Punt build

Old farrier

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your positive comments

And support I think your forum is great so helpfull to the young and novice fowlers all true sportsmen

I'm glad you like the punt I'm rather pleased with it myself (hope it floats ) just painting to finish and some oars to make and it's done

Just a idea would some off the youngster like a steppp by step on how to make a oar

Hand tools only no power tools ?

Fantastic looking Job.i would really like to build one.

Can i ask what would be the total cost of the punt build.?

Are you a joiner by trade and how difficult would you rate building one for the average man.?

I am a plasterer by trade and have a pretty good set of hands' but i think this would be beyond my capabilities.

Great Job.

It was very painfull that's picture about the only one I felt I could post there a lot better since I cut them off ( hospital tidied them up after ) cause side affects of chimotherapy drugs

Anyway enough about me have you realy got a double 4 or is it your age

Thanks again for the positive comments on my attempt at punt building

Fantastic looking Job.i would really like to build one.

Can i ask what would be the total cost of the punt build.?

Are you a joiner by trade and how difficult would you rate building one for the average man.?

I am a plasterer by trade and have a pretty good set of hands' but i think this would be beyond my capabilities.

Great Job.

Any one can do it you just have to want to

I used 3 books for reference

RPGs fowler in Ireland

Stanly dunkan complete fowler

Colin willock punt gun adventure

I think wild fowlers punt is far better than mine he has realy brought them into the 21st century

So clear out your shed and make a start

Treat it as a adventure and this is part of the journey

All the best if you want any help please feel free to ask

Hi old Farrier,

Nice looking punt what are her dimensions i.e. length, beam, spring, kammel, flare etc. I've built a couple myself so it's always interesting to see what other people do.

many thanks.

Houseboat.

1 11/2 camel

3 in spring forward 3 1/2 aft

2ft10 on floor 3ft 2 beam widest point

About 21ft long

Hope it looks about right to you bit late to alter it now

All the best

Never built anything from wood before let a lone a boat mate so I'm shure you can do it

Pm me for cost

Honestly built punt for physiotherapy hurt my hand and needed to get it working again

So if I can. Build it I'm sure you can any help feel free to ask

All the best

E6C59E7F-3D1D-47D7-AFDE-4A03FF5B2F20_zps

Hard lines about your accident Mister' it only makes what you have achieved building the punt more impressive.

I have been interested in puntgunning for a very long time but never really had the cash to do much about it or anyone over here to show me the ropes as it is not much practiced in Ireland anymore.

i have read a fair bit on puntgunning' and if i could get one built at a reasonable cost I have an idea of a Gun to put on it.

i have the space to build one but at present i just do not have the time due to Family life. But def something I want to attempt in the future and I will indeed be greatfull for some pointers when the time comes. Keep the pictures and updates coming please as this is very interesting. Thanks for your reply.

It was very painfull that's picture about the only one I felt I could post there a lot better since I cut them off ( hospital tidied them up after ) cause side affects of chimotherapy drugs

Anyway enough about me have you realy got a double 4 or is it your age

Thanks again for the positive comments on my attempt at punt building

Ha I wish it was my age, owned several double fours the last one a 23lb bland I sold a couple of years ago to a mate, the one before that was a William moore the one before that was a Gates of derby,lost count on how many double eights and single fours iv owned i was a bit of a big gun nut at one time.

Sorry about your illness old farrier looks like its not held you back in anyway, Iv pulled the lanyard myself a few times while afloat a real adrenaline rush for sure ! back out in January if you pm me you email I will send you some big gun photos . Df

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/Picture702.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/Picture678.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/wildfowling/DSC00032.jpg

Edited by Double four

Ha I wish it was my age, owned several double fours the last one a 23lb bland I sold a couple of years ago to a mate, the one before that was a William moore the one before that was a Gates of derby,lost count on how many double eights and single fours iv owned i was a bit of a big gun nut at one time.

Sorry about your illness old farrier looks like its not held you back in anyway, Iv pulled the lanyard myself a few times while afloat a real adrenaline rush for sure ! back out in January if you pm me you email I will send you some big gun photos . Df

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/Picture702.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/Picture678.jpg

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Bigboregunner/wildfowling/DSC00032.jpg

1 11/2 camel

3 in spring forward 3 1/2 aft

2ft10 on floor 3ft 2 beam widest point

About 21ft long

Hope it looks about right to you bit late to alter it now

All the best

Hi old farrier,

your boat looks fine, well done to you.

My current boat is 24ft long

23ft 3" on floor

3ft beam on the floor

4ft beam widest

1.5" spring and kammel

Well done.

HB.

Plywood 12mm bottom, 10mm sides, 6mm deck

1 5/8" Gun 24oz - 32oz max

I use to use a boat similar to yours but found it a bit cramped for two 15st + men :whistling: I guess the average man was closer to 10st a hundred + years ago, the big boat is much more forgiving on big open waters with a bit of a blow.

There's a lot of people wish they were halve as skilful as you obviously are, your build is fine.

Have a great Christmas.

HB.