Ringers sock decoys - members reviews

Lg1

been out today with the ringers the birds would not decoy stood out about 60 yards and looked at the pattern and the ringers were very shiny .brought them in and used some shells with wings glued on and pulled birds most birds decoyed after that birds are not in any numbers here too much choice to feed on but that's pigeon shooting every days different been shooting them for 45 years and still enjoy it good shooting

• 4 weeks later...

I have not seen a single good review yet of these decoy add ons.

Appart from everyone saying THEY LOOK GREAT which they do but i am a fisherman so easily hooked.

I have used just about every type of decoy including dead birds and to be very honest i can't beat Sillosocks for

out performing them all,well apart from in very very windy conditions they flap a bit too much so everything has a weakness

so i am wondering what the strengths are of the Ringers Decoys.

so still waiting for a good honest field review not a paid one like magazine advert.

Ime not knocking the Ringers i just don't want to buy some to throw into my box of useless fishing lures because there not cheap

especially when you have to buy full body decoys as well they work out at about £10 per decoy.

Cheers

Daz

I dont know about full £10 each , I brougfht some brand new full bodied for around £2.50 each to put mine on .

I have not given them a good test yet as there have not been enough birds about , but I did try them for a while on Saturday and what few were about decoyed very well to them .

Yes they may well look better to us than the pigeon but who knows , at the end of the day pigeon will be pigeon and I have had plenty of days where its difficult to even get them to commit to dead birds .

In general a bad decoy in the right place is always going to be better than a good one in the wrong one.

Edited by fenboy

I suppose if you already have full bodied decoys but either are getting tatty or are not flocked then buying the ringers or silosocks is a good way to reinvigorate them.

If buying them along with the decoys as well then yes it will get expensive, silosock jackets are half the price of ringers so well worth considering & I'm debating which ones to get to go over my full bodied deeks.

Pigeons will be pigeons and the same decoys same pattern etc will have different results on different days.

A good test would be setting up and changing decoys during day to see if there is any differance 😊.

I dont know about full £10 each , I brougfht some brand new full bodied for around £250 each to put mine on .

I have not given them a good test yet as there have not been enough birds about , but I did try them for a while on Saturday and what few were about decoyed very well to them .

Yes they may well look better to us than the pigeon but who knows , at the end of the day pigeon will be pigeon and I have had plenty of days where its difficult to even get them to commit to dead birds .

In general a bad decoy in the right place is always going to be better than a good one in the wrong one.

You got some dosh fenboy. :lol:

Well if its ok I will add my humble opinion to this discussion.....I'm not an experienced shooter as I have only recently taken up the sport, but I do have 3 "old hands" who I go shooting with who all have different decoys so get to compare on the same day as them and the ringers have out performed their decoys almost everytime! My dad and he's two pals have been very impressed watching how confidently they come into them but we've all noticed that when the sun is shining brightly they do shine a little and the glint can put them off at the last minute. Even so compared to what they're using the pigeons do come in confidently.....I've even tried swapping half way through the day with my dad and there was a definite difference in the numbers willing to commit. Not an exact science I know but I can only speak how I have found them!

Well if its ok I will add my humble opinion to this discussion.....I'm not an experienced shooter as I have only recently taken up the sport, but I do have 3 "old hands" who I go shooting with who all have different decoys so get to compare on the same day as them and the ringers have out performed their decoys almost everytime! My dad and he's two pals have been very impressed watching how confidently they come into them but we've all noticed that when the sun is shining brightly they do shine a little and the glint can put them off at the last minute. Even so compared to what they're using the pigeons do come in confidently.....I've even tried swapping half way through the day with my dad and there was a definite difference in the numbers willing to commit. Not an exact science I know but I can only speak how I have found them!

You'll find that pigeons commit better at different times of the day. I have had some days where the bag has doubled in the last hour as pigeons desperately try to get in to feed.

What decoys are the other shooters and your dad using?

You'll find that pigeons commit better at different times of the day. I have had some days where the bag has doubled in the last hour as pigeons desperately try to get in to feed.

What decoys are the other shooters and your dad using?

One of them is using the pro decoy neoprene decoys......dad bless him is using a mix and match of half shells and full bodies with a couple of dead pigeons and the other is using fud decoys and a few full bodied decoys. That's very interesting regards you doubling up in the last hour, I've been thinking about getting out around midday and going through to late afternoon to mix it up a little......being from a fishing background I've done this to great success and had some of my best fishing late on.....saying that I know what I'm doing when it comes to barbell/chub fishing :yes::yes:

As I no longer can be bothered getting on the fields at the crack of dawn (especially in lousy weather) for pigeon shooting , I find a mid morning approach, part recce and part hedge standing (no decoys, no hide), with the intention of being set up by 1-2pm and then shooting until the birds go to roost, works extremely well.

Shooting between 11am and 2pm can be very slow, except in hard winters when the birds can be on the rape fields all the time there is light.

The strange thing is when shooting over areas where pigeons and corvids are on the crop, although the pigeons disappear through the middle of the day, the corvids don't seem to.

• 2 weeks later...

As I no longer can be bothered getting on the fields at the crack of dawn (especially in lousy weather) for pigeon shooting , I find a mid morning approach, part recce and part hedge standing (no decoys, no hide), with the intention of being set up by 1-2pm and then shooting until the birds go to roost, works extremely well.

Shooting between 11am and 2pm can be very slow, except in hard winters when the birds can be on the rape fields all the time there is light.

The strange thing is when shooting over areas where pigeons and corvids are on the crop, although the pigeons disappear through the middle of the day, the corvids don't seem to.

Do you think that's because the pigeon are more gluttenous, and eat everything they can find edible. And the corvids are a bit fussier or take thier time?

• 6 months later...