The New Arrival

handlebar

• 4 weeks later...

Thought an update was called for - Watson is now half way through his Gun Dog training and 7 months he's a good 5 months the youngest in his class but he's holding his own and learning lots - he has a few 'teenage' moments where he doesn't want to listen but his boundless energy is great. Walking the local moors the weekend before last he flushed his first pheasant, his expression was 'what the fudge was that!' so fingers crossed he'll be ready for next season. His initial apprehension with water seems to be a distant memory and now he makes a bee line for every puddle or source of water, this last weekend he decided to jump in the local river to chase a stick (how proud I was!) Anyways here's a few pictures of him with his Dummy.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

and a MASIVE THANK YOU to BakerBoy (AKA Dad) who's helping with his training - you can borrow him anytime you want

Two Firsts for Watson this week

• ONE flushing two partridge during our walk through the woods (and looking slightly less surprised then the other week when he flushed a pheasant
  • TWO After now realising he's a spaniel and a labrador it is difficult to keep him away from water but as the weather was so nice I let him explore the local river (the River Flit) and he managed a total submersion and looked quite surprised by it.

Anyways here's a pic of him looking attentive in our woodland walk yesterday

IMG_2074.jpg

Watson was in my garden yesterday, lovely looking dog.

He runs around like a lamb gambolling, and when my wife came out to the garden having washed her hair and with a turban on, it really took Watsons eye.

Having jumped up to catch the elusive turban my wife discovered what a solid dog he is. :lol: :lol:

The training is working well land ong may it continue, I think both Watson and handlebar are out with me next week, weather and pigeons providing.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on Watson - I won't pass them on to him as he already has a big enough head! But I thought I'd put some pictures up of his GunDog Training he's been doing

20140222-DSC_7051.jpg

20140222-DSC_6959.jpg

20140222-DSC_6956.jpg

20140222-DSC_6937.jpg

20140222-DSC_6908.jpg

20140222-DSC_7054.jpg

DSC_7713-1.jpeg

Edited by handlebar

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd post another pic of the little fella coming on a treat now - he's hit 10 months old and with hormones racing is forgetting himself on occasions but a cracking dog - this is a pic of him after he had just been for a swim in the River Flit on one of our walks

Watson.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well I haven't posted any pics of Watson for a while so I thought I'd stick a couple more on before he has his first birthday next week - the training is going well and he's really responding to the whistle. These pics were taken on his favourite walk down Flitwick moors where he loves a good root through the undergrowth and jumping in the River Flit

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

Cracking looking dog.

Reminds me of the lab/springer cross I had when the kids were little. He was chocolate too. Didn't shoot then, but Sam was a cracker at obedience trials and a brilliant home dog with the kids. Would retrieve anything including half tree truncks and used to dive in the local river to fetch boulders off the bottom.

• 4 months later...

Ok so today marked a great occasion - it was was Watson's first day in the field (thanks to Catamong for letting me come along beating today) after a tentative start getting a little excited by the other dogs he really improved as the morning went on and really got the hang of things, whilst not actually managing any retrieves he did sniff out a partridge and stood guard till I got there, looking forward to the next time we're out.

But here's some recent pics including one from this morning

10848054_10152998166205039_4623498539729

IMG_3047.jpg