Removing shotgun shell brass from plastic

But its not brass !!!

Nope, you're dead right but scrap brass recovery likely wouldn't be the reason for wanting to separate the plastic shell and the "brass" in the first place. Even it was brass you'd not make a profit given the time it would take to remove each one, knock out primer etc being plated steel you'd be on to an even bigger loss.

Edited by paul99

or use a proper hole punch of the right diameter and it is a doddle to do the calls ,gas ring and a towel if you turn the cart as you go i find that when you see the cart at the base of the brass just bulge out right on the edge of the brass this is the correct time to twist. also if you heat up too much the glue melts too much and leaves a mess let it cool down then flick off ,atb wayne

Gordon Recoil shells will come apart just the same as any other shell you just need to heat them up that little bit more - gas hob worked for me:

gordon2_zps04828ad7.jpg

gordon1_zpsa999d442.jpg

I did these a couple of years ago but never did get around to using them for anything useful.

I have dont this too! I thought they may be of some use for ferrules in stick making!

The hard bit is yet to come fitting the two ends together (use a tapered hardwood dowel to slightly flare one of them).

I have made fox callers by removing the primers from both carts, then brass from one cart! Cutting down another leaving 8mm of the plastic and sliding the brass over the plastic until the two brass meet. They work a treat!.