FROZEN STEEL SHOT WOOD PIGEONS

Honeybrook

Bit of info from my own personal experience, I have used steel shot for the last 8 years for all my pigeon shooting. I use 32 gram 5s by Hull or Gamebore, using 1/4 & 1/2 choke through a Berretta Silver Pigeon. At present locally they are priced around £200 to £210 per thousand. I sell all my pigeons fresh at 50p a bird for Hawk food, which is a good price compared to the price paid by local game dealers for lead shot usually around the 20p mark. I have had no issues with the gun mechanically but don't think it would turn any heads as its used for the job & got the scars to prove it. On average I shoot just below 2 for 1 over a full season which is the same average as I had with lead shot, (that could be my shooting). This year I have picked 1188 pigeon to date. In my opinion I believe they do the job quite adequately.

I have removed some posts.

This thread is not about the merits of steel-v-lead , nor the best lead shot sizes.

The perceived wisdom is that when going from lead to steel you should increase your usual shot size,

From the BASC website, " It is recommended to use steel shot at least two shot sizes larger than you would use in lead".

If anyone wants to debate this, then start a thread in "Bullets, Cartridges and Reloading", or hit the Search function and read the many threads already posted on the subject.

I have removed some posts.

This thread is not about the merits of steel-v-lead , nor the best lead shot sizes.

The perceived wisdom is that when going from lead to steel you should increase your usual shot size,

From the BASC website, " It is recommended to use steel shot at least two shot sizes larger than you would use in lead".

If anyone wants to debate this, then start a thread in "Bullets, Cartridges and Reloading", or hit the Search function and read the many threads already posted on the subject.

If its not about steel v lead etc, then there is no need for the above

• 9 months later...

Just had my first freezer full of steel shot pigeons collected by Honeybrook and they were brilliant I phoned them on Friday after hours and left a message and true to there word they called me back the next morning first thing and arranged collection Monday .

I ask them to call me when the driver was 30 mins away to give me time to leave work and meet him and again they did as promised and called me back.

Van driver was a cracking lad, and helped with the loading, defiantly recommended.

Thanks Buckos

Hi,

We are looking for FROZEN STEEL SHOT WOOD PIGEONS. We pay .50p per pigeon and collect from all over the UK on a fortnightly basis with the exception of Scotland which is once a month. The pigeons must be shot using steel and then should have the wings and feet cut off before being frozen. The minimum we could collect is 50 at a time but we have no upper limit and we take them all year round.

Please feel free to give Guy or Dave a call on 01386 830089 to discuss or arrange a collection.

We will try to get back on here as much as possible to try and answer any questions but if we have not got back to you please just give us a call.

We also take rifle shot Rabbits and Hares we pay £1 each for Rabbits and £2.00 Hares.

We are also going to try taking Steel shot Mallard we will pay £1.00 each.

Hi Honeybrook i cant see you getting many hares as most people are getting £4 + for hares from the game dealer

But on a brighter note how do you like your rabbits ?

Guest cookoff013

now, no-one can argue that steel shells are cheap. take gamebore.....

£150 for STEEL 24g 7.5s. not the ideal bird cartridge but decoy? on the bird? dare i say sub 30yards .... they`d do, i wouldnt push them further, reason being they just dont have the BC to get there (40yrds ). the speeds quoted on most shell boxes are a guess at best with very few actually hitting the speed. its something thats been recognised for a while.

compared to hull or gamebore and express 32g steel... £240-£220-£211

£100-60 isnt peanuts...