dont be taken for granted

ROBLATCH

Sorry to hear you copped some flack Rob! Also I think it's a tad rough to take the offer of help "especially the FAC help" and not so much as a by your leave!

I said it back then! And I will say it again. Thank you for the day you allowed me to join you pigeon shooting! It's people like You and Hawkeye and some others on here, that have helped me get a few days out! I really appreciated it and thank them all.

Some people should be very greatfull for the help they receive!

Sorry to hear you copped some flack Rob! Also I think it's a tad rough to take the offer of help "especially the FAC help" and not so much as a by your leave!

I said it back then! And I will say it again. Thank you for the day you allowed me to join you pigeon shooting! It's people like You and Hawkeye and some others on here, that have helped me get a few days out! I really appreciated it and thank them all.

Some people should be very greatfull for the help they receive!

no doubt i will be in contact again soon ! it was a pleasure having you and the other guys there

p.s

along with those i have helped to gain their fac and not heard a thing from them since :no::no::no: i can honestly say i wont do it again

( although i can say that i have had one keep in touch and help me in various ways scott MAD1 ) doesnt have a lot of permission and i am more than happy to help as he did me.

You won't go far wrong with Scott, and it won't belong before young Connor will be just behind him

Very sad read, some of which seemed to make me feel angry just reading. I have no problems with anybody coming out for a shoot with me, just with my permission was more fruitful! And one day if I get more land to shoot I'll take more and more out but the day I get burnt like the others here I don't know how I would react, I'd be very gutted.

Me and my shooting buddy share my main perm and we always let each other know when we go out so that we can meet up and go together but alas as he is a policeman his shifts are different to a office bod like me so often we go solo. But we still have the decency to let each other know when we are down there,

Very sad read, some of which seemed to make me feel angry just reading. I have no problems with anybody coming out for a shoot with me, just with my permission was more fruitful! And one day if I get more land to shoot I'll take more and more out but the day I get burnt like the others here I don't know how I would react, I'd be very gutted.

Me and my shooting buddy share my main perm and we always let each other know when we go out so that we can meet up and go together but alas as he is a policeman his shifts are different to a office bod like me so often we go solo. But we still have the decency to let each other know when we are down there,

yeah me and scott ( mad1 ) are the same ive helped him with permission and he,s one of those guys who shows appreciation by returning favours.

its those guys that make the sport to be a pleasure to be involved in

Its astonishing what people think they can get away with you would hope they are very much in the minority, I have had the good fortune to be invited out on to PW members permissions in recent times and have had an excellent time, if at some point in the future i am lucky enough to get my own i will extend the offer to others.

• 1 month later...

I shoot on my own now mate Much easier there's always someone ready to stab you in the back I had a mate go to my plot of land where I shoot lucky he didn't have the key to the gate and the land owner rang me and ask if I sent him up he was then told never to come back I'm lucky the land owners a really good pal of mine

• 3 months later...

I think its bang out of order, if someone offers for you to go out with them thats what your doing goin out with them! To say to the land owner just ring me etc is stealing in my eyes id not be happy, and to get fac for people wow fair play to you not many would offer that!

Dont let a select few ruin your faith in the sport or fellow shooters. You get snakes in all forms of live i feel as a shooter we should all stick together to protect the sport and antis

Been shooting for a few years now made lots of contacts some good some bad I have got a few driven days this up coming season but after that think I will knock shooting on the head as I can honestly say it can be a pain in **** with all the politics involved. I know with most hobbies and sports there are always some people who are a pain in the **** but with shooting plenty of people will shaft you sorry I got into it to be honest it just seems a case of everybody using everyone might just stick to clays or get back into my other hobbies that cause me know hassle fishing etc it's not the shooting that's the hassle it's a lot of the people involved! Get your own permission with a close friend and do your own thing no hassle then!

• 3 months later...

well they,ve been at it again,, over the past few weeks ive been strolling my permission and noticing less and less despite the land not being shot over (200+acres),, well again i rang the farmer and low behold tells me that a few have contacted him saying i gave permission ( its not my land to do that ) and along the lines of is it ok if i go and shoot with Robert (myself) well i assured the farmer that none of this is true as i notify him when and who im shooting with it has now got to the point that things can be spoiled as he tells me regardless who calls him the answer is NO i must admit i did panick a little as ive been on the said land for 20+ years,however i was releived when he explained that he was refering to anyone and everyone who have mentioned my name and he has also made he;s son and workers aware of it aswell ,, i cannot understand why folk would just try it on sureley they must realise that they will be caught out,,also on the plus side the neighbouring farm i shoot has said the same and is the eye in the sky he tells me its armed tresspass and anyone seen there will be reported, which i thought was very good of him,, hopefully all will be well for the future and names will start flying.

It is amazing how much cheek some people have.

I have been shooting with a mate for about 5 years that I met through PW; turned out he lives just down the road from me. I don't have permission of my own (despite knocking on the doors), so really happy to go along on his when invited. He was good enough to ask one farmer if it was okay for me to go to one farm on my own (which farmer said yes to).

In my wildest dreams I wouldn't think of going behind someone's back to steal anyone else's permission. It can backfire on you AND your mate.

I have moved around quite a bit with work and before moving, always took others out on my permissions to gauge peoples integrity. When I was sure someone was trustworthy, I would let the farmer know that I was moving away and recommend the one person that I felt would not let him down.

You have to wonder about the integrity of these people and their suitability to have a licence!

I have just posted a similar sort of thing in general shooting maters it makes me mad beyond believe I have now got one lad I can trust with shooting he is a real gent and has got 10x the amount of perms than me and I no where they are and he has said if I ever want to go then that's fine but that's not they way I work and have never done it yet I enjoy it when we go together and we are trying to set up our own mini shoot for next season. That's trust it's old school values and common decency.

