looking for a .22 l.r. subsonic but "devastating" bullet

HI,

I have a special problem.

We are not allowed to use silencers but "have to" shoot some rabbits in a camping area. Because it is close to a recreation area I would avoid normal or high speed cartridges. On the one hand because of the noise and on the other hand because of the higher energy. Rabbits are always in between 20 to max. 50 m.

I first tried .22 lr subsonic by RWS / RUAG. Problem was that most of the bullet didn't open (think it was to slow to open up) and the rabbits were off.

Do you know a subsonic cartridge with a fragile bullet ?

Would be great ! :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "open up" I assume you mean expand?-Never heard of this being a problem-I've been using subs for many years and any rabbit that is hit fair and square stays down-if you are hitting them in the right place then they should be dead. Even if the bullet is abnormally slow then the round would stop in the rabbit and the shock should be lethal?

Winchester subs out to 100 yds pop the eyes out of rabbits if hit in the back of the head which is usually fairly lethal! But they always drop them on the spot if shot anywhere but the guts. If the hit sounds like a squishy thud and they run off your hitting them in the wrong plqce

HI,

I have a special problem.

We are not allowed to use silencers but "have to" shoot some rabbits in a camping area. Because it is close to a recreation area I would avoid normal or high speed cartridges. On the one hand because of the noise and on the other hand because of the higher energy. Rabbits are always in between 20 to max. 50 m.

I first tried .22 lr subsonic by RWS / RUAG. Problem was that most of the bullet didn't open (think it was to slow to open up) and the rabbits were off.

Do you know a subsonic cartridge with a fragile bullet ?

Would be great ! :)

I find that very hard to believe, even target bullets will bobzook a bunny as long as you don't hit it in the guts! CCI segmenting are the most lethal .22 sub I have ever used (and I have used a lot). They do need a lack of previous leading and lube from other branded rounds cleaning out the barrel to produce their finest accuracy though. I have actually shot bunnies running away from me with these rounds through the rear and also through the ribcage from side on runners the effect of the three segments and the separate heavy base really is very humane! I experience far less wounders than using a shotgun doing this. However non of this means anything if you miss or place your shots very poorly.

RWS subs will blow an apple to bits at 130 yards (yet normally this occurs after making a clean entry like most expanding) and recovered bullets do however open up (do not be put off by the tiny hole in the hollow point).

High speed bullets need no more consideration than subs, if your running that close to the wind you have already gone past safe limits BTW. A high speed bullet like a stinger uses a lighter bullet that will carry less energy after an impact that ricochets- like I say though if it matters you are already past the safe limits of use.

Hi all.

Yes, I was asking about an expanding bullet.
Hitting is not the problem. Often I have distances less then 30m with a bipod etc. Tested the rounds on several distances. Thats not the problem. Not good enough to have 100% headshots, but fairly enough to have 100% lethal shots in the front section.
The few rabbits which decided to join me had shots right through parts of the central nerv system or through the lounges. But all have just one small in and out hole. So the bullet just went through without any major damage.
Two things happened:
1. Rabbit had been shot on the lawn, ran away about 300m. Stopped, stumbled, laid down and just died when I reached it. Clean shot through the chest
2. While shooting on a sitting rabbit, the bullet went through the little fellow and caused a sound in the metal fence behind it. So the bullet must have went through the rabbit, was reflected by the grown ground + lawn and hit the fence behind it (about 50m away)

Both not very sufficient results in my opinion. First because of the not immediately lethal reaction, second because of the back area hazard.

I will try subsonic Winchester and Z Winchester.

Thanks for your help !

...They do need a lack of previous leading and lube from other branded rounds cleaning out the barrel to produce their finest accuracy though...

RWS subs will blow an apple to bits at 130 yards (yet normally this occurs after making a clean entry like most expanding) and recovered bullets do however open up (do not be put off by the tiny hole in the hollow point).

High speed bullets need no more consideration than subs, if your running that close to the wind you have already gone past safe limits BTW. A high speed bullet like a stinger uses a lighter bullet that will carry less energy after an impact that ricochets- like I say though if it matters you are already past the safe limits of use.

Well cleaning the gun is a good point I haven't made for some time.

I haven't tried to shoot the RWS sub sonic with an apple. But with a wood plate. And after 45m the bullets hadn't enough power to enter the surface and could be scratched off.

About the safe limits: I just shoot the rabbits at the edge of the camping place where there is nothing behind it for more than 200m. So there is no real safety problem

I haven't tried to shoot the RWS sub sonic with an apple. But with a wood plate. And after 45m the bullets hadn't enough power to enter the surface and could be scratched off.

About the safe limits: I just shoot the rabbits at the edge of the camping place where there is nothing behind it for more than 200m. So there is no real safety problem

Really? A sub 12ftlb air rifle will bury pellets into wood at 45 metres with 8ftlbs of energy at that distance. A 22 sub has 98ftlbs at that distance, 12x more :yes: And yet you say the bullets are going straight through the rabbits. :hmm:

I'm sorry to say this, but if you have rabbits making it 300 yards before dying, I think it may be down to shot placement. :yes:

Edited by turbo33

No as your post just previous shows you are not getting the backstop and backdrop bit and frankly you need some training ( I am talking safety as in not hurting someone or stock). Wood will fail to expand a bullet correctly it needs fluid and a softer substance (apples, lemons and other such fruits represent a rabbit much better) For the std shots you are taking use CCI segmenting as your placement is poor.

If your not on a wind-up mission here get help locally before an accident happens

I shot some .22 subs through 40mm kitchen worktop a few years ago and posted the pictures up on here.

If anyone is good at searching they may be able to find them, I have had a quick sniff and can't see them.

I remember them, remember we need a soft almost fluid type substance to get true expansion. You posted in a thread were I mentioned cutting straight through 3" of Cedar and 5/8" fence panels clean at 50yds when testing my home range (those same SK LR slugs expand normally within a rabbit cavity) but busted straight through without even tumbling on the hard stuff