breathables and they fell apart in all of 4 trips. They couldn't take the grit of the mud and pulling at the seems. The cabelas ones however are awesome, neoprene shoulder straps, internal waterproof pockets, reinforced knee's and **** patches and thermally insulated boots. Definitely the best thing i have bought for wildfowling!

Amen to that buy the right kit designed for purpose end of......

I've got a pair of Ron Thompson pvc chest waders from Go Outdoors on second season and still great for early season when warm.

For £24.00 at the time cracking value. Try some on for size.

I'm a big lad and these fit but boots are too tight for cold weather.

Got a pair of Cabelas ultimate big man waders this year big enough for two pie eaters, bring on the hard frosty weather.

Figgy

Diawa,kowala,bisom,ron thompson and legeda are all poor. If the seams dont go the wellies go. Mastic,silicone,neoprene queen and the repair kits dont work. The best stuff I found was panel bond for cars. Next set will be cabbelas. Im carefull with my money but buy right buy once it is for me in the future. Good luck in the quest for the right waders,all the ones I have have are lucky to last one season and thats after numerous repairs.

Diawa,kowala,bisom,ron thompson and legeda are all poor. If the seams dont go the wellies go. Mastic,silicone,neoprene queen and the repair kits dont work. The best stuff I found was panel bond for cars. Next set will be cabbelas. Im carefull with my money but buy right buy once it is for me in the future. Good luck in the quest for the right waders,all the ones I have have are lucky to last one season and thats after numerous repairs.

Vass make some really tough waders even fowlers would find hard to ruin, a lad I know uses them for crawling over barnacles to get crabs for fishing. If they were bigger in the calf, dont fit 20" calves i would have bought them.

Figgy

Firstly Aquasure is what you want for repairs not something you have knocking about in the shed (store it in the freezer and it lasts years). If you feel the heat and are big around the waist then go with thigh waders and good waterproof trousers, I use some cheap thigh waders till it gets real cold then switch to my big stetchy neoprene Cabelas. Cheap neoprene either don't stretch or only stretches one way, quality stuff stretches all ways a lot, this eases strain on the seams the main source of annoying leaks.

Quality aggressive rubber lug souls are the difficulty in the UK as most are made for fishing (felt is totally deadly on mud or wet grass). Shooting waders also place the shoulder strap buckle in places other than were you mount the gun.

I don't feel breathables are really up to the job on most marshes and to be fair if your a big guy that sweats (rather than a skinny one that just walks a lot) you are still likely to melt until it gets so cold you need neoprene.

Sorry Tigger and Mr Sheen but you obviously mis-understood my comment, it's not about the neoprene. I don't think the Max 4 waders are cheap either? The neoprene is fine and I have no issues with leaks through that. The waders are hung up in the garage after use, in the dry and out of sunlight. The issue is the rubber and the rubber seams on the boots have gone in two different places on 2 separate pairs.

I thought these waders were about the best available and at over £100 a pair I was suggesting you might as well have cheaper waders and replace them more often due to the cash saving. It seems to me that you are not paying the extra money for the extra warmth but for the camo and Max 4/cabela name.

Yours well may last you longer than mine as I probably go out more than you or may be you are not out on the coast and it is the salt water having an effect on mine. I'm not saying find the cheapest you can, I am just saying you can pay £50 for a really decent pair of neoprene ones without all the camouflage. It has not been the neoprene that has failed on the max 4 but the rubber on the boots that has gone.

Thanks for the tip Kent, I will source some and give it a try as long as it works on rubber, not neoprene.

Aqua sure is great on rubber waders. many years ago I had a weeks fishing on the Wye and punctured some rubber coated cloth backed chest waders virtually every day, by the end of the week they were more Aqua sure than wader.

It's self levelling so the wader need to lay flat and takes an overnight dry to cure properly.

Any good tackle shop should sell it.

Sorry Tigger and Mr Sheen but you obviously mis-understood my comment, it's not about the neoprene. I don't think the Max 4 waders are cheap either? The neoprene is fine and I have no issues with leaks through that. The waders are hung up in the garage after use, in the dry and out of sunlight. The issue is the rubber and the rubber seams on the boots have gone in two different places on 2 separate pairs.

I thought these waders were about the best available and at over £100 a pair I was suggesting you might as well have cheaper waders and replace them more often due to the cash saving. It seems to me that you are not paying the extra money for the extra warmth but for the camo and Max 4/cabela name.

Yours well may last you longer than mine as I probably go out more than you or may be you are not out on the coast and it is the salt water having an effect on mine. I'm not saying find the cheapest you can, I am just saying you can pay £50 for a really decent pair of neoprene ones without all the camouflage. It has not been the neoprene that has failed on the max 4 but the rubber on the boots that has gone.

Thanks for the tip Kent, I will source some and give it a try as long as it works on rubber, not neoprene.

Edited by Penelope

We will have to agree to disagree buddy I only go wildfowling on the foreshore and try to go 2-3 times a week minimum if I can, and have long hard walks, I'm going to try and get 4 seasons minimum out of them if I can fingers crossed....

thanks for the input guys, obviously from nosing on the net i could see a vast range in materials and price but didnt realise there was that much quality difference

around the time i started this thread i emailed a few ebay sellers and a couple reccomended i try the prologic max-4 as they should fit me.. price seemed ok and i can return if they dont fit so i might try them.. i know cabelas may be better and my brothers in the states every couple of months so if i enjoy fowling i may invest in a pair next year and he can bring them home for me... really dont want to this year as i may not like it and my weights changing at the moment as im dieting..

Edited by kiffy

We will have to agree to disagree buddy I only go wildfowling on the foreshore and try to go 2-3 times a week minimum if I can, and have long hard walks, I'm going to try and get 4 seasons minimum out of them if I can fingers crossed....

Agree with you again Tigger, The last 4 seasons i have shot a minimum of twice a week as i live minutes from the foreshore, and considering i shoot one of the bigger, more physically demanding marshes i doubt that there are many people that could put them through worse than i already have. 4 seasons old and still like brand new, i can't ask for more than that!

Firstly Aquasure is what you want for repairs not something you have knocking about in the shed (store it in the freezer and it lasts years). If you feel the heat and are big around the waist then go with thigh waders and good waterproof trousers, I use some cheap thigh waders till it gets real cold then switch to my big stetchy neoprene Cabelas. Cheap neoprene either don't stretch or only stretches one way, quality stuff stretches all ways a lot, this eases strain on the seams the main source of annoying leaks.

Quality aggressive rubber lug souls are the difficulty in the UK as most are made for fishing (felt is totally deadly on mud or wet grass). Shooting waders also place the shoulder strap buckle in places other than were you mount the gun.

I don't feel breathables are really up to the job on most marshes and to be fair if your a big guy that sweats (rather than a skinny one that just walks a lot) you are still likely to melt until it gets so cold you need neoprene.

I do walk alot and that pannel bond is spot on. Its not my fault I have the build of a long distance runner.