The sad reality is that in life there are some people with no conscience whatsoever. My advice would be to take a little more time to get to know people first and then avoid people who are just out for themselves like the plague,life is just to short. There are loads of good people about the trouble is you always seem to remember the bad ones

Unfortunately a ******* is a ******* in any walk of life. It seems a real shame that people are prepared to abuse trust and help so freely.

I was lucky enough to be invited Sika stalking in Dorset a few years ago by a contact I had met through work..I leapt at the chance and have been back a number of times. I have also been down to help with some fox shooting with my NV kit as a "thank you". I have also invited him up to shoot with me in Mid Wales but with a few thousand acres in Dorset and the South West not really that appealing to him. Had he not offered I would not have got the chance to go deer stalking.

It is shame that people lack morals and decency and make people wary to offer help and advice. I will try and help people out but am always a little wary unless I know them personally. If I approach a land owner and somebody already shoots there then I will not pursue the matter further.

I am still very impressed by the kind offers made by PW members and long may this continue.

• 2 weeks later...

It annoys me reading stuff like this I'm a newbie to shooting and all i seem to read is posts like this, I just think there's no point asking anyone for help cos they will automatically think you will stab them in the back ,it's like everything else in the life the usual few ******* spoiling it for everyone else I just don't get why the hell you would do the dirty on someone that's trying to help you out

This reminds me of an incident a few years back.

There was a lot of pigeons hitting a rather large field of spring rape, the farmer had phoned me up and naturally I responded, and had a couple of excellent big number days, but work then got in the way, and the farmer said, did I know anybody that could come and have a go because I became unavailable for a few days. I had a think and said "yes I know someone" so I asked this person , that I thought was a friend, and he went and had a great day shooting pigeon.

The next time I saw the farmer, he asked me "Was that chap a friend of yours ?" Of course I replied "Yes he is."

To which he then replied " Well he's not as much of a friend as you think he is." He said to the farmer, " Don't bother ringing Steve in future, just ring me direct." At this point the farmer decided that he wasn't to be trusted and told him that he wouldn't be ringing him.

Needless to say ,that man has never been there again.

I don't think he realised that the farmer and the Landowner are my friends, not just someone that I shoot for.

But I was sadly shocked when the farmer told me what the other so called friend of mine had said.

Been There Done it, exactly the same mate.

I had it years ago with an older fella who got in the local. Got to know him quite well, his permission was 2hrs away in yorkshire & he struggled getting there regular. He struggled with his mobility due to arthritis in his knees. I then had a 4500acre estate I could pretty much do as I pleased on, had worked hard to gain/keep it helping on the estate. I took the old fella pigeon shooting a few times then spoke to one of the farmers on the estate that he'd been back asking for permission. I never said a word to him but never took him again, farmer knew the score.

We have taken over a small DIY shoot in a good location. We needed a few guns but wanted only lads we knew or could be vouched for & who were safe. We struggled finding people as I refuse to advertise inviting strangers. We managed to get 2 lads into the sport & are currently helping them learn about safety etc & its their first day shooting game tomorrow so hoping they have a safe/enjoyable introduction.

I understand its difficult finding land to shoot over but my pet hate is lads begging on shooting sites. Why the hell would anyone give away permission to complete strangers? I've advertised on farming sites before, rural shop windows & offered work in return for sport. Mostly without success but always worth a try....

I had it years ago with an older fella who got in the local. Got to know him quite well, his permission was 2hrs away in yorkshire & he struggled getting there regular. He struggled with his mobility due to arthritis in his knees. I then had a 4500acre estate I could pretty much do as I pleased on, had worked hard to gain/keep it helping on the estate. I took the old fella pigeon shooting a few times then spoke to one of the farmers on the estate that he'd been back asking for permission. I never said a word to him but never took him again, farmer knew the score.

We have taken over a small DIY shoot in a good location. We needed a few guns but wanted only lads we knew or could be vouched for & who were safe. We struggled finding people as I refuse to advertise inviting strangers. We managed to get 2 lads into the sport & are currently helping them learn about safety etc & its their first day shooting game tomorrow so hoping they have a safe/enjoyable introduction.

I understand its difficult finding land to shoot over but my pet hate is lads begging on shooting sites. Why the hell would anyone give away permission to complete strangers? I've advertised on farming sites before, rural shop windows & offered work in return for sport. Mostly without success but always worth a try....

i think the trouble is !! who can you trust today ? imo the answer to that is very few and far between ive learnt at a cost will i repeat what i have done ? NO i think its now a matter of keep your freins close and your enemy's closer that way you always know the ins and outs !

Very disappointing to hear really. It's more often than not been the opposite case in my experience. All the young lads I took out with me have more than repaid the favour now they're grown men (shooting with some this coming Saturday) and others I've invited due to them not having much land to shoot on have been more than grateful. Have only had a couple taking the **** but they got short shrift and wont be back.

Given your experiences I'd say enjoy your own land while you can; ******** to the rest of 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this a couple months back on a big farm in wells that ive been doing the rat shooting on for 13 years now never had a problem or an accident and shot thousands of rats at all times of the nyt and weather when to my surprise a celebrity airgun shooter from the magazine and youtube channel shows up and offers his services to help said farmer out .

So there i am on the phone to the farmer saying im happy to let this chap shoot the rats on site to help me out because im busy at work when not 2 weeks later i turn up on site to find so called celebrity shooter filming an episode for youtube and was told that he was the main pest controller on site so just to prove a point i stayed and shot 37 rats in 2 hours and he only managed 6 so it just goes to show that even the people whos write ups and blogs you read are the same back stabbers as the others