Carp

flynny

cheers lads,

My thoughts were that it would taste earthy/muddy,

I might get one just to try it, he who dares rodders ,he who dares

ATB

Flynny

I had a carp of about 5lbs that died after capture and I bought it home for the lady next door who was French . She baked it stuffed with prawns . We had pigeon starters and Carp main course and it was very tasty.

I had a carp of about 5lbs that died after capture and I bought it home for the lady next door who was French . She baked it stuffed with prawns . We had pigeon starters and Carp main course and it was very tasty.

Now that does sound damn tasty,

Cheers pc

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

• 2 weeks later...

Best fish in batter I have tasted wasn't cod, it was pike. :good:

ive always fancyed pike but herd it was very boney and muddy tasting? an old boy in the village used to catch them keep them alive in his bath for as long as he could a day or two normally then eat them and said they tasted better than cod id certainly give carp and pike ago but would have to be farmed the local otter population along the river waveny has nearly wiped out the wild carp and pike population!

Its carp! :lol:

Seriously, bottom feeders like this need long purging by no feeding in clean clear running water to taste their best. Pike and Zander are excellent but again best from super clean clear water, Eel and perch likewise. In fact Perch were commercially fished from Lake Windermere during WW2, Bream were well thought of once over but I suspect once again they didn't come from muddy meres

From where i'm coming from, the Danube and Danube Delta had feed our people for thousands of years.... I grew up with pike, zander, catfish, perch, carp and so on... if u ask me, the fresh water fish is much better than sea fish.

Many say that, my thoughts are NOTHING beats Salmon, Sea trout and Eel that has come from the salt back into fresh water. The proviso is just it peaks about 24- 48 hrs into fresh then steadily declines

• 5 weeks later...

They were selling large bream in the arndale fish market in Manchester. Proper slabs. Also the wife of the owner of arnfield fishery in glossop sits on the dock and catches perch which she fries up for fun. Not for me though, not squeamish but after thirty five years coarse fishing, just seems wrong

They were selling large bream in the arndale fish market in Manchester. Proper slabs. Also the wife of the owner of arnfield fishery in glossop sits on the dock and catches perch which she fries up for fun. Not for me though, not squeamish but after thirty five years coarse fishing, just seems wrong

Bream is okay, but have loads of bones... The big perch is delicious on the barbecue though...