Zink pinkfoot call

fenboy

Hi all just an old **** here with some info. I use a old plastic snow goose call that I tuned for a higher note if you look on u tube snow goose calling it may help

Also if you can whistle does not have to be loud and vibrate your whistle you will be surprised at what it sounds like on a still morning

Regards from a holbeach fowler

Hi all just an old **** here with some info. I use a old plastic snow goose call that I tuned for a higher note if you look on u tube snow goose calling it may help

Also if you can whistle does not have to be loud and vibrate your whistle you will be surprised at what it sounds like on a still morning

Regards from a holbeach fowler

Thanks I will take a look , welcome to PW, nice to have another holbeach chap aboard !

a friend calls with his mouth wolf whistle style, most amazing results sounds on the ground nothing like geese but can pull whole skiens in, he's a holbeach fowler, I however cannot whistle just after a replacement call, fancy a synthetic

Nope I cannot whistle either :whistling::whistling::whistling:

On another note I've seen Barney's on the solway come into a yapping dog

Tried to get the spaniels to call pinks no joy yet think the wife would do it though but last time she came down the marsh she got stuck!!

Motto of tale Better to take a yapping dog than a yapping wife Hahaha

regards a holbeach fowler

Aye he showed me and its longer than I thought over 30 years ago when I was a young un, If I recall n those days john used to go to whitton on a motorbike !

I think Barry Croossland actually had the moped and him and John used to go to Whitton together, Barry pulling John along on his bike. John and I was great mates and he is very much missed. People that have never heard John call can have no idea how brilliant he was and how calling with voice is so superior to any artificial caller. There is a page dedicated to John on our club's website.

For years I never used a goose call always using my mouth with some success. However as I have got older I have found difficulty reaching the high pitch needed in cold weather and have been using Haydels snow goose caller . On its own it works ok , but when used with my mates OLT caller they are brilliant. His call has a deep tone while mine is quite high pitched , team them togeather and they are magic.

Edited by anser2

Enjoyed Watching that Clip. Some Sound advice on there. One tip i would add as regards the Flask. I boil a full kettle for my first cuppa in morning and fill the Flask and boil another kettle full of water as Im having my breakfast. Then I tip out the first flask full of Water and refill with the Second boiled kettle. It makes all the difference of having a scalding cuppa later on when out fowling as opposed to a luke warm one.

As for calls' I have a white Lohams Snow Goose call and it is very Similar Sounding to the Solway call' Only it is louder and slightly higher pitched.

Well after watching the YouTube clip I realised I had the pleasure of meeting John and taking him and his friend out on shep whites to find some pinks. We made the long walk to a position near Andersons creek. If my memory serves me ok we see the geese but did not get a shot. I think this was over 20 years ago. The trip out was organised on the back of me being invited as a guest gun on a small shoot in the Retford area. This is where I first met John's friend who enquired about the chance of a trip to shoot the wash. That guy was birdsallpl. I had seen the name on here quite a few times and often thought about asking if he was the same guy I took out quite a few years ago. Well it turned out it was and we are now planning a trip out again. Will be good to catch up again after a twenty plus years gap